What's new

What is slightly smoother than a Personna Red/IP?

I have now finished the Astras, SP and SS, and both were excellent. My perception is the SP is both slightly sharper and smoother. Both were able to handle four days in a row with little damage. In the Tech, both are an improvement over the IP.

For smooth shaves or when I try out a razor for the first time, I usually reach for Israeli Red or GSB. Nacet is sharper, just not as smooth IME. Astra SP is smooth and sharp and inexpensive. I would say the Rapira Lux Platinum is a close equivalent to the Astra SP.

For sharper blades that are also smooth, I use the PolSilver SI, Permasharp or Gillette 7 o'clock Black.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

GSB is up next....as in today. So far, so good.

For smooth shaves or when I try out a razor for the first time, I usually reach for Israeli Red or GSB. Nacet is sharper, just not as smooth IME. Astra SP is smooth and sharp and inexpensive. I would say the Rapira Lux Platinum is a close equivalent to the Astra SP.

For sharper blades that are also smooth, I use the PolSilver SI, Permasharp or Gillette 7 o'clock Black.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

For me and my face, the two blades with the perfect combination of "sharp and smooth.".....

IMG_0081.JPG

Although, I put the Israeli Red Personna right up there with them.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    11.3 MB · Views: 14
GSB is up next....as in today. So far, so good.

After four days in a row with the GSB, they have taken the lead. I can still see a little irritation in one spot, but I can't feel it. That makes these the first no noticeable irritation blade of my tests with the Tech. Also, they are sharp enough to give a very good shave. I'm tempted to order a hundred. OTOH, there are a number of others to try still.

I may order some Nacets too as they were great in the 6S. And, I'm happy to still have some IPs around.

Been there, done that. Only on an exceptionally mild razor like a....Feather :). Even then, I get better results on a really mild razor with an IP. Although, using a Nacet in a 6S on plate 3 is making we wonder if they aren't the bee's knees for mild razors.

Testing is continuing and the Polsilver SI also worked extremely well with my Tech with little to no irritation. At this point, there can only be one of two conclusions (maybe both): (1) my technique is really improving with the focus on this razor; (2) the Gillette Russian-made blades are really something. I wound up purchasing 100 GSBs and 50 Nacets at an agreeable eBay price with free shipping. The GSB is still the best by a slim margin over the Polsilver and the Astra SP.

Since I am going back and forth with these blades, my Tech, and my 6S, I can report that the Astra SS is a very efficient and comfortable shave on plate 4 of the 6S. To the frequent SP vs SS threads, I can add that the SP is just slightly better for me. Very close though.

I haven't updated this for a while... I've tested the 7 o'clock yellows, the Personna Med Prep and Personna Lab Blue since the Polsilver.

7 o'clock yellow: these have never worked for me and still don't. Not sure why as many love them. I just get a bunch of mild, but noticeable irritation.

Med Prep: Fine, but no better than the IPs. In fact, they felt basically the same.

Lab Blue: Nice and smooth, but doesn't seem sharp enough. These cannot handle the stubble under my chin which seems to require a very sharp (and, probably, rigid) blade. I'm not getting much, if any, irritation, but not getting close shaves either.

GSBs followed by Polsilver and Astra SPs are still leading the pack. Next up - the Russian green 7 o'clock blades.

Final report: 7 o'clock greens (Russian) and BICs were fine in terms of smoothness. Oddly, the BIC didn't seem sharp enough for a close shave.

After all the testing, the only blades better than the IP, IMO, were the GSB and Polsilver SI. I liked the Astra SP too, but it's only marginally better, if that.

In the 6S, I recently found that the Med Prep was very good.

Many blades were fine, but no better than the IP...mostly other Personna or Russian Gillette.

Your reporter in the field...

I can't speak to what will work in the razor specifically - but generally a Teflon-coated blade is going to be smoother blade. Voskhod or Gillette Silver Blue?

Top Bottom