What's new

What is "obsessive"?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
How do you define it? Here's but one simple manifestation-

Yesterday, instead of shaving in the morning, I waited until the mail arrived, to see if I could shave with something "new". :tongue_sm Nothing came, and I was p.o.'d. :frown: Not wanting to make the same mistake again, today I shaved early, then was pissed when the mailman delivered my Nationwide Campus package.:mad: Yargh!

How nuts does this hobby get you?:001_rolle

That's not obsessive. Obsessive it when you have two Post Office boxes so SWMBO does not know what you are receiving. And you have two so that all of the "package" delivery slips fit into the boxes. Obesessive is when you decide on rose shaving cream, and use a different rose for each pass, lathered with a different brush and removed with a different razor. Obsessive is when you accidentally order a "shaved ice" machine. Obsessive is when you sort your brushes, soaps and creams alphabetically and have them cross-referenced by manufacturer. Obsessive is when you store your razors by year.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
That's not obsessive. Obsessive it when you have two Post Office boxes so SWMBO does not know what you are receiving. And you have two so that all of the "package" delivery slips fit into the boxes. Obesessive is when you decide on rose shaving cream, and use a different rose for each pass, lathered with a different brush and removed with a different razor. Obsessive is when you accidentally order a "shaved ice" machine. Obsessive is when you sort your brushes, soaps and creams alphabetically and have them cross-referenced by manufacturer. Obsessive is when you store your razors by year.

Randy

So did you keep the shaved ice machine or sell it on ebay? :biggrin:

Obsessive is buying a cool box for your creams and soaps so the hot weather doesn't effect their scent. Obsessive is dipping your DE's in surgical spirits before every shave and in an ultrasonic steriliser every week in order to kill the multitudes of bacteria that may have infected your DE/ SE. Obsessive is having a shaving brush for months before you use it because you are worried about the bristles falling out.
Fun being me, isn't it?

If we ignore the rather self pitying tone of my last post on this topic, I would like to add that I think the vast majority of people are obsessive to a certain degree. Being OCD, I identify and then follow patterns; now the patterns of behaviour I allow myself are narrowly focused and unproductive, but the ability to recognise certain patterns allows me to see where they exist in other peoples behaviour as well. To me it is evident that every one has certain obsessive behavioural tendencies, what is really important is not being able to label obsessive within the parameters of certain criteria but rather how the individual person deals with it. There are those who allow their obsessive behaviour patterns to rule their lives to their own detriment, and those who are able to marshal their compulsions and direct the energy into positive pursuits.

Okay, this doesn't really fit the topic, but a good laugh is its own justification.

Have you heard of structured procrastination?

I have been intending to write this essay for months. Why am I finally doing it? Because I finally found some uncommitted time? Wrong. I have papers to grade, textbook orders to fill out, an NSF proposal to referee, dissertation drafts to read. I am working on this essay as a way of not doing all of those things. This is the essence of what I call structured procrastination, an amazing strategy I have discovered that converts procrastinators into effective human beings...

ouch

rtaylor61 said:
Obsessive is when you store your razors by year.

Randy

By year??? You mean you don't store them by quarter? How do you separate your E1's from your E3's?:lol:

Last year I volunteered to negotiate an acquisition in Minneapolis in February to delay having to participate in the annual audit. Did I mention that I live in AZ and it is 70 degrees here in February? The seller was an irrational, crazy alcoholic whom nobody wanted to deal with, including me but I'll take a madman over an audit any day. My structured procrastination involved ice-fishing and lutefisk. In the end I brought the deal in at a smoking price. I do my best work when I am avoiding doing my work.
Cheers,
Jeff

ouch said:
How do you define it? Here's but one simple manifestation-

Yesterday, instead of shaving in the morning, I waited until the mail arrived, to see if I could shave with something "new". :tongue_sm Nothing came, and I was p.o.'d. :frown: Not wanting to make the same mistake again, today I shaved early, then was pissed when the mailman delivered my Nationwide Campus package.:mad: Yargh!

How nuts does this hobby get you?:001_rolle

Tell you what. The day my mailman doesn't bring something new I will respond and let you know how I react. Of course if nothing comes in the mail I could always run to CVS and get some Palmolive that I have been meaning to try out.... So it is very possible you may need to wait till 2017 before I respond.

Obsessive???

What's the last thing you think of when you fall sleep at night?

a shaving brush....

What's the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning?

a shaving brush..........

What are you thinking of in between???

a shaving brush.....

and if you're NOT thinking of shaving brushes, then you're thinking of wetshaving.....

THAT's what i call obsessive.........................:biggrin:

drOCDP

ouch

Gatorade said:
Tell you what. The day my mailman doesn't bring something new I will respond and let you know how I react.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Top Bottom