What's new

What is the best cleaning solution for my

Vintage razors. I know there's hot water and dish soap, which is how I clean my razors. But sometimes the stubborn soap scum doesn't wanna come off even after scrubbing for what seems like a long time with a tooth brush. I'd like to stay away from chems like scrubbing bubbles if possible. Is there any kind of metal polish made just for vintage razors that will cut the time in half with the cleaning and kill the soap scum, while giving my razors that "brand new" look? Or am I just being too lazy and need to scrub longer?

Your not using enough soap if you have to do a lot of scrubbing! Use more Dawn dish detergent. Two tablespoons full per 8 ounces of water. Make, sure the water is nearly boiling hot. Let t.he razor soak till the water is cool. Then brush off. If there is still gunk do the whole process again.

unless you are mistaking hard water scale for soap scum there shouldn't be a whole lot of scrubbing necessary!:thumbup:

Now if it is hard water scale use the proper cleaning solution. CLR!

Vintage razors. I know there's hot water and dish soap, which is how I clean my razors. But sometimes the stubborn soap scum doesn't wanna come off even after scrubbing for what seems like a long time with a tooth brush. I'd like to stay away from chems like scrubbing bubbles if possible. Is there any kind of metal polish made just for vintage razors that will cut the time in half with the cleaning and kill the soap scum, while giving my razors that "brand new" look? Or am I just being too lazy and need to scrub longer?

let the razor soak longer in soapy water - a couple of days even.

-jim

You could try a non-abrasive tooth paste.

After my store hot dawn soak, this what I use as well. One thing I've found that helps is to make sure that you are not using a 'soft' bristled brush. Get a nice nylon gun cleaning brush or a denture brush and it will help as well. I also switched to the Dawn Platinum soap. It does a killer job on dishes and is great at getting razors clean as well!

Alright thanks for the tips guys. I guess I don't use hot enough water or let the razors soak long enough. I let the water run in the tap until I can see it starting to steam up, then plug the sink. I put a few squirts of dish soap in, then mix it around with my power razor cleaning toothbrush. It has "soft" bristles on it. What's a good non abrasive tooth paste?

I use the dish soap and hot water soap followed by a light scrubbing with toothpaste. Many suggest using Scrubbing Bubbles but I have not needed to go that way.

Scrubbing bubbles is the safest, most effective thing you can use, in my opinion. Any abrasive, even toothpaste can wear thru a thin spot in the plating. This is especially true of gold plated razors.

I've had good success with Polident tablets. One tablet with a glass of hot tap water and let soak for 20-30 minutes. Then scrub with dish detergent and a soft toothbrush works quite well. You put dentures cleaned with polident in your mouth which is a lot more delicate than the material in razors.

Scrubbing Bubbles here with the light application of Mother's Mag Polish. If it's a gold Gillette keep the Mother's very light.

Top Bottom