What's new

what is the correct order to use alum block/aftershaver/aftershave balm etc after your shave?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Since I use, or used WH as a rinsing agent, I'd go liquid .. if it is to be used as a stop bleeding tool there are others

Reactions: saj
no alum block here.
(I keep a Clubman styptic pencil for any nics, and spot-treat)

I do: Thayers Toner, let dry. Then Aftershave splash or balm, but never both.

my question is what is an alum block used for?? I use my soap, and currently old spice after shave, I ordered witch hazel because I am now working and have to wear a mask all day and was starting to break out think the witch hazel will help

hello there, im a noob and i think im doing it wrong so i just want to know is there such a thing as doing it the 'correct' way?

what do you apply straight after shaving, alum block first or aftershave or aftershave balm etc etc?
I'd argue the best thing to do after the shave is to thoroughly rinse your face with cold water to seal the pores. if you're nicks and weepers free, there is no need to use an alum. Pat your face dry with a clean towel or microfiber cloth.

Then apply your favorite A/S splash or balm. There is no need to use both, it's an overkill and defeats the purpose.

If you have sensitive skin, avoid products with high %-age of alcohol.

IMO the best way to use alum is not at all.

Among the reasons are: the salt dries out the skin, the average wetshaving enthusiast has no use for the mild antiseptic effect anyway, and the texture of the block's surface may add irritation when rubbed on the face.

A shave should never end with lots of irritation, nicks or cuts. Alum is not a solution to any of that: fixing the shave is. All of these are signs that the shave is too aggressive for the technique, skin and/or beard, and should be dialed down.

Of course, significant skin damage is often an inevitable consequence of trying new hardware; however the alum block adds fuel to the fire, instead of helping heal the damage, and this will prematurely age the skin.

For weepers, a styptic pencil is less bad, since it's a spot treatment.

Better yet is to just leave your skin to seal itself (apply pressure, if needed); the reason why this is often not an option, is hurry, because of shaving in the morning and/or on limited time.

Second best would be to wash alum away after applying it. Some leave it on, but then again lots also like alcohol-based aftershaves, even though they're obviously not a good thing for your skin. (sad, since they often DO smell great)

This from my personal experience with alum blocks, however, among the influencers, mantic generally agrees with what I wrote above.

If you require use of an alum block after shaving, you need to re-evaluate your technique, blades, razor or maybe your soap.
Nicks, weepers or irritation are not part of a quality shave.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Me, I shave, rinse, apply the alum block and rinse again. Finally, while my face is still wet, I apply CeraVe Moisturizer. That's pretty much it, as I've foregone aftershaves for CeraVe. Skin looks and feels better that way. Plus, there's nothing to conflict with with any frag I might use.

I've tried most combinations and it depends on the day...
For years I shaved in the shower with a cartridge and some cream done hastily as I use to work early morning and then finish late. No moisturiser, no nothing and if I didn't have cream, I'd shave anyway raw water only. My skin didn't like it but that's life. As I had more time I shaved with a DE and just cream, no brush... things evolved with birthday gifts... and so too various methods.

Now that shaving has become a hobby, I happily try anything that crosses my path. I predominately shave with a DE, always learning and love experimenting.

Here are my steps and some added thoughts:
1) If using a badger I soak brush here. Then Shower, wash etc. Dry myself.
2) Apply warm to hot water to face.
2.1) Run hot water in the bowl with my razor in the bowl to warm it up.
2.2) If cream, I take out required amount, I then run my brush under warm water and empty the hot water that's warmed my bowl.
3) Pre-shave (*sometimes. I've used oils, lotions etc.)
4) Create WARM Lather a bit thicker because I add more warm to hot water on the face. My lather is alway something between a bowl and face lather as I have some warm on the face.
5) Shave. If cut between passes I like to use a styptic immediately.
6) Finally rinse warm to remove lather then cold
7) Here people use Alum and/or Witch Hazel. I find Alum rough and not as good at stopping bleeding but helpful especially if I've tried an aggressive shave, then I'll use Alum, wash off and witch hazel.
8) After Shave Balm (I don't use a splash as most contain alcohol which is bad for the skin).
9) (I don't do this but will experiment)... moisturiser.
10) Eau du Toilette. (I apply this to my clothes 2-3 sprays but some makes it onto my skin as I apply it at roughly shoulder level)

Nicks, cuts, weepers can and do happen, in fact, I'd say that they are inevitable though never desirable and are best to avoided. I do somewhat agree that we need to avoid them but when shaving with sharp instruments, it happens and especially when trying new hardware and software.

I've found that the cushion is important and less cushion (preshave/cream/soap) and/or higher aggression (blade/razor) results in nicks as my skin isn't perfectly smooth and I have a prominent chin (I could use it as a shelf and fit a few books on it). Finding your "best" shave often results in experimentation and so too the desire to try new things... but achieving my best shave for me is to have a close shave without any nicks or cuts... However this may not be everyone's best shave to them, the function of hair removal may be a consequence of the method that they like to use. The goal is to enjoy their favourite method and simply master their technique over time.

Also my shave may change in the future... nothing is written in stone.

Just my 2 satoshi's

Last edited:
Top Bottom