What's new

What is the best natural aftershave to use?

What is the best natural aftershave to use? I am talking about 100% natural things to use like an alum block and then aloe vera gel. I currently have been using an alum block and then a bit of witch hazel water after that too. I want to try some other natural aftershaves they can be moisturizers as well.

Like @ewk said, you can just add a few ingredients to good witch hazel (like Dickinson's).

Vegetable glycerin and a bit of essential oil added to the witch hazel may be all you need. I've been using orange and lemongrass recently. I've also used lemon combined with lavender. Peppermint can be nice in warmer weather. Just don't overdo the concentration on the essential oils, that's not good.

I do like to use alum sometimes.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
What is the best natural aftershave to use? I am talking about 100% natural things to use like an alum block and then aloe vera gel. I currently have been using an alum block and then a bit of witch hazel water after that too. I want to try some other natural aftershaves they can be moisturizers as well.

I've also been on a search for good natural/organic aftershave lotions.

I can't say yet which one is 'best' for me, but here are some possible candidates you might want to consider.

I've tried these products and like them:

Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated Aftershave

Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic

I found these products online, but haven't tried them yet:

Weleda Aftershave Balm

Face of Danger Organic Aftershave Lotion

Woody's Aftershave Tonic

I'm sure there are many more that I haven't come across yet, but I am curious enough about the above three that I would like to try them some day.

I don't necessarily have sensitive skin, but I just like the idea of using as natural (chemical & synthetic free) products as possible on my face. I have oily skin, so I prefer a liquid rather than a balm or cream.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited:

Welcome to B&B, Sir BaldnBeard!
Here's just one other possibility for you...

proxy.php

I believe it is possible but not feasible, to me at least, to use "100% natural things" on daily basis. The only aftershave, although I wouldn't consider it an aftershave by my definition, that I used and is 100% natural is the alum block (that is potassium alum).
I did try one time the aloe vera gel from the leaf of the plant, and that was it.
The rest of the aftershaves are in some percentage natural, the rest is one form or another processed, transformed, preserved...

Let's call our in-house (resident?) cosmetologist @FarmerTan and get a professional opinion.

Good luck.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I believe it is possible but not feasible, to me at least, to use "100% natural things" on daily basis. The only aftershave, although I wouldn't consider it an aftershave by my definition, that I used and is 100% natural is the alum block (that is potassium alum).
I did try one time the aloe vera gel from the leaf of the plant, and that was it.
The rest of the aftershaves are in some percentage natural, the rest is one form or another processed, transformed, preserved...

Let's call our in-house (resident?) cosmetologist @FarmerTan and get a professional opinion.

Good luck.
Natural is a funny thing. And skin is often neglected.

Cool water rinses, several, are a good idea. Don't "scrub" your face after a shave, blot it.

I have leather for skin most days, but when I want to treat my face with the care it deserves any aftershave will do my skin. I've never tried it, but I can't help but think that Spieck has to be a great place to start.

Exfoliating before a shave is a no-no. Your skin exfoliates constantly anyway. Dust mites need to eat something doggone!

INGREDIENT BREAKDOWN
Natural alcohol - used to extract the whole herbs in this formula (we actually infuse the entire plant in alcohol to get all the properties inherent to the herb, instead of just a few). It doubles as an astringent to reduce infection from any micro cuts that can occur with shaving.
Witch hazel - helps combat the after-effects of shaving by bringing the skin down to its optimal pH to resume normal function.
Aloe - has been shown to help in the proliferation of TGF-beta1, which are a family of cytokines absolutely essential for efficient wound healing. In addition to wound-healing, aloe leaf gel has been shown to reduce pain levels and prevent infection.
Yarrow - has antimicrobial and pain relieving traits, as well as being deeply nourishing and restorative. It aids in healing broken capillaries and is ideal for sensitive skin as well as problematic skin.
Calendula - C. officinalis stimulates the production of connective and smooth muscle actin, promoting skin-healing, skin hydration and comfort.
German Chamomile - anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and anti-biotic. Well known for calming and soothing irritated skin.
Elder flower - contains antioxidants that protect against sun and other free-radical damage. Promotes blood circulation. Flowers are packed with vitamins A, B, C, and E which are excellent for making the skin firmer and improving complexion.
Bay leaf - anti-inflammatory properties bring down puffiness in the skin without causing loss of moisture.
Rose flower - reduces redness and calms the skin. Astringent and antibacterial properties. High in vitamin C to help stimulate collagen, and high levels of vitamin E to moisturize skin.
Peppermint - has local anesthetic properties that promote a cool sensation on the skin
Lavender flower - speeds the healing of wounds, cuts, and burns. Anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. Fights bacteria, calms skin and reduces swelling.
Lemon fruit - astringent and anti-microbial. A natural source of alpha hydroxy acids to improve cell regeneration.
PRODUCT DETAILS
  • Gluten free
  • Vegan
  • Cruelty Free

Good stuff, getting harder to find in my area (Seattle)

Natural is a funny thing. And skin is often neglected.

Cool water rinses, several, are a good idea. Don't "scrub" your face after a shave, blot it.

I have leather for skin most days, but when I want to treat my face with the care it deserves any aftershave will do my skin. I've never tried it, but I can't help but think that Spieck has to be a great place to start.

Exfoliating before a shave is a no-no. Your skin exfoliates constantly anyway. Dust mites need to eat something doggone!
I exfoliate in the shower with Cremo's No. 6 Body Wash. Mix of Pacific Sea Salt & Grapfruit about 2-3 times a week in the winter. Exfoliate- rinse- soap up rinse dry off then shave

Yeah, I second(?) some alcohol-free witch hazel/toner (Thayer's is a good bet), but I recommend also using an alum block and/or some jojoba oil, the latter for moisturizing.

Personally, after first rinsing with cold water, I rub the alum block over my face, let it sit for a bit, rinse it off, and then splash on toner and apply a few drops of the jojoba oil.

Top Bottom