What's new

What is the advantage of a 3 piece razor vs a TTO razor

Concerning the TTO, safety/convenience. Nothing to take apart or required a great deal of dexterity. That was Segal or Gillette's original intent when mass producing the TTO "safety" razor. The TTO worked with the Gillette blade cases. TTO the razor, slide the blade out partially, enough to grab onto the center bar and once the blade was seated, twist to close.

TTO was a marketing gimmick. What problem w the 3-piece was the TTO designed to solve?

TTO was a marketing gimmick. What problem w the 3-piece was the TTO designed to solve?

A "marketing gimmick"?

Using that kind of logic, an electric razor is kind of a marketing gimmick; it offers ultra-convenience and speed, albeit at the price of closeness of shave and value. Similarly, I imagine one could think of a TTO as a marketing gimmick, as some might regard an adjustable razor.

I guess that's one way of seeing it....

Reactions: abj
i have tried tto's didn't like them then went to my 5 piece and love it for what i can do with it ie. change the blade gap ,change from open comb to closed , change the handle ,change the top cap now try that with your tto's .

If TTO was a gimmick, it sure was successful. When I was growing up, every man in my family used a TTO, except one of my grandfathers, who used a straight. My first razor (1973) and only razor until I spent decades on the dark side, was a used TTO my father gave me when I was 14. Even my other grandfather, who was so cheap he could squeeze tears out of Abe Lincoln on the penny, had a TTO, which means he must have gone out and bought one at some point when he already had a 3 piece.

Honestly, I didn't even know there even WAS such a thing as a 3 piece until I got back into wet shaving as a much older man.

Back in the days when DE dominated, understand that it really wasn't a big thing. Then, as now, most men just wanted ease and convenience, and that means TTO.

The success of the TTO and the adjustable demonstrates the power of marketing and Madison Avenue. With the Tech, Gillette achieved perfection in razor design. With 5 points of blade engagement, secure lockup and a solid handle, all flaws in previous designs were resolved. No moving parts; elegant simplicity. There was no where else to go. So the marketers took over. TTO and no touch blade change; red and blue tips for different beard types; adjustability. All solutions to “problems” invented by the advertisers. Blade change “hazardous” somehow? Aha! TTO. Tough beard or delicate face? Red/blue tip-adjustable. How many folks cut them selves changing blades w a Tech? Two? Who couldn’t adapt their technique or use a different blade to accommodate their beard/skin type? Before adjustability or TTO what did these folks do? They made it work. If TTO and adjustability had not been invented they would have shaved on. Those “features” were never necessary for an economically significant number of shavers. The “need” was invented and the “solution” sold to them. And that’s the way marketing and advertising works. Convincing you that you need something that they sell. And it works

Ive used both, and the only advantages I see go to three piece.

Fewer moving parts and lesss complicated design.

Easier to clean. You dont have to deal with the doors.

The only advantages I see to a TTO razor.

You don’t have to keep track of any parts.

It is quicker to change a blade. But, if that is your reason, then a toggle should appeal to you. None of that pesky twisting. Just flip the toggle and the doors open, flip it the opposite direction and they close.

The success of the TTO and the adjustable demonstrates the power of marketing and Madison Avenue. With the Tech, Gillette achieved perfection in razor design. With 5 points of blade engagement, secure lockup and a solid handle, all flaws in previous designs were resolved. No moving parts; elegant simplicity. There was no where else to go. So the marketers took over. TTO and no touch blade change; red and blue tips for different beard types; adjustability. All solutions to “problems” invented by the advertisers. Blade change “hazardous” somehow? Aha! TTO. Tough beard or delicate face? Red/blue tip-adjustable. How many folks cut them selves changing blades w a Tech? Two? Who couldn’t adapt their technique or use a different blade to accommodate their beard/skin type? Before adjustability or TTO what did these folks do? They made it work. If TTO and adjustability had not been invented they would have shaved on. Those “features” were never necessary for an economically significant number of shavers. The “need” was invented and the “solution” sold to them. And that’s the way marketing and advertising works. Convincing you that you need something that they sell. And it works

Great explanation! Marketing works!! :a29:

The thing is that there ain't many modern tto razors. Most of which are made in India and China and they are poor copies of the vintage Gillette razors. If someone tries to make an improved version of a tto razor that would be great. So, yeah obviously the 3- piece razors are easier to clean compared to any tto razor, although with minimal care after each shave you won't have to spend too much time cleaning your tto or 3-piece razor. After each shave I rinse my razor with running water for a few seconds and then dry it with a towel and for the most part the razor is clean.

I don't think that tto razors are bad shavers. Obviously, some 3-piece razors are much better, simply because they hold the blade more tight and the blade doesn't chatter as much and in general 3-piece razors are more efficient compared to tto razors and the fact that there isn't that much of a variety and options for tto razors like with 3-piece razors.

I like both even if my Gillette tto razors are a bit milder and not as efficient I still get great shaves from them, which some modern expensive 3-piece razors can't do for me.

One and only real advantage is that there is no mechanism to break down and will work literally for 100+ years if you don't breakit with poor handling
Also you can scrub it more easily due to simple design

I use both and each as its advantages.....I like the 3 piece design for simplicity but its limited to how close of a shave I can get out of it based on what blade brand I put in it......an adjustable TTO on the other hand I like because I can put any blade inside of it and adjust how close and comfortable I want it to be. Most of the time its either a Fatboy or a Slim for everyday shaving and once in a while I go for a week or 2 with a Gillette New SC for some variety.

Larry

I have difficulty getting a TTO up under my nose to get the top of my lip no matter how many faces I make or how much I can mash my nose over. a 2- or 3-piece has a much thinner head, and it's much easier to get those upper stragglers.

A Leaf Twig is a TTO with a head the size of an injector razor. Smaller and thinner than a 3-piece. It should get under there nicely.

I'll echo what others have stated. They're easier to clean, and the capguards aren't as bulky as a TTO head.

That being said, I love my Parker TTO and Gillette Heritage in equal measures. The Heritage isn't as efficient, but the Muhle head gives a delightful shave with the right blades.

Top Bottom