What's new

What Is Pre-Shave Balm Meant To Do?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have never used a pre-shave balm, until:

Late last year I bought a 100ml jar of Proraso Crema Pre Barba thinking that it might help me while learning to shave with a straight razor. I tried it then and noticed nothing different.

Now that I am getting well down the SR shaving path, yesterday I decided to give my Proraso Crema Pre Barba another go. This time, as normal, I:
  • Washed my face with bath soap and cold water, rinsed with cold water and left it wet.
  • Applied a few dabs of Proraso Crema Pre Barba on my face and rubbed it well into my whiskers.
  • Face lathered as normal with cold water and Proraso green shave cream.
  • Stropped the SR and performed a WTG pass.
  • Re-lathered and performed an XTG pass.
  • Rinsed with cold water and patted dry with one of my shave towels.
  • Splashed on some Clarifiance.
After all that, I did not notice any difference in shave comfort, shave results or after effects between using Proraso Crema Pre Barba or not using Proraso Crema Pre Barba. Normally my whiskers are silky soft and my skin is as tough as an elephant hide - well almost.

What is Proraso Crema Pre Barba meant to do or am I using it incorrectly?

Used as directed (applied before a hot towel wrap), I believe it’s supposed to soften the whiskers. I use the Proraso White and Green purely for the scent and the nice hit of menthol before lathering. I’m not really a fan of the Proraso Red pre-shave. I also re-apply between passes because a) I like it and, b) it helps me feel how much stubble is left.

In short, I don’t really know if it’s helping me, but I do enjoy it.

Don't know what is their original purpose maybe soften beard and add slickness, in my opinion they are waste of time and product to pull out your money.

I never used it as intended but for me the proraso pre shave worked the opposite it gave me a rubbery anti skid shave.
now on the other side of the spectrum stirling mentholated pre shave soap does make my hair softer and it provides noticeable more glide even under a coat of other stirling shave soap

I've never found pre-shaves offer anything a good lather, from soap or cream, doesn't. I think they're supposed to soften whiskers, and maybe add glide, but for me they've done neither. YMMV.

IMHO the Proraso preshaves should add a bit more glide than using a Proraso soap alone (not necesserily the creams) - this is for standard barber conditions, so no shower after a sauna, no hot towel or other luxurious pampering stuff.

IMHO the Proraso preshaves should add a bit more glide than using a Proraso soap alone (not necesserily the creams) - this is for standard barber conditions, so no shower after a sauna, no hot towel or other luxurious pampering stuff.
Jup just apply on wet face

Just ask yourself one question. Does it help me get a closer, more comfortable shave? If the answer is yes, use it. If the answer is no, you can do without it.

I'm currently using it. Logic tells me it shouldn't make a difference, my shaves say otherwise.

Ok here's my take on it...

In harsh winter months, my skin takes a beating and my shaves suck!...not at all close and quite uncomfortable!

I usually use some pre shave oil that helps somewhat to make the skin supple and assist in improving the shave.

This year, I tried something different...I massaged a dab of cetaphil lotion as a pre shave.
My expectations were that it wouldn't do much and may even negatively impact the lather.

First success was that it didn't impact the lather at all (probably because I massaged it in really well) and second success was the big one...the shave was much more comfortable and smoother in the end!

I read somewhere in the past that pre shave is to condition the skin, not the stubble and I believe it! (It makes sense that with all the good soaps on the market, why in the world would we need to soften the hair beforehand or require more slickness?!!)
Whether it's pre shave oil or the cetaphil lotion, both these work best when my skin is in bad shape! In warmer months, the pre shave oil makes zero difference so I don't use it.

I haven't found much benefit from pre-shave creams or oils. I do reach for my Proraso Red pre-shave cream every now and then because I love the smell.

Ok here's my take on it...

In harsh winter months, my skin takes a beating and my shaves suck!...not at all close and quite uncomfortable!

I usually use some pre shave oil that helps somewhat to make the skin supple and assist in improving the shave.

This year, I tried something different...I massaged a dab of cetaphil lotion as a pre shave.
My expectations were that it wouldn't do much and may even negatively impact the lather.

First success was that it didn't impact the lather at all (probably because I massaged it in really well) and second success was the big one...the shave was much more comfortable and smoother in the end!

I read somewhere in the past that pre shave is to condition the skin, not the stubble and I believe it! (It makes sense that with all the good soaps on the market, why in the world would we need to soften the hair beforehand or require more slickness?!!)
Whether it's pre shave oil or the cetaphil lotion, both these work best when my skin is in bad shape! In warmer months, the pre shave oil makes zero difference so I don't use it.

I’m going to say +1 to this.The only pre-shave oil i ever used was awful, but the Grooming Department preshave seems to work pretty well and i think it’s because it “conditions” your skin and adds a thin layer between the soap and the razor. And like you @nav i find that it helps most in the winter. Now is it “worth it?” I’m hesitant to say yes because most days i don’t notice much of a difference. But when my skin is either too dry or suffering from a bad shave, it seems to work well in those instances which is why i continue to use it daily. When it runs out i’ll have to reevaluate whether i’ll be buying another tub.

Reactions: nav
I’m going to say +1 to this.The only pre-shave oil i ever used was awful, but the Grooming Department preshave seems to work pretty well and i think it’s because it “conditions” your skin and adds a thin layer between the soap and the razor. And like you @nav i find that it helps most in the winter. Now is it “worth it?” I’m hesitant to say yes because most days i don’t notice much of a difference. But when my skin is either too dry or suffering from a bad shave, it seems to work well in those instances which is why i continue to use it daily. When it runs out i’ll have to reevaluate whether i’ll be buying another tub.

Good stuff!
The fact that it only helps me in winter reinforces that it's a skin issue.

I had looked into GD pre shave but it was cost prohibitive as I'm not in the US.

Cetaphil lotion took me by surprise! Just a small dab worked great.

I may try aveeno lotion next just to see if it behaves the same as cetaphil.

I find Proraso Green pre-shave makes no difference in blade glade during the shave but oh my does it make my face feel like a million dollars post shave!

Combined with the Green shave cream, naturally.

Having a wife as a scientist pays off on this question. The pre shave is supposed to condition the skin and allow a smoother glide for the blade and the chemicals in the pre shave make the stubble stiffer actually to make them standup and shave easier. That being said I’ve never used a pre shave since I started wet shaving in 1977 as I always just shave after a shower.

I think it has to do with a phrase I heard once while they were teaching us American phrases and idioms during KGB spy training.

It went like, "A guy with an inground pool and his money are soon parted."

Maybe it wasn't "pool". Maybe it was "spool". Some kind of "-ool" word.

My KGB handlers were okay, but not the most hip dudes you ever met. I wonder now what they were driving at...

[Edit: if this is about pre-shave oils, then I wholeheartedly endorse. But a "balm"? No. Sounds fraudulent.

Last edited:
I think it has to do with a phrase I heard once while they were teaching us American phrases and idioms during KGB spy training.

It went like, "A guy with an inground pool and his money are soon parted."

Maybe it wasn't "pool". Maybe it was "spool". Some kind of "-ool" word.

My KGB handlers were okay, but not the most hip dudes you ever met. I wonder now what they were driving at...

[Edit: if this is about pre-shave oils, then I wholeheartedly endorse. But a "balm"? No. Sounds fraudulent.

Whatever aftershave splash you’re drinking, I need some of that.

Top Bottom