What's new

What is the best knot out there

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
When you say top of the line, do you mean most expensive? There was a post not too long ago regarding the price of a brush in relation to its performance. While nothing was really resolved in my mind since performance is in the face of the latherer, there is a point where price no longer has bearing on the quality of the brush, although a brush made out of Virgin White Unicorn Horn will set you back a pretty penny regardless of how well the knot is made or how well it performs.
I have done a bunch or research and The Golden Nib finest, grade A silvertip and super silvertip seem to be favorites for reknots. I have also read Shavemac sells replacement knots...
Good luck in your search!!:thumbup1:

The best replacement knot you would likely find is a Shavemac, but be forewarned you'll pay as much or more for the knot alone than for an already assembled Shavemac brush. But, if you want highest quality, you likely won't find anything better. Otherwise, the TGN super silvertip and extra-stuffed finest are very very good at a fraction of the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/28mm-SILVERTIP-...612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414832d6ec

You don't want to buy just any silvertip knot, because many of the machine tied knots will be trimmed to give them the bulbous shape. You want the hairs to remain untrimmed. I was searching for a hand made knot, with no trimming. I bought this knot (link above) from an e-bay seller in Arizona. After I received it in the mail, I looked at the hairs under a microscope to varify that they were untrimmed. The knot was as advertised. It produces a wonderful lather, and feels and looks great! I realize the size is not what you're looking for, but this seller may have other knots closer to your size. If you can't find a 21mm knot, I'd recommend buying a 22mm, and using a dremmel, or hand sand, to open your brush a little, if there's enough room on top for a 22. Here's a picture of the brush I made with this knot. I love it!

You don't want to buy just any silvertip knot, because many of the machine tied knots will be trimmed to give them the bulbous shape. You want the hairs to remain untrimmed. I was searching for a hand made knot, with no trimming. I bought this knot (link above) from an e-bay seller in Arizona. After I received it in the mail, I looked at the hairs under a microscope to varify that they were untrimmed. The knot was as advertised. It produces a wonderful lather, and feels and looks great! I realize the size is not what you're looking for, but this seller may have other knots closer to your size. If you can't find a 21mm knot, I'd recommend buying a 22mm, and using a dremmel, or hand sand, to open your brush a little, if there's enough room on top for a 22. Here's a picture of the brush I made with this knot. I love it!

That knot should be a good one. It's a TGN. The seller is TGN's ebay store. Hmmm... looks like you even saved $1 buying on ebay rather than his website (after you figure in shipping).

Most expensive doesn't necessarily mean best for you.
I've found that Silver tipped brush heads get to floppy for my liking and that the less expensive grade of Badger are more to my liking.
I'm using one of Tony's 22 mm Black Badger knots as my daily brush.
proxy.php

The only other brush that I have is an Art of shaving brush. I was in the market for what the top of the line replacement knot is.

That's like asking "what's the best vehicle out there?" Depends on if you have 3 kids to haul around, or want to go pick up girls downtown.

Are you a face latherer or bowl? Soaps or creams? Hard soaps or soft soaps? Do you like scritchy, scratchy or smooth? Fan or bulb shaped? Are you more of a long-lofter, or do you prefer shorter knots? There's no one right answer.

Most expensive doesn't necessarily mean best for you.
I've found that Silver tipped brush heads get to floppy for my liking and that the less expensive grade of Badger are more to my liking.
I'm using one of Tony's 22 mm Black Badger knots as my daily brush.
proxy.php

Those are some fine looking brushes. Really nice.:thumbup1:

I got a great Knot from The Golden Nib (TGN), but also got a great, dense, D01 variety knot from Bernd at Shavemac...two distinctly different bristle types for two handles I restored, you can also talk to Ian at Frank Shaving and see what he has to offer. Two-band Finest is what I would do, but it may not be right for what you want.

As with anything YMMV.

Good luck!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Not too many options: Shavemac ($$$) or TGN ($), both have a variety of grades, shapes and sizes available.

+1 on what has been said already.

If you want the best of the best Shavemac DO1 or D01 two band are the best. If you want something cheaper that is almost as good I would say TGN Super Silvertip or extra stuffed finest. I have and very much enjoy a black badger as well, but the tips are a bit to scritchy to be a daily brush for me. I think I have the exact same black pearl handle badger from the TGN picture.

Last edited:
Top Bottom