What's new

What is military issue now in boot camp?

USAF, basic training in summer 1966--we weren't issued safety razors. We shaved whatever we brought from home in our 'ditty' bags. It was several days before we were granted a run to the annex BX, so we had to shave with whatever we had or whatever we might borrow from another guy.
You were in those old WW2 barracks too? In 1972 the new ones were being built.

I got to Lackland AFB August 10th 1972. We all got to to our barracks about 2 am when the DIs walked in. After telling us what to do that night and expect the next day he says don't worry about shaving tonight just get some sleep if you can. The next morning we fall in for formation for the first time and he's in my face asking why I didn't shave. I didn't say a thing and he backed off. I remember shaving with one of those Schicks where the blade's on a internal ribbon and the cream was our choice. Was the razor called the astronaut's razor? FYI the DI's name was Lucero and his assistant was named Pina.
It's interesting how we remember the names of our military instructors; mine (summer of '79) were Stonum and Virella :)

I am among the last of the last class of age to do conscription in France, I was issued all Bic product for what we call "classe" aka basic training, after that we were fortunate enough to be able to choose affectation, I was based on a boat doing scientific base resupply in the Indian ocean and was provided more Bic product, honestly can not remember the type, just disposable in the classe and cartridge for the boat time

It's interesting how we remember the names of our military instructors; mine (summer of '79) were Stonum and Virella :)

Razors were the farthest thing in my mind as I stood - too uncomfortably close - beside one of my fellow recruits in parade formation for inspection at Sheppard AFB in 1975, but I do remember the TI. The recruit in question was wearing a set of mirrored Foster Grants, with an electric blue tie and wingtips, very distinctly not Air Force issue. I don't recall the entire conversation (probably repressed memory), but I was close enough to catch some of the spittle and froth from the TI, and the saving grace was that he completely ignored the rest of us, some of whom may have been sufficiently shaven or not. But I did learn some new and exciting words. I also don't recall that I ever saw my fellow Airman again, alive or otherwise. Probably just as well. :001_rolle

Last edited:
I went to ft. Leonard wood US army basic in 1989. We used what we brought from home and resupplied at the ox when we went after a couple weeks. One kid a baby face from WA state had never shaved in his life and it was about a month before the drill sargents caught him on it. He caught hell and they made him shave in front of them for about week. I think I had a tracII.

I believe it was a Gillette Tech, aluminum handle made in Germany and head assembled in the US/UK. Distributed by Clay Adams. Up till the mid 70's,-80's. There is probably an NSN number still in old lists.

Also the Hammer brand stainless steel DE blade. I think these were all general issue.

There are also unbranded blades also made by the Vulcan Safety Razor Corp. of Maplewood, N.J (like the Hammer Brand blades) and the NSN was 8530-00-782-3009, with designation "Blade, Safety Razor, Style 3, Grade C, Stainless Steel 20 unit packages"
This is a box of 100 blades. It was light blue and buff in colour.

Last edited:
I believe it was a Gillette Tech, aluminum handle made in Germany and head assembled in the US/UK. Distributed by Clay Adams. Up till the mid 70's,-80's. There is probably an NSN number still in old lists.

Also the Hammer brand stainless steel DE blade. I think these were all general issue.

There are also unbranded blades also made by the Vulcan Safety Razor Corp. of Maplewood, N.J (like the Hammer Brand blades) and the NSN was 8530-00-782-3009, with designation "Blade, Safety Razor, Style 3, Grade C, Stainless Steel 20 unit packages"
This is a box of 100 blades. It was light blue and buff in colour.
Wow. Thanks for the detailed info.

Wow. Thanks for the detailed info.
These were all theoretically available for issue from QM stocks until I think the early 80's from what I have seen. Maybe even later. However, it doesn't mean they actually were issued unless by specific request and or purpose.

By the same token I have seen a box of M1942 mess kits (the 'meat can') new and unissued. The box was dated as contents manufactured 2003. They were still being produced in limited quantity it seems up till just over 20 years ago. Amazing.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I'm in Taiwan and every adult male has to serve a certain period of time.
On the first day of enlistment, everything in the bag must be poured out for inspection by the squad leader, and then we will send home any items that are not needed or that could be dangerous.

Our country does not send razors to us. During the recruit training process, everyone uses their own razors, usually ink cartridges; because we are not allowed to carry electrical appliances during recruit training, we cannot carry mobile phones + can only make public telephones, and of course not There are enough sockets.
Since the bathroom is full of soldiers during the evening break, we have to wash up + call the family + buy groceries during the limited hours... I usually go to the bathroom in the middle of the night to take advantage of the five minute quick shave.
I'd stick a metal mirror in my wallet and shave with the "Schick Fx Performer", which is now far more difficult to buy than the Trac II.

Once soldiers are assigned to the unit, we are allowed to shave any way we like, as long as it doesn't explode, leak secrets, or hurt anyone. Electric razors are allowed, but I stick with my "Schick Fx Performer".
I was discharged from the military in 2009.

Last edited:
Top Bottom