What's new

What is military issue now in boot camp?

I have spent so much time reading up on what vintage stuff the military used to issue back in the day that I never thought to look at what they use today. My brother said that when he went through boot camp about 10 years ago they used the Gillette Fusion 5 blade razor and Edge shave gel. Any idea what is standard issue in boot camp today? And when deployed, do they still issue you standard stuff, or can you take whatever you want?

About 15 years ago I was issued a Mach 3 and some kind of stuff in a can. You don’t get issued anything else after boot camp. As far as deploying, I like to have a little bit of variety in both razors DE/SE/Shavette) and soap/splash. I find it too much of a pain to travel with a straight razor and everything needed to maintain it.

In the US, depends on your service and service code. The current list (partial) for USMC:

List of United States Marine Corps individual equipment - Wikipedia

For a deployment, depends on where you're going and what you do. Basic personal hygiene and survival equipment at the AO, varies by location, but frequently throw-away things that don't take up space or weigh much (as far as shaving, soap and a disposable. Or nothing.). Forward locations are pretty well supported by the AOR, but some deployments are to bases larger than many US facilities.

Last edited:
During Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm (1990-1991) my artillery battery received Class VI personal care boxes at our remote location in the north central Saudi Arabian desert. Included were white plastic twin blade disposable razors that were not branded.

Last edited:
1969, basic at fort Dix NJ. We brought our own razors from home. if I remember correctly, we all had Gillette’s And used DE blades. we were not allowed to go to the PX until halfway through basic. So the blades had to last as we were expected to shave daily. Interestingly, when we finally got to the PX, everyone bought a new razor and extra pack of blades for display in our foot lockers.

In 2009, MCRD San Diego had Gillette Fusion 5s. For deployments, you get what you bring. You'll be able to buy whatever is available OCONUS but most likely will be only cartridge options.

In 2003 MCRD PI had Gillette Mach 3's and I believe Edge Gel. I remember it was a revolution in shaving for me at the time as I had used Bic disposables prior to that, like my father did. I later found just plain old Barbasol foam to be superior to any gel I tried, and most soap pucks and brushes superior to anything in a can. We weren't issued razors, we had to buy them. Even in recruit training. We were fronted money to put on account at the PX upon arriving. We purchased all of our hygiene stuff (exactly what we were told to purchase, when we were told to purchase it) for 3 months on that account. Same went for haircuts, those came out of our check to.

Later on, after leaving recruit training, we could use whatever. I stuck with the Mach 3 until almost 2 years after I got out. Then I switched to DE shaving. I'm actually looking at trying out some of the newer premium cartridges in the coming month just to compare them to my DE and Straights. Just to see if I feel that carts are as inferior as I remember them being when I first started DE shaving.

In 1990 Army Basic, when you showed up they gave you an advance on your pay along with a checklist of things you needed like toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shaving stuff, running shoes, shoe polish, etc. Then they marched you to a special little PX with just the things on the checklist. For shaving stuff, it was all carts or disposables and canned shaving cream. So to answer your question, they didn't issue you stuff but you didn't have much choice in what you had to buy either.

For deployments you could take pretty much any shaving stuff you wanted with you but if you were at a place big enough to have a PX, they sold most of the same stuff you'd find at a store in the US.

I was in the Army from 84 to 93 and was never issued any personal hygiene gear. That was an individual responsibility, and fulfilment of that responsibility was assured by one's squad leader.

I personally used Track II's and later Atra's. I kept two inexpensive battery operated foil razors for use when using a razor was not convenient, one in the glove box of my vehicle and the other in my jump bag. Examples of non convenient shaving environments were running late for morning formation after a long night, and being deployed in an area that lacked sanitation. Those foil razors saw more use that you would think, mostly from the long nights. I did not ever see anyone use a DE or a straight. Amazingly, I survived my youth.

Last edited:
USAF, basic training in summer 1966--we weren't issued safety razors. We shaved whatever we brought from home in our 'ditty' bags. It was several days before we were granted a run to the annex BX, so we had to shave with whatever we had or whatever we might borrow from another guy.

1986-Orlando, i think we just got disposables ?? But Gillette Foamy for shave cream, sure brings back memories every time i smell it !!!

I got to Lackland AFB August 10th 1972. We all got to to our barracks about 2 am when the DIs walked in. After telling us what to do that night and expect the next day he says don't worry about shaving tonight just get some sleep if you can. The next morning we fall in for formation for the first time and he's in my face asking why I didn't shave. I didn't say a thing and he backed off. I remember shaving with one of those Schicks where the blade's on a internal ribbon and the cream was our choice. Was the razor called the astronaut's razor? FYI the DI's name was Lucero and his assistant was named Pina.

Top Bottom