What's new

What is Molybden Steel?

Is Molybden Steel anti-corrosive steel? Is it a harder steel alloy? Does it effect razor performance? What is Molybden Steel?

I am by no means an expert. Molybden to my knowledge is an element added to carbon steels to increase hardness. It promotes the formation of acicular ferritic structures. I am not sure about anti-corrosive properties, but could help.

Molybdenum and tungsten add what is called "red hardness" to tool steel. (Chromium, Vanadium, Manganese, and Cobalt are often alloyed too)
Red hardness means that the cutting edge remains hard when the tool has been heated red hot by the friction of the cut.
It's called high speed steel because you can cut steel at high speeds without the tool edge failing. The drill bits in your home toolbox are usually made of high speed steel. Different percentages of molybdenum, tungsten, vanadium, manganese, etc. determine the grade and cost of the high speed steel. I doubt you will ever see a high speed steel razor blade. No matter how fast I shave, I don't think I'll heat up the cutting edge to red hot!
Plain carbon steel can actually be hardened to a higher hardness than high speed steel, but the temperature at the cutting point soon dulls the carbon steel unless very slow cutting speeds are used with high volume liquid lubricant/coolant flooding of the cutting edge.
Chromium is usually used for rust resistance, but it also creates chromium carbides in the alloying process that contribute to hardness. Chromium is the primary alloying element in stainless steel.

Edit: want your drill bits to last longer when cutting metal? Flood the cutting edge with oil. Any oil will do. That stinky smoke that comes off the drill bit? It's a result of heat generated by the cut turning the oil to vapour. If there was no oil and resultant vapour, that heat would be going into the work and the drill bit, causing your drill bit to dull.

Last edited:
Actually I made a high speed steel razor some time ago. There is a thread about it around here somewhere. HSS was termed "high speed" because it could be used at higher speed than plain carbon steel tools. Approximately double the speed while still holding an edge. It is true that a razor will never be used at anywhere near these speeds, and also that for hair it could be used at considerably higher cutting speed than for steel! :)

Another benefit of HSS is that it is usually considerably harder than most "plain carbon" tool steels at room temperature. Most of those are going to be around 60 HRc, while most HSS is going to range in the 65+ HRc region.

For razors, using HSS means a little less sharpening, but a little more difficulty doing so. It is also a bit brittle at very narrow angles like used in a straight razor.

I live in Colorado, home of the Climax mine. I believe that it was the largest Moly deposit in the world. The prospector who originally patented the mine knew that he had found something, but he didn't know what it was! He did the required improvements to keep the patent until the WWII rolled around when it was found how valuable of an alloy moly was for high strength steel. Fascinating story.

I have done some traveling in Colorado. I recognize the location of the Climax mine in Summit county, some great skiing areas (Breckenridge, Copper, A-basin, Keystone) in the area as well. My Dad was really into narrow-gauge railroads, so we took a trip down to another mining town, Durango, and stayed at the Strater Hotel. Lots to see and do in your state. Great Sand Dunes National Park is another cool place to visit.

Top Bottom