What's new

What is the best cartridge razor?

My favorite cart was the Sensor Excel.

Used carts for almost 40 years and a 2-blade Sensor Excel was my favorite. However, 10 months after switching to DE, I took my Excel on vacation for convenience and got such an awful shave that I tossed it in the trash. It's been DE ever since.

Used carts for almost 40 years and a 2-blade Sensor Excel was my favorite. However, 10 months after switching to DE, I took my Excel on vacation for convenience and got such an awful shave that I tossed it in the trash. It's been DE ever since.

If I'm driving or checking a bag, I take my Maggard V3, cheap and easy to replace if lost. But if I have to fly carry-on only, that's not an option.

What type of cart is a V3?

Continuing a conversation with @njpaddy earlier in the thread:

My favorite cart was the Sensor Excel. When I switched to DEs, I made sure to save a few in case I needed them for airline travel.

If I'm driving or checking a bag, I take my Maggard V3, cheap and easy to replace if lost. But if I have to fly carry-on only, that's not an option.

So when I fly with just a carry-on, I use my old Sensor Excel. When I drive, I take a DE.

Here's my list:
1: Gillette Guard
2: Gillette Sensor Excel (2 Uses per Cartridge)
3: Gillette SkinGuard (1-2 Weeks of Use per Cartridge)
4: Harry’s Truman Razor

USE 0 PRESSURE.
You must understand this principle.
Unfortunately, you don't understand what 0 pressure means until you actually use 0 pressure.

I like the Fusion Proglide and keep one around for travel and such. I can get a DE-quality shave from a fresh Proglide cartridge. The problem is that after 3-4 shaves it's dull and shot, time to invest another $3. Also, environmentally speaking, it's wasteful and irresponsible.

Mastered DE shaving over 20 years ago. Gillette Fusion Proglide.

I have almost all of the high end DE’s from the Wolfman WR-2, Paradigm 17-4, Charcoal Goods Level 3, Blackbird and on. Everyone is different but the Proglide shaves me as close or closer than any of the 60-70 DE razors I have bought over these many years with the added benefit of a much smoother finish.

I buy my blades on EBay...cheap compared to high end DE shaving. The Proglide is an amazing cart.

Mastered DE shaving over 20 years ago. Gillette Fusion Proglide.

I have almost all of the high end DE’s from the Wolfman WR-2, Paradigm 17-4, Charcoal Goods Level 3, Blackbird and on. Everyone is different but the Proglide shaves me as close or closer than any of the 60-70 DE razors I have bought over these many years with the added benefit of a much smoother finish.

I buy my blades on EBay...cheap compared to high end DE shaving. The Proglide is an amazing cart.

What do you mean by high end DE shaving? Razor is a one time expense and even the most expensive blades bought in single packs are < $1 a blade.

What do you mean by high end DE shaving? Razor is a one time expense and even the most expensive blades bought in single packs are < $1 a blade.
Well that's not totally accurate, there are several DE blades that are more than a dollar a blade in Europe.

I am surprised guys who like a cartridge type are not talking and considering Schick injector razors and especially those that use two blades.

I am surprised guys who like a cartridge type are not talking and considering Schick injector razors and especially those that use two blades.
One type is available in virtually every high street, whilst another is only available online often importing and risking duty and import fees. The Injector II's prices have shot up to £25.00 per pack of 10. This will incur hefty handling fees.

One type is available in virtually every high street, whilst another is only available online often importing and risking duty and import fees. The Injector II's prices have shot up to £25.00 per pack of 10. This will incur hefty handling fees.

Well, that's too much cost and risk

A member here saves for 3 months using injector 2's in a Schick O clone.

Well, that's too much cost and risk

A member here saves for 3 months using injector 2's in a Schick O clone.
I use an injector for the first pass, and to be honest I rarely change the blade. Only on a fresh blade do I use the Injector exclusively for around 5 shaves. My experience with the Injector II wasn't great. It clogged. I would have to have a separate injector razor and only use it when I had minimum growth. That being said I own around 30 injectors, with most being mint.

I use an injector for the first pass, and to be honest I rarely change the blade. Only on a fresh blade do I use the Injector exclusively for around 5 shaves. My experience with the Injector II wasn't great. It clogged. I would have to have a separate injector razor and only use it when I had minimum growth. That being said I own around 30 injectors, with most being mint.

Okay, yes, I used to experience clogging when I used BIC disposables to shave around my beard. I would think clogging a major problem with cartridges although I've never used or owned one.

Top Bottom