What's new

What is the best DE currently in production?

What's the best?... That's a rather loaded question, and definitely one where YMMV. Right now for me my Gillette Red Tip is the bomb. That my change as I save my pennies for my next acquisition. :p

What's the best?... That's a rather loaded question, and definitely one where YMMV. Right now for me my Gillette Red Tip is the bomb. That my change as I save my pennies for my next acquisition. :p

Do they still make the Gillette red?

Are you asking a question or making a statement?
Are you seeking conformation of of your opinion?
How many different razors have you shaved with the makes you believe the Futur is the best?
Best is such an subjective term that 10 shavers will have 10 different razors that they believe are the best.
I like a lot of different razors and try them with a variety of different blades and I still find best to be elusive.

This is sort of like asking who the best hockey player in Guam is. There are simply very few contenders out there, and none of them are great. I was not impressed by any of the four Merkurs I tried, and I am left wondering if there was more and better competition out there we'd see better design, tooling, and plating on these modern DE's. Of the ones I tried, Muhle makes the best heads, and partially because of this I think the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth is the best DE I tried.

Nope... Alas the much vaunted Red Tip has been relegated to history as is any DE made by Gillette. Cartridge razors are much more profitable dontcha know dere eh...

Caveat Alert: This post is just my opinion and, as usual, YMMV.

Hmmm....this is a tough question and probably controversial one. What is does "best" mean in your context? Well, I'll define the best razor as being a razor that is readily available (and affordable), gives the best possible shave for a diverse variety of shavers, performs well with a various blades and has a high quality fit and finish.

If I were to choose based upon the above criteria it would be the Merkur Futur. This razor makes even mediocre blades fairly serviceable and has a fit and finish that is quite good when compared to other Merkur razors. It's adjustable nature makes it suitable for most DE shavers. Is it perfect? No, but it does shave very well. Does it give me the closest shave? No, I get that from my 39C slant but the Futur is what I believe is the best all around razor, even more than the Merkur Progress.

Last edited:
How many different razors have you shaved with the makes you believe the Futur is the best?
Best is such an subjective term that 10 shavers will have 10 different razors that they believe are the best.
I like a lot of different razors and try them with a variety of different blades and I still find best to be elusive.

+1. I'm not sure which of my DE razors I like the best and my last few shaves with a SE Gem may have been even better.

I'm asking a question hence the question mark.
I'm curious about other peoples opinion.
Only the Futur, Vision and HD from those currently in production.
Hence why I asked a question on a shaving forum. I'm curious to find out what other peoples opinions are.
Then why respond to a thread asking a question you have no answer to?

+1 on the slant....for me, i get the best shaves from this guy...not the prettiest....but whatever, this is only according to me, im no authority on wetshaving, i just spend a lot of money on it :laugh:

I'm sure that just about every member will have their own opinion on what's best. For me its the Merkur 1904, hands down. :thumbup1: But check with 99 other members and I'll bet you'll only find a few who might agree. That's why YMMV came into existence. :thumbup1:

When you ask for the best, you're tending to ask for a universal answer, but one which is still an opinion. It's like asking who the best current NBA player is. Some will say Kobe, and others will say Lebron, and others will answer Michael Jordan, having not carefully read the question. They all have a good case for their opinions, but the implication is that their selection, to them, is better than the next man's, should he differ. While I am aware of the obvious breakdown in this metaphor - DE razors are far more subjective than even NBA player skill - I think it answers why people were asking for clarification. "Favorite" and "Best" are different questions, you see.

And as there are different positions in basketball, I have different types of razors which I consider best. These are my opinions.

Adjustable: Merkur Progress. The Futur has a wonky head and starts a bit too aggressive, even at the low end. The Vision is a monster.

Open Comb: Merkur 1904 OC. Better handle than the barber pole for heft and grip without being obtrusive.

Safety Bar: Mühle R89. Superior to the Merkur head, slightly. Better handle than it's EJ cousins.

Slant: Merkur 37C. Same remarks about this handle vs the barber pole variant.

Note: I still have yet to try the PILS, which is the object of extreme interest to me. Striking lines, but a prohibitive price. The Feather stainless is also on my list to try.

SNIP<<< For me its the Merkur 1904, hands down. :thumbup1: But check with 99 other members and I'll bet you'll only find a few who might agree. >>>>SNIP

Personally, I liked the shave from the 1904, but despised the handle. I found I had to grip it too tight to keep it from slipping and that caused too much pressure.

Others who've said they don't like the razor stated the same reason.

YMMV is a wonderful thing though, isn't it? Wouldn't the world be boring if we all liked the same things?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well, We would all have to try every model of Merkur, Muhle, EJ, Parker, Ikon :)angry:), Weishi (what else?)

Then we would all have to vote on which one each of us thought was the best.

Then the largest percentage winner might be considered the best.

At least by those that voted for it.

Of course everyone else would disagree.

So we'd be right back here where we started.

But it would be a fun process.

Ok. Who's buying all those razors to pass around?

Top Bottom