What's new

What is some of your favorite less mainstream gear?

We all know the big name heavyweights in the shave world. Simpson, Stirling, Gillette, muhle, merkur, Edwin jagger, dovo, boker, you get my point.

But what about those less known hidden gems? Maybe you have a local artisan that makes soaps or brushes?

I have a local company called six shooter grooming company that makes a shave soap called mountaineer that smalls great and is a good soap.

What are your less known favorites?

Pre Shave: Truefitt and Hill Authentic No10 shaving Gel
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Cream: The Body Shop - Macca Root & Aloe
Brush: Phoenix StarCraft
Blade: Derby Extra 1st use
Razor: Kanzy with Travel Case etc
Aftershave: Nivea Face Energy

The Derby Extra blades don’t seem very well liked here on this forum. Ok, so they are not the sharpest blade in the draw but for me they give an incredibly smooth shave. At the expense of closeness perhaps but certainly close enough for me.

The Kanzy razor is another of my early purchases, quite a few years ago, as I got back into DE shaving. Yesterday, I used the Wilkinson Sword Classic, a plastic Razor, which gave me a mighty fine shave. The Kanzy is mild just like the Classic. It’s another very forgiving Razor and again I got a lovely smooth and comfortable shave. The audible feedback does sound a bit like a “toy” razor…whatever that might sound like. I’d give the Wilkinson Sword Classic the edge in terms of efficiency and audible feedback. The Kanzy does come with a useful case for travellers so that’s handy. Either of these razors are incredible value for anyone wanting to get into DE shaving.

I’ve really enjoyed revisiting these Razors. They perform and that’s important. Cheap doesn’t always mean nasty. They are keepers. I won’t throw them away. They have nostalgia value. 😊

F1712FF7-4AFA-4EA2-90EF-4FA4C04F2EAF.jpeg

2C64B1D0-F93E-436A-B2B0-BE377CC3D115.jpeg

Locals:
Brazilian Bozzano shaving cream
Brazilian Granado after shave balm, this is a thing.

German Weleda after shave

Some Indian blades of new unknown manufacturers like Willy's (already out of production unfortunately), Statum, Vertice , Vi John, Pro 500, ClasseX Xtreme .

Bangladeshi blades from Samah Razor as LOI and Sharp

Yaqi brushes and razors.

DS Cosmetic razors.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Hmmmm...let me think.

I have some product from Glory and Shine. Have several shave soap and an aftershave from Wet the Face out of Long Island.

But what about those less known hidden gems? Maybe you have a local artisan that makes soaps or brushes?

Here in Vienna we have a small boutique called "Esbjerg" that also makes their own cosmetics line, including Shaving Creams and AS Gels. They have been talked about on the forum before and Michael Freedberg even has a video review of their products. But still - overall very unknown. But fantastic stuff!

And while not a classic artisan, we in Austria have Fairschenkt, who recently made some noise with the Greencult razor. Also get some good reviews online.

As for aftershaves: there is a pharmacy here in Vienna that makes their own aftershave splash, in accordance to a 19th century recipe. I haven't tried it myself, but some folks over at a german wetshaving forum I frequent seem to like it. Shame I haven't tried it myself really. Here is a picture: Alte Löwen Apotheke Rasierwasser

As for aftershaves: there is a pharmacy here in Vienna that makes their own aftershave splash, in accordance to a 19th century recipe. I haven't tried it myself, but some folks over at a german wetshaving forum I frequent seem to like it. Shame I haven't tried it myself really. Here is a picture: Alte Löwen Apotheke Rasierwasser
For the Rasierwasser, I can't seem to find any that offered for sale here in the U.S.. Bummer. Could you please assist. THX!!

CADETSumatra42.jpg

LordMerc reminded me, the plastic Wilkie is really a terrific razor.

My two choices are:

1. Pearl open comb razor. An Indian manufactured razor, first introduced by early shaving vendor Shave-A-Buck under their Cadet brand and later by Italian Barber as the original Jaws (not the current Jaws plate for Gamechanger) brand.

The Pearl OC was a medium aggressive razor that made for wonderful shaves.

2. Global Shave Sumatra. A $10 Gillette Tech clone with a handsome finish that shaves slightly more aggressive than the Techs it's based on.

I use an Ellengers Agitized Wood bowl. Two of them were in the kitchen cupboard when we bought the house. I didn't throw them away at the time even though they were odd looking little bowls. They ended up in my toddler daughter's play things. Flash forward and she is a college senior. She and I are cleaning out the garage and throwing away\donating things. I find both bowls and as I'm tossing them to the bin, I notice the surface is not quite smooth. It isn't rough, but it has an unusual friction to it.
"I wonder if this friction will generate lather" 🤔... these are the thoughts you have when you wet shave.
It may be the most unattractive shaving bowl on BB, but it produces a noticable increase in lather. Plus, it is really grippy when wet.
The bowl is most likely from the early '60s considering the age of the previous owners. And that is when they were most popular. It goes well with my '56 tech.
16625565807122040067331676844036.jpg

Savon de Marseille olive oil soap. This wooden
Omega made Trac II handle is pretty nice too. I use it a few times a week on my head.

20220413_175500.jpg

I use an Ellengers Agitized Wood bowl. Two of them were in the kitchen cupboard when we bought the house. I didn't throw them away at the time even though they were odd looking little bowls. They ended up in my toddler daughter's play things. Flash forward and she is a college senior. She and I are cleaning out the garage and throwing away\donating things. I find both bowls and as I'm tossing them to the bin, I notice the surface is not quite smooth. It isn't rough, but it has an unusual friction to it.
"I wonder if this friction will generate lather" 🤔... these are the thoughts you have when you wet shave.
It may be the most unattractive shaving bowl on BB, but it produces a noticable increase in lather. Plus, it is really grippy when wet.
The bowl is most likely from the early '60s considering the age of the previous owners. And that is when they were most popular. It goes well with my '56 tech. View attachment 1518648

Sometimes there is beauty in simplicity.

I was trying to think, what do I use in shaving that's less mainstream? After all, I have a fair bit of hardware and software but every single thing I own is mainstream. All my Gillettes are classic models, all my soaps, creams, and aftershaves are from well known companies, same with my brushes and blades. I have absolutely no interest in "artisan" shaving products which is one reason I say this is not a hobby for me like so many here. Seems like I haven't even heard of 80-90% of the brands I see in most photos here (talking about razors and products but especially soaps).

I do comb out my brushes on a regular basis but to most, that's just weird. ;)

Top Bottom