What's new

What is the best new razor?

For me the open comb Muehle R41. Closest thing out there to a Gillette New IMHO.

That is a nice razor.:thumbup:

For starters you can't go wrong with the Mühle R89. The EJ's are probably just as nice. Nothing wrong with the shave of a Merkur but for the small difference in price and the much larger difference in fit & finish I would go for a Mühle or an EJ.

OK, I've decided to try the vintage route. Found two user grade Gillette Adjustable TTOs in dire need of cleaning for $11. If that fails, then I'll look at new.

I will toss out another....NEW option.

Cooncatbob's replated NEW head on a handle of your choice seems like the best of all worlds. Vintage Gillette head coupled with inpecible workmanship on a handle of your dreams.

I will toss out another....NEW option.

Cooncatbob's replated NEW head on a handle of your choice seems like the best of all worlds. Vintage Gillette head coupled with inpecible workmanship on a handle of your dreams.

I second that.

Then again, the Feather Stainless I'm using is very impressive (never mind the emotional price/value debate). I'm also due to finally try a Edwin Jagger DE89 soon, thanks to the kindness of one of our fine members. I'm sure it will live up to its billing!

fp, which adjustables did you purchase? Have fun with them!

After a couple of hours of cleaning, I was able to read the date codes. I am now the proud owner of a 1958 "Fat Boy" adjustable and a 1963 "Slim" adjustable. Handles are corroded but the collars and heads are shiny. Additional time with baking soda and a toothbrush cleaned up the handles.

Last edited:
After a couple of hours of cleaning, I was able to read the date codes. I am now the proud owner of a 1958 "Fat Boy" adjustable and a 1963 "Slim" adjustable. Handles are brassed but the collars and heads are shiny.

Excellent! Please post pics when you can!

If you can handle the aggression, The Futur is the ticket - my go to razor, it gets results from a variety of blades:thumbup1:

I don't regularly shave with a safety razor, thus I only own one and can't comment on the "best". My first was a Gillette Fatboy which I quickly returned to ebay; I found it uninspiring.

Based on heavy touting here, I acquired a Mühle R89 (I prefer the look over the Edwin Jagger version). It's been fantastic for me as long as I avoid Derby blades. I like it so much that I gifted one to a family member. It doesn't match the shave provided by my straight razors, but it's more than satisfactory for a quick pass when I'm short on time. Good luck!

I love the merkur HD...... But it lacks the class of a vintage gillette. I too believeprices for these are going mental at the moment but as already been mentioned you are unlikely to be ripped off buying here! Don't give up on vintage razors yet. The Germans build a sturdy razor but in my view vintage gillettes are tough to beat. I would start with a flare tip super speed.... Still plentiful and cheap. If the Rad doesn't get you ( unlikely) it will quite probably prove to Be the only razor you ever need.

I have to admit, it is a good-looking razor. But I tried the Fat Boy this AM and had the best shave since I was 17.

well I've got nothing to compare it to, but my first and only DE has been the Merkur 34C. the finish is perfect, as is the shave. this Razor ain't going anywhere.

H

hathela

Merkur Model 38 Hd Classic "Barber Pole" Long Safety Razor..

my favourite

Barber Pole Handle
Long Handle 3-3/4"
A Firm Grip
Solid Brass Core & Polished Chrome Finish
Made in Solingen, Germany

Top Bottom