What's new

What is Methodshaving?

okay- so i know what wet shaving is. I have a Merkur long handle on the way, and have been using proraso products for 3 months now. here is my current collection of shaving products:

proxy.php

Anywho, i have been using the sensor for a while and its okay. i hope the merkur (plus the razor sampler pack from letterK) will help out. I'm 21 years old and have always suffered from pimples/shaving irritation, especially on the neck. What would help the most?

In my experience (I am also 21 and have been wetshaving for about 2 months) Pre-shave prep work and technique are the most important aspects. (thats quite a collection by the way :smile:) A good razor will probably go a long way..it sounds as if you may have very sensitive skin so I would say prep work and the right kind of cream will really help. and keep asking quesions :biggrin:

I have been wet shaving for one year now, and having had the problem you described for years I am glad to say it cam be helped. It took a little while to get used to a double edge razor. I even gave up on it for a while, and used the merkur twin blade for a few months with an ocasional de shave. using the twin blade with and with out pivoting cartridges I was able to better understand the proper way to use the de. now I use my Merku HD with feather blades and have very little problem. Just remember not to use
any presure and don't give up it will take a while to get used to. good luck

I'm also new to wetshaving, but I solved the pimple/bump problem at the source.

If you really want to deal with pimples and skin blemishes, cut out as much refined sugar and refined carbohydrates from your diet as possible. Many new nutritional studies have shown that skin blemishes (excluding those caused by physical damage) are caused and aggrevated by a high level of refined sugars/carbs in the diet.

Anyways, the key to a great DE shave is to take your time at first and make sure to keep the blade at the proper angle. It's going to take a long time to shave the first few times you do it.

hey- what exactly are refined sugars/carbs? you mean like, white sugars instead of brown? white bread instead of whole wheat?

Well, since you're a Matt and I'm a Matt, I guess I'll explain. :)

Refined sugars/carbs come from grains and sugars that have been heavily refined from their natural state. Any sugar produced from sugar cane/beets certainly counts as a refined sugar, as does the high-fructose corn syrup found in sodas. Wheat and rice with its bran layer removed (white flour and white rice) are also very refined. Unrefined sugars are the kind you digest from eating whole fruits and veggies.

It's typically a good idea to remove anything with a lot of sugar from your diet if acne is a problem. Stick to whole wheat breads (and READ LABELS. some wheat breads sold in stores have added sugar and high fructose corn syrup) and try to eat more green veggies. It's a good opportunity to try some new ways to prepare old classics. Stir-fry some brocolli for your next meal, or make collard greens (don't overcook them!).

The basic problem stems from the fact that humans love sugar, so food makers put sugar in EVERYTHING from bread to juice to cheese in order to make it sell better. Back in the days when we had to work hard for food, sweetness indicated concentrated calories, which our forefathers loved because it would get them through periods when food might be scarce. Today, when you can get any kind of food you want with extreme ease, everyone needs to stop making food choices based upon instincts that believe we may need to survive famine and drought at any minute. A great book if you're interested in some basic nutritional science and a lot of sample meals is called "The Powerfood Nutrition Plan". It's produced by Rodale publishing. It covers a lot of the basic science behind today's greatest food science discoveries and the problems with modern food production.

Remember, less acne = comfy, enjoyable shave!

Yep, but I always wondered... do I want to pay $20/pound for berries? Think about how many pounds of less exotic berries I could buy with $20. :001_tt2:

LtBrugman70 said:
...or make collard greens (don't overcook them!).

Excuse me!?!?!?! Were I come from, collards are cooked for a very long time. With fatback (how is fatback for the skin? probably not good....). Mmmmm..... I suppose it is healthier to cook for less time, but, well, it wouldn't be the same.

I'll just throw this out there... :001_tt2:

I often wonder how many people out there actually do use or have even tried Methodshaving...

From what I've read and seen about it, on one hand I'll admit it intrigues me and really makes me curious to try it. On the other hand though while reading especially the .pdf on it, I can't help but feel like there's this little guy in the back of my head screaming "SNAKE OIL!!!"

Because of the $100+ price tag to get the "system", I've been very reluctant to try.

Take this thread for example... A simple question of "What is Methodshaving" was asked, and it took days before an answer was ever given. If it had a large following, I can't imagine that being the case, especially in a section of the forum dedicated to it. Even the methodshaving forums themselves seem to be devoid of participation.

It just seems to me that there are VERY few people out there that have even tried it. At least not in it's entirety with all his products, etc. Is that because it's no good? Or because of that same "snake oil" feeling I get when reading about it? The few that I DO know who have tried it, do seem to be incrediably impressed by it, but they're so few and far between it seems difficult to get a good opinion.

I guess it's something I'll just have to try for myself sometime, though again that $100+ price tag is a tough one to overcome for possible "snake oil"... :scared:

Honestly I haven't tried it yet. I do intend to soon simply because it would be very unlike me to not try a new way to shave :biggrin:

Since I live in the Austin area and have had many conversations with the creator both in person and e-mail, I have been able to see a little past the "snake oil" and get a better feel for what this is all about. Even though I haven't picked up the whole line I have been able to apply some of the techniques (namely the 3x cutting forms... and I do have the peppermint AS conditioner which is great stuff) to my routine and had great results.

I'll have a better opinion when I actually give the products try. I think the whole system is great for someone new to wetshaving (and willing to put up the $$) because it gives them detailed systematic process of shaving that will consistantly yield good results. Being an experienced traditional wetshaver I'm definately not ready to throw out my English products for the next best thing, but I do enjoy having a variety of products to choose from.

If you do, please let me know how your experience goes. I've heard really good things about his products, and I'm sure his intentions are good. I guess it's just the way he words things that has that.... umm... "Used Car Dealer" feel. (No offense to used car dealers... :biggrin: ) I'll admit though, every time I think about it I do get closer and closer to ordering his stuff, if for no other reason then just to try something different.

LtBrugman70 said:
I'm also new to wetshaving, but I solved the pimple/bump problem at the source.

If you really want to deal with pimples and skin blemishes, cut out as much refined sugar and refined carbohydrates from your diet as possible. Many new nutritional studies have shown that skin blemishes (excluding those caused by physical damage) are caused and aggrevated by a high level of refined sugars/carbs in the diet.

I don't mean to start an argument, but they are many dermatologists who disagree with the dietary / skin cause-effect relationship. You are correct, there are some studies that show what you saying, but there are other factors, a main one being genetics and another being facial cleansing. What many of these studies show is a correlation, not a precise causal relationship. A psychological factor is that often those that strictly regiment their diets also pay special care to hygeine. But I'm sure cutting out of those refined sugars, etc from your diet will have lots of benefits in a variety of areas.

rusirius -

Try to get past the "used car dealer" feel as you put it. Accept it for what it is, one man's passion. It's obviously the the end-all-be-all for everyone. His stuff is great for what it is and if used correctly. Hope you have the chance to talk with Charles and try it out.

-Collin

rusirius said:
If you do, please let me know how your experience goes. I've heard really good things about his products, and I'm sure his intentions are good. I guess it's just the way he words things that has that.... umm... "Used Car Dealer" feel. (No offense to used car dealers... :biggrin: ) I'll admit though, every time I think about it I do get closer and closer to ordering his stuff, if for no other reason then just to try something different.

You should check out Kyle's review of Methodshaving.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1471&highlight=method+shaving

Since you've already been shaving with a sensor but great creams and nice brush... you'll be blown away at how a DE is so good for the skin (after the initial couple of weeks it takes to get it figured out. Merkurs are awesome BTW, hopefully you didn't get the Futur or Vision, but one of the cheaper better ones IMHO.

Not to go off-topic, but the picture that you included was the definitive picture of "Wetshaving supplies you can buy locally in most urban US cities"

Top Bottom