What's new

What is the actual fragrance for Powdery? Soapy?

I've often heard terms like "Powdery" and "soapy" when describing fragrances. "Powdery" as in baby powder? Soapy as in "Ivory"? I imagine that there is an actual odor that the baby powder makers use or emulate to get things to smell like they do.

What do those terms mean to you?

It's a chicken/egg problem. There are certain scent compounds over used in the past, one use was for baby powder. This association leads people who grew up with this scent to ascribe "powdery" to anything that smell like that. There is actually a bunch of threads that got into that, but they might be hard to find. This is generally a layman description.

In perfumery, the formulator or the person analyzing the perfume will use the word and it will be more of a descriptive. Think chalk, it might smell like that. Certain compounds are known to dry down to powder. Frequently these are floral perfumes aimed at women, but that is just one example.

Soapy is traditionally associated with the dry down of Colonia or "coloney" scents, the citrus aspect. There are parts of the world where this was the common scent.

I read perfume blogs along with people on here who know A LOT more than I do. It's interesting to read how they balance their formulations. They may say they want such and such smell, but can't add too much or it will dry down to powder so they add another thing to compliment the first one so they can use less of that first one. It sometimes makes your head spin.

I've often heard terms like "Powdery" and "soapy" when describing fragrances. "Powdery" as in baby powder? Soapy as in "Ivory"? I imagine that there is an actual odor that the baby powder makers use or emulate to get things to smell like they do.

What do those terms mean to you?

That's exactly what powdery means.

Soapy refers to the smell of the little soaps that people leave in the bathroom,
that you're not supposed to use.

The meaning of powdery is more specific than that of soapy.

Top Bottom