What's new

What is the best cartridge razor?

Okay, yes, I used to experience clogging when I used BIC disposables to shave around my beard. I would think clogging a major problem with cartridges although I've never used or owned one.
Carts shouldn't clog if you use them for their purpose as a daily shaver. Apart from some cheap versions all modern carts are open through. I assumed that as an injector can go through anything that a injector II would also. As with carts, they are obviously not designed for a weeks growth. Although the Caliber5 did that very easily.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The Skin Guard having only two blades and with the giant gap between them should have no issues with clogging. Schick ST2 disposables, now called Extreme 2 in the United States are twin blade disposables with a very thin head and a push button unclogging mechanism for the blades.

Agree with @Sabre that most carts are intended for daily or near daily shaving. The Gillette Guard and Skin Guard though could easily tackle more growth.

Carts shouldn't clog if you use them for their purpose as a daily shaver. Apart from some cheap versions all modern carts are open through. I assumed that as an injector can go through anything that a injector II would also. As with carts, they are obviously not designed for a weeks growth. Although the Caliber5 did that very easily.
proxy.php

The Caliber5. For those of you that don't shave for a week.

Merkur used to make a cartridge that had a special button for rinsing.
Trac II Razor
I don't think the blades are being made anymore.
I had this razor and performance was very average. Slightly better than the Sensor Excel 3 which was my razor/blade of choice at the time, but no where close to the performance of my DE.

Merkur used to make a cartridge that had a special button for rinsing.
Trac II Razor
I don't think the blades are being made anymore.
I had this razor and performance was very average. Slightly better than the Sensor Excel 3 which was my razor/blade of choice at the time, but no where close to the performance of my DE.
I think you'll find that it was just a rebadged Super II made in Germany by Wilkinson Sword. Although there is a possibility that a small company had a twin cart production line in Germany as Fresh and another German firm distributed twin carts. They could just be Bond/Personna from Israel.

proxy.php

Best Cart razor would definitely be the Gillette Guard. Never clogs and I've had amazing shaves with it. Heck...I'm still using the same cart head I started with months back. It lasts a long while and can handle a 4-5 days growth easily. I'm definitely not a daily shaver and it clears the growth very quickly.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Best Cart razor would definitely be the Gillette Guard. Never clogs and I've had amazing shaves with it. Heck...I'm still using the same cart head I started with months back. It lasts a long while and can handle a 4-5 days growth easily. I'm definitely not a daily shaver and it clears the growth very quickly.

If I had to only choose one cart it would be the Guard. I can get a BBS with it. I do like the efficiency of my 2 + blade carts and find a couple of them shave better than the Guard, but the Guard would be the only one I'd need as it would handle a day growth and a 1 month growth easily. The multiblade carts would struggle with more than a few days worth of growth.

Since price is an object, I'll go with the Mach 3 using Gillette 3 carts.
I would agree that Mach 3 with Gillette3 carts is a good modern system (and i have that myself) but the Trac II/Atra is the best IMHO. Vintage carts can be bought relatively cheap and the handles are easy to get.

Of all the cartridge razors I've tried, I keep going back to the Mach 3 as the best for me, followed by the Guard as a travel razor. My wife likes the Guard as a leg shaver.

I cannot get a close shave with the Skinguard. I think the intent of the design is to avoid irritation, and to do that a less close shave is probably required.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I cannot get a close shave with the Skinguard. I think the intent of the design is to avoid irritation, and to do that a less close shave is probably required.

That is its purpose. I can get a very comfortable dfs. If you requir closer than that from a cart you will need to look elsewhere.

Mach-3. I no longer use on a regular basis except when I travel. I'm total DE vintage now. Not much of a current Gillette fan anymore after they went south on me with the anti "me" ad's. The jury is out if I replace the M-3 carts after I run out. But having said that (their vintage) and the M-3 IMV are the best out there.

I would agree that Mach 3 with Gillette3 carts is a good modern system (and i have that myself) but the Trac II/Atra is the best IMHO. Vintage carts can be bought relatively cheap and the handles are easy to get.
I will have to update my previous comment to add the Gillette Sensor (non excel version). I have used it for the past 9 shaves and its a truly excellent system. Nick free, irritation free easy shaves. Gives the Trac II/Atra a good run for the money. The only thing i will say is that im able to find vintage carts for the Trac II/Atra at cheaper prices than Sensor carts. But then i think the sensor carts last longer so it probably evens out.

Top Bottom