What's new

What is the best new razor?

After getting burned on Ebay for the last time, I've decided to buy a newly made razor. I understand that means buying imported.

So I'm throwing it out there to all: What is a "best buy" in new safety razors?

It's hard to say because of YMMV, but you won't complain about the construction, finish, and design of the Edwin Jagger and Muhl razors. I consider them modern day classics. Probably the best quality razors available new today. I like the EJ DE89L.

I've heard that Merkur razors can suffer from finish quality issues, though they're supposed to be fine shavers. I haven't used a Merkur, myself.

K.T.

Yep. Edwin Jagger would be the way to go. I have the DE86.

+1,000,000

The Edwin Jagger/ Mule razors are the best available on the current market. Simply wonderful razors all around.

P.S. The only difference between the EJ, and Muhle is the handle. The heads are the same. So just decide which handle design you like more: the classic knurling of the Muhle R89, or the lined handle of the EJ DE89L.

+1 on everything said before the EJ DE89L is very good as it the Merkur HD. P.S Since you got burned on eBay the BST is a much better place to get vintage razors (it's also considerably cheaper too.) :thumbup:

Regards Grant

+1,000,000

The Edwin Jagger/ Mule razors are the best available on the current market. Simply wonderful razors all around.

P.S. The only difference between the EJ, and Muhle is the handle. The heads are the same. So just decide which handle design you like more: the classic knurling of the Muhle R89, or the lined handle of the EJ DE89L.

The Muhle R89's handle is .4 ounces lighter, which some say can affect the balance since they both use the same head. I have both and I like the feel of the R89 handle better. Both are excellent razors.

The best I've handled is the Pils. Remarkably good shaver, as well. However, if the price leaves your MasterCard in a fetal position under the bed, try the EJ DE89L. The DE89L has taken a lot of stubble off my face and the fit'n'finish is top shelf. I also tbink the Merkur Futur is a very good razor at a fair price.

I've handled all the non-adjustable Merkurs, but don't think their build quality as good as EJ/Mühle. They may be good shavers, but I think the better finish and superb shaving quality of EJ/Mühle puts them ahead.

I have a pretty good shave with the Merkur classic 33c, but the EJ DE89L takes the cake...I'm sportin' a EJ 89 shave right now, and I have one smooooth face :thumbup1:

+1,000,000

Agree as well.

For bang for the buck, I like the Feather Portable, now discontinued but readily available here on B & B from Pauldog. Simple and nothing to look at, but nice weight and balance. Shaves like a Gillette Tech, but more aggressive - but not too aggressive.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Yep. Edwin Jagger would be the way to go. I have the DE86.

I have to agree.
I was so impressed with the Edwin Jagger DE89 when I received it, that I also ordered the DE87 immediately.
The Chrome finish you find on these razors is unbeatable and the overall building quality is truly outstanding.
Edwin Jagger Double Edge razors are simply the finest available on the market today.

I don't have any experience with current production razors except for a Futur. And the Futur seems to be a very polarizing razor. Some folks love it and other hate it. I am in the latter category. So, I can't be of any use to you in that regard, but if you are wanting to acquire something vintage and have given up on eBay, check the BST (buy/sell/trade) section of the forum. Great razors go up daily for very fair prices. And you can trust folks here. If there is a specific vintage razor you want, try posting in the WTB section. Sometimes your wait will be longer, but you'll probably get what you are looking for.

You won't get it on the B/S/T via Pauldog anymore. He no longer sells on this forum.

You can however, buy a sweet little starter kit that has the Feather Portable, and a whole bunch of other goodies from Gentleman's Best for $24 shipped.

http://gentlemensbest.com/ShavingKits.aspx

Did not know that. Thanks for the clarification. Does look like he still has them on eBay BIN for $12.00 + $4.00 shipping in case someone does not want the extras. The GB kit, which includes a brush, cream, soap, blades, ... does look like a fabulous deal though...

I don't have any experience with current production razors except for a Futur. And the Futur seems to be a very polarizing razor. Some folks love it and other hate it. I am in the latter category. So, I can't be of any use to you in that regard, but if you are wanting to acquire something vintage and have given up on eBay, check the BST (buy/sell/trade) section of the forum. Great razors go up daily for very fair prices. And you can trust folks here. If there is a specific vintage razor you want, try posting in the WTB section. Sometimes your wait will be longer, but you'll probably get what you are looking for.

You've just described my eBay experience. Too many shady operators selling too much misrepresented trash, or pulling a "bait and switch" on you. I may give BST a try.

Some bargains can occasionally be found on eBay, there are definitely some shady folks out there. Most of my dealings there have been positive, but a few didn't describe everything that I would have liked them to. On BST, folks usually go out of there way to describe every little hair line scratch. So, you know what you are getting and its almost always better than described/pictured. And its fairly common to find an extra goodie or two thrown in with whatever you buy. I know I try to do this when I have something that I can toss in. Definitely try BST. And if you don't see what you want, then post a WTB (want-to-buy) ad and see what happens.

For bang for the buck, I like the Feather Portable, now discontinued but readily available here on B & B from Pauldog. Simple and nothing to look at, but nice weight and balance. Shaves like a Gillette Tech, but more aggressive - but not too aggressive.

+1 on the Feather Portable. I have one and it's a great, inexpensive razor. They're no longer produced but can be found NOS. A fine, under-appreciated razor.

It's like a Gillette ball end Tech with a shorter handle (and better balance, IMO. The handles are interchangeable between the two). That extra bit of aggressiveness is just right. It handles nimbly, like a sports car. I really like the design. Instead of the ball and the curves of a Gillette ball end Tech, it has a knurled cylinder milled out at the bottom of the handle, and the neck has an angled look. It reminds of something you'd see in the original 1977 Star Wars, maybe like the handle of a light saber. Very cool.

K.T.

Best bang for the buck? Another vote for the Feather Portable. Hands down, the best buy ever.
Next the progress.
Next the ej 89L.
Long slant 4th.
23c 5th.
IMHO.

Top Bottom