What's new

What is slightly smoother than a Personna Red/IP?

I have obtained a few blades of most of those mentioned here from Tryablade (plus a few others). My plan is to do a week with the Tech and a week with a 6S as a comparison. First up is the Nacet, since it was a popular recommendation. On 48 hours growth, I used one this morning with the 6S/3 and it was ridiculously smooth and efficient. A great start....more later as testing continues.

For me...With out a doubt in my mind, Gillette 'Nacet' are butter smooth and plenty sharp. My absolute go-to blade. (to the point that they make every other blade (including my beloved Gillette 'Silver Blue' blades) feel pretty ordinary.

I just tried Lord Platinum blades and they are incredibly smooth. Up to this point Personna Reds have been my favorite blade, but the Lord Platinum has made a great first impression and might even be a bit smoother than the Reds.

I'm planning on trying the other variations of Lord blades in the next few weeks, so it will be interesting to see how they compare to the Platinums.

I just tried Lord Platinum blades and they are incredibly smooth. Up to this point Personna Reds have been my favorite blade, but the Lord Platinum has made a great first impression and might even be a bit smoother than the Reds.

I'm planning on trying the other variations of Lord blades in the next few weeks, so it will be interesting to see how they compare to the Platinums.

The Shark Super Chromes are good ones too - a bit sharper than the Lord Plats but still very smooth imo. Definitely worth a try.

I have obtained a few blades of most of those mentioned here from Tryablade (plus a few others). My plan is to do a week with the Tech and a week with a 6S as a comparison. First up is the Nacet, since it was a popular recommendation. On 48 hours growth, I used one this morning with the 6S/3 and it was ridiculously smooth and efficient. A great start....more later as testing continues.

Using my highly non-scientific method, two weeks have now been completed with the Nacet. Bottom line: it was a revelation in the 6S, but more irritating in the Tech on my neck which is the thing I'm trying to weed out. Definitely sharper than the IP resulting in two weepers on the first day with the Tech.

Sputnik, Gillette Platinum Plus, GSB and Wilki Classic tied are best to worst in order for me. Shark Super Chrome, Personna Red, Lada, Personna Blue are the worst from least worst to worst. Absolutely horrible are BIC and VDH. Those things are somewhat like shaving by rubbing gravel and broken glass into my face. As always though YMMV

The threads seem to be locked in the great blade exchange.

There was activity on that thread just last week. There may be a stipulation for being a B & B member a certain length of time &/or having a certain number of posts before being able to participate in the great blade exchange. Try every couple of weeks, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

There was activity on that thread just last week. There may be a stipulation for being a B & B member a certain length of time &/or having a certain number of posts before being able to participate in the great blade exchange. Try every couple of weeks, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.
Okay, Thanks for the info!

Someone should add that to "How It Works" or "A Bit More Fine Print" in both the 1st Post in the thread and/or the wiki. I PIFed several of my blades from a sampler I purchased thinking it was defunct. I don't regret it though, I still have lots of blades to sample, and several blades from 10 packs in the sampler I can trade to the Great Blade Exchange. The Great Blade Exchange just suffers from less variety and from the "lesser" blades I will be trading in.

"Lesser" meaning that they're not blades people are talking about a lot and that they cost the company the least. It doesn't reflect what your costs might be though. Excellent negotiations and/or very favorable price breakpoints can come into play. Price doesn't reflect quality in my experience in general, except for extremely inexpensive items. The converse isn't necessarily true, i.e. High price does not mean high quality.

I seem to have digressed. Later all :001_cool:

Toothpick responded back to me. Blades are in transit to him. The board is locked at that time until he receives the blades und updates the database.

I find the Rapira Platinum Lux and Treet Black Beauty to be smoother than the Personna Reds (barely), but the Rapiras are decidedly sharper to me. Also, I don't get as many shaves from either as they dull faster to me.

I realize many people don't like the Treets bc they are "duller", but I've never experienced the tugging and or pulling some have reported (mostly because I tend to pair it with my more aggressive razors (Fatip OC, Gillette Old Type).

YMMV

I have now completed a week with the Tech and a Voskhod. The first shave was fantastically smooth. The other three, prior to binning (as my English friends would say), were mixed. Overall, not as good as the IP. Next candidate.

I'm quite convinced now that, for some reason, my Tech has a larger gap than most and is more of a mid-aggressive razor. When assembled without a blade, it doesn't fully tighten (the baseplate and head rattle a bit against one another). I would guess this results in a wider than normal gap. Nonetheless, it's a great tool for shaving....so simple and efficient.

Tried a Rapira Swedish Steel this morning. Tossed before finishing. Simply was not interested in even attempting to cut the wiry stubble just under my chin. After one pass, I swapped for an Astra SP. We shall see how that one does. It felt pretty good in the Tech for the second pass to mop up after the Rapira.

Top Bottom