What's new

What is the best cartridge razor?

I’m having great success using the Schick Super II twin blade. Yes, it has the lube strip but it’s not obnoxious. It fits the Trac II handle, but I prefer it with a Schick handle. The cartridges are Japanese but are cheap and readily available from the auction site if you look. Shaves are close and, to my face, non-irritating. The Super II has become my go to cart.

I like the Mach 3 and the Guard (my travel razor of choice), but I have to say the Bic Flex5 Hybrid is giving the Mach 3 a run for its money in my recent trials. I'm routinely getting shaves that rival the best I've ever gotten with my DEs. I just wish I could find a source of the carts locally without having to buy another handle, but I suppose that's what the internet is for.

I would agree that Mach 3 with Gillette3 carts is a good modern system (and i have that myself) but the Trac II/Atra is the best IMHO. Vintage carts can be bought relatively cheap and the handles are easy to get.
I bought a sealed up NOS Atra handle that came with a blade. I shaved with it side by side to the Skinguard and found it to be very rough .

I won't touch a cartridge razor unless I'm getting on a plane and carrying on my bags. And when I do, I'm using my Mach 3 that I used for decades. And when I can take a double edge with me on the road, I do. And with only using the Mach 3 while traveling the cost isn't an issue. Plus I have so many blades in the basement from my Mach 3 days that I will likely die with many of them still there. I bought a Gillette Guard and used it during my last trip to see how it compares to the Mach 3. Too soon to tell since I only used it twice on that trip but it was ok. Not as close as the Mach 3. And the razor barely weighs anything. I have an Edwin Jagger handle for my Mach 3 so it has some heft and feels good in my hand. That may give it the edge over the Guard.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
There is no best for everyone. Only best for you. It's gonna cost you some $$$ to figure it out. This might save you some $$$. When you find very good, realize that best is probably not much better at all. You can stop at very good.

There is no best for everyone. Only best for you. It's gonna cost you some $$$ to figure it out. This might save you some $$$. When you find very good, realize that best is probably not much better at all. You can stop at very good.
This is some of the best advice I’ve ever seen on this forum. I’ve spent a lot of $ chasing expensive razors when I’m fine with many cheaper options.

This is some of the best advice I’ve ever seen on this forum. I’ve spent a lot of $ chasing expensive razors when I’m fine with many cheaper options.
yes. And i think it's because it's all down to a good technique and use of good soap and brushes. If you master them i think you can get a bbs shave with nearly everything including disposable one blade BICs.

I get a great shave with the Gillette Sensor 2. Used to be the Good News razor.
I just picked up a few of these to test out and compare with a Sensor excel.

I’ve got very good shaves with the Gillette skinguard if comfort is your thing.

I just picked up a few of these to test out and compare with a Sensor excel.

I’ve got very good shaves with the Gillette skinguard if comfort is your thing.
I tried the skinguard too. Comfort - wise it's very good. The problem is... You can forget about closeness. I get a MUCH closer shave with my muhle closed comb and a feather blade. No contest.

I tried the skinguard too. Comfort - wise it's very good. The problem is... You can forget about closeness. I get a MUCH closer shave with my muhle closed comb and a feather blade. No contest.
You’re comparing apples to oranges though. I got a Very DFS bordering BBS , and that’s what the razor is intended to do. It’s not a BBS shaver.

You’re comparing apples to oranges though. I got a Very DFS bordering BBS , and that’s what the razor is intended to do. It’s not a BBS shaver.
yes i know it perfectly. But i forgot to add.... ok it's a very mild shaver that INTENTIONALLY doesn't give a bbs to avoid irritation... But then at 20 euros for a pack of 4 what's the point since i have 40 feathers for 10 euros and a muhle of much better quality? I was thinking about value for money...

Top Bottom