What's new

What is the best brush for face shaving?

Honestly, the only other colour choice that I find beautiful (other than Ivory) is Butterscotch for me. Anyway, please let me know what you decide on! :cuppa:
Sir I said I would inform you when I made my decision on which chubby synthetic I chose. I finally decided on the sapphire chubby. Though I don’t think there’s any “bad” or “wrong” choice here. They’re all beautiful in their own unique ways

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir I said I would inform you when I made my decision on which chubby synthetic I chose. I finally decided on the sapphire chubby. Though I don’t think there’s any “bad” or “wrong” choice here. They’re all beautiful in their own unique ways
Would you have any pic to kindly show, Sir?

D9315C1E-D69C-4B96-80F3-17D74924C9D5.jpeg

Not my brush or photo. But it should look similar to this. Just ordered it earlier today from the Simpson website so it will be awhile before it arrives

My perspective is based more on building a rotation. I try to use each brush only once per week.

Declaration Grooming puts out some great brushes. My favorite brush is a B13.

I am generally partial to Simpson. They tend to perform well for me and have something for everybody from a price point and handle shape perspective. Chubby for face lathering is a must for the rotation. Chubby 2 in two band is a special brush. The Chubby synthetic is good too. I use it as a travel brush and it builds lather like no other but there’s a learning curve.

I face lather exclusively. My favorite brush was the Duke 3 in Best Badger until I got a Shavemac 2 band. It has more backbone without being harsh on the skin and I feel that it works up a superior, denser lather. Nothing wrong with the Duke, but for me that Shavemac is a bit better.

It looks GORGEOUS!! Please, add your thoughts too once tested.
I must tip my hat to you for recommending this brush Marco. I was able to test it for the first time earlier today. It is a GORGEOUS brush in both performance and visually. I can already tell that this is a better quality than the Trafalgar brushes (which are still excellent brushes) that I already have. I really like the balance between the softness and backbone of the brush. I still need to get a few more shaves with it but my first impression is that it is a great brush

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I must tip my hat to you for recommending this brush Marco. I was able to test it for the first time earlier today. It is a GORGEOUS brush in both performance and visually. I can already tell that this is a better quality than the Trafalgar brushes (which are still excellent brushes) that I already have. I really like the balance between the softness and backbone of the brush. I still need to get a few more shaves with it but my first impression is that it is a great brush
In my humble opinion the Chubby has always been the very best of all Simpson brushes. A true legend indeed.

A Simpson Chubby in best, IMO.
I’m thinking about getting one in best at some point. Though the platinum grade synthetic is really impressing me right now. I have only used it once so far but plan on using it for awhile to give it a fair shake before I say how it compares with the badger in best

Lots of good stuff in this thread. I'll just add my data point. Over a decade of exclusive face lathering. Started with badger but now all about boar. It happened after I went for a wetshave and the brush the barber used felt great, soft with reasonable backbone and none of the scritch. When I saw the brush, I saw that it was a spindly little boar thing. Then I got a bunch of different Omegas. After $$ on badger, messing about with boar was much more palatable.

After trying different brushes, I found myself preferring shorter lofts and bigger knots, especially the Omega 011842, but the Il Bambino gets a lot of play. The odd time I reach for a badger it's either a Wee Scot (love this brush) or a Plisson HMW (18mm). There's a lot of love for the Simpson chubbies. Had one. Rarely used it. Sold it.

I've got one synthetic, PAA Peregrino. Nice brush, don't use it often, performs well, but just doesn't feel right to me.

Horses for courses. YMMV. Yadda yadda yadda.

Top Bottom