What's new

What is the best alcohol based aftershave and shave balm combo?

Hey everyone, just a bit of an open-ended question. I've recently started using alcohol based aftershave again and am loving it. I always follow up with an alcohol free shave balm to counter its negative effects somewhat. Just wanted to ask if any of you have found any products that go well together. I'm not exactly fussed scent wise though I prefer them to not be super strong scents and not have products in them that artificially cause additional burning sensation. Currently, I use brut aftershave and then nivea post shave balm. (I basically use the alcohol based splash like an alum block so I don't use a lot of it).

I always follow up with an alcohol free shave balm to counter its negative effects
I'll presume you mean the drying effect, although I wouldn't call that a negative effects unless perhaps you have excessively dry skin naturally.

When you say "go well together" do you mean performance or scent? That could be interpreted many ways.

In any case, the Nivea you're using now works fine. It's mild scent is too light to clash with anything.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I always (mostly, lol) just use an unscented hand lotion that I get at the dollar store in the winter. I apply it directly after the shave, then I apply whatever aftershave I have a fancy for that day.

Works great at keeping my incredibly handsome face incredibly handsome!

I'll presume you mean the drying effect, although I wouldn't call that a negative effects unless perhaps you have excessively dry skin naturally.

When you say "go well together" do you mean performance or scent? That could be interpreted many ways.

In any case, the Nivea you're using now works fine. It's mild scent is too light to clash with anything.
I meant what is the best aftershave to use for closing pores, toning skin, anti-septic etc. and what is the best after-shave balm to use with it that is effective and calming. I see how its pretty vague but I guess I'm just looking for something good to replace an Alum block as I just can't use it anymore, its far too drying and added to irritation and blemishes flaring up. In this case, the alcohol based aftershave is what is replacing the alum block and the balm is obviously the final step. (It doesn't have to be alcohol based but in my experience I find it to be the next best replacement.) I find that the Nivea actually doesn't absorb as much as I'd like and isn't as moisturising as I'd like. It's good but if there's something better, I'm all ears. I'm mostly looking for performance as opposed to scent.

I always (mostly, lol) just use an unscented hand lotion that I get at the dollar store in the winter. I apply it directly after the shave, then I apply whatever aftershave I have a fancy for that day.

Works great at keeping my incredibly handsome face incredibly handsome!
I used to use a face moisturiser but it irritated my skin as it had menthol in it. Maybe I should just use something similar on top of the balm. I'm just worried that it'll be too much for my skin.

I meant what is the best aftershave to use for closing pores, toning skin, anti-septic etc. and what is the best after-shave balm to use with it that is effective and calming. I see how its pretty vague but I guess I'm just looking for something good to replace an Alum block as I just can't use it anymore, its far too drying and added to irritation and blemishes flaring up. In this case, the alcohol based aftershave is what is replacing the alum block and the balm is obviously the final step. (It doesn't have to be alcohol based but in my experience I find it to be the next best replacement.) I find that the Nivea actually doesn't absorb as much as I'd like and isn't as moisturising as I'd like. It's good but if there's something better, I'm all ears. I'm mostly looking for performance as opposed to scent.
Check out Stirling's aftershaves, and balms. They work well.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Just about any mild-scented moisturizer will be good complement to an alcohol aftershave splash.
i especially like a dab of institut karite shea butter cream.

p160 matador pils aqua velva ice sport institut karite september 28 2016.jpg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Well the best is to slap on the stiffest alcohol splash you can get and skip the balm. :bayrum2:

Okay...I’m not that much of a troll. In truth, I don’t use balms. But on the rare occasions my skin feels extra dry, I find unscented pure shae butter after my favorite splash works a treat.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My face is dry whether I shave or not, so I often combine unscented CeraVe moisturizer with almost any after shave.

But in terms of balms I've used Proraso blue balm and Floid Amber or Vigoroso together a few times. Great products, great combination of scents.

Top Bottom