What's new

What is the best straight for a coarse/thick beard?

Hey guys,

Been only shaving for a month now with my Boker Radium which I understand is a wedge design. I am about ready to start the razor collection but have read in some places that full hollow blades aren't best for think beards. Please help. What straights would you guys recommend?

I have a fairly coarse beard, and my thoughts are: as long as its honed properly, it should do the trick. Many people will say that a wedge is better because it weighs more and has less flex... I think that it is a true YMMV situation. Good luck sir!

I also think that any properly honed straight will work, but for my tastes I like a slightly heavier razor (but not quite a wedge). I tend to gravitate towards a 1/4 hollow.

Yep. To me it doesn't matter about the grind. It's what feels best in your hand that makes the difference; as long as it's honed properly.

+1. What these guys said!

i do like my wedges but any well honed razor does the job! Just tonight I used an extra hollow I just honed and like butter it took down my coarse thick hair

I thought wedgy worked best until I got my Mappin & Webb which is very hollow and works great. But it could be that whoever honed that razor was a lot more competent than I am at it.
I've had good luck on Framebacks as well.

My beard is also pretty thick and coarse. I shaved with a full wedge today, for the first time. It was properly honed, and I got my best shave ever. I really like the thicker blade, it seems to be smoother on the face.

A well sharpened hollow grind. The more hollow, the better. I find large ones - 7/8+ - easier to use and small ones - 4/8 - more fun.

I don't have a thick or heavy beard, but agree that hone and edge count for the most when shaving. I love my extra and full hollows, and I love my 1/4s and liked the wedge I used. they provide a different feel and feedback, but they all do the job when properly honed.

the only grind I don't much like is 1/2 hollow in 5/8 and 6/8. the middle doesn't seem to please me, but I like the offerings at either end of the spectrum.

There you go. As usual, no consensus. And opposite answers.
Since you are starting a collection, sounds like you need to get one of each type and see what works best for you.

In my case, I have a few favorite razors and they just have nothing in common. So I can not give a categorical answer.
My favorites so far are:
Hyena - 5/8 - 3/4 hollow
Fontenille (8) - 11/16 - near wedge
Mappin & Webb (Mr trustworthy) - 6/8 - full hollow
Leresche (trempe infernal) - Frameback
Le Grelot (Lotus) - 6/8 - 1/2 hollow

Go figure

I have curly coarse beard and my favourite straight razor is C.V. Heljestrand MK 30 or 31, both of them shave really nice coarse beard.

And I still have my Gillette Mach 3! It is reminding me from top of the cabin about really bad shaving :)

Thanks guys for all the input. Since I do want to start the collection I guess I will just order a few different types that were recommended and give them a shot. Having too many straights can't be a bad thing.

Thanks guys for all the input. Since I do want to start the collection I guess I will just order a few different types that were recommended and give them a shot. Having too many straights can't be a bad thing.

Never a bad thing. And if you end up not liking them you can trade them on the forum for a fountain pen, a brush, or more!

My beard is more akin to fur than hair. That said this morning I took it down with a pair of half hollow vintages. I find, as others do, that the honing has more effect than the grind. If it's sharp, and you are comfortable and proficient, any blade will do the job.

Gold dollar with enough lapping film to hone it forever... I think it's more important to learn edge maintenance then blade type...

Top Bottom