What's new

What is it with these tobacco sellers?

Heading down to see my older brother in New Orleans next week and thought I would surprise him with a great cigar. After the IPSD fiasco I went to a different seller. Thompson Cigars had a sweet deal. Buy a full box of Atruro Fuente premium cigars and they throw in an Opus X. So I buy a box of Don Carlos #3s and they arrived today sans the Opus X. I had liked the deal so much that I went back and ordered another box so we could both have an Opus X together. It has shipped I fear the next box will be missing the extra as well. Over 300 bucks worth of stogies to get the cool extras and they just don't bother to send them. I couldn't get anyone on the phone on Saturday so I will try them on Monday. This kind of stuff just drives me nuts.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Ah Thompsons... Volumes of forum posts could be collected regarding their less than savory reputation. Also, you should receive a catalog a month for the next 5 to 6 years. The generally accepted opinion is to avoid them like the plague!

This is a bad time of the year to be hunting Opus I'm afraid (In between Christmas and Fathers Day) but my B&M has #5s. Let me know if I can help...

Last edited:
I heard that they've been known to call your phone in the past as well. Basically, their reputation is that they harass you like a bill collector.

I heard that they've been known to call your phone in the past as well. Basically, their reputation is that they harass you like a bill collector.

It still seems a shame that you have to research the internet to order a box of cigars. Why not just be honest and legit? If I get harassing calls I will block they straight away.

This is a bad time of the year to be hunting Opus I'm afraid (In between Christmas and Fathers Day) but my B&M has #5s. Let me know if I can help...

Thanks for the offer. My daughter lives in Philly and Holtz has them in stock. I will pay a premium price, but it is doable.

It still seems a shame that you have to research the internet to order a box of cigars. Why not just be honest and legit? If I get harassing calls I will block they straight away.
Yeah, it sucks. I usually try to do a quick check on whatever online store that I'm ordering from... unless it involves Esoterica and I don't have time. :lol:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That's like a wine store saying "buy a case of Lindemans Bin 65 Chardonnay* and we'll throw in a bottle of Ch. Margaux", then failing to deliver the latter. I struggle to find printable words to describe your situation.

*A perennial no-brainer bargain

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yeah, it sucks. I usually try to do a quick check on whatever online store that I'm ordering from... unless it involves Esoterica and I don't have time. :lol:
I need to dig up that classic Tobbaco Reviews review of Penzance involving some shady stuff

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Not exactly a bait and switch but i believe you would have some recourse if you don't get what was promise.

On the phone with these Bozos for a 1/2 an hour I will never get back.

TC - Well this promotion was "while supplies last".

Me - It says nothing of limited supplies or anything of the sort on the web site. IT IS STILL THERE!

.......after holding for a long while.....
TC - well..Arturo Fuente's truck got stolen so the cigars are missing.

Me - so you had no supplies to last. LOL you still have this offer up on your site. I have copies of screen shots in case you take it down. This is "bait & switch", false advertising and theft by deception. I will include all the details in my letter to the Florida Attorney General. BTW I will also be disputing the payments on the CC.

.....more holding........
TC - We will call you back this evening and tell you how we can make this right.

Me - I look forward to the call.

For future reference, Small Batch Cigars are probably the best online cigar shop in terms of the people who work there. They're active on /r/cigars and are generally awesome people. It's like the Goulet Pens of the cigar world.

[QUOTE="alpster, post: 8956218, member: 63927]

.......after holding for a long while.....
TC - well..Arturo Fuente's truck got stolen so the cigars are missing.
[/QUOTE]

I think that was a scene in one of the Fast and Furious movies...sheesh what a sorry retailer. I hope they make it right for you and thanks for sharing your experience.

They left a message on my answer machine. "That was a bonus buy, it should have popped up when you went to check out, but it didn't pop up for you, because the AF truck was stolen". "It should have allowed you to purchase a "Bonus" Opus X for $40" It was a "Bonus Buy" not a promotion".

I swear you can't make this stuff up. My problem is I don't have time before I leave on vacation to fight with these guys anymore. Take heed, these guys are real dirt bags and totally dishonest.

Just got off the phone with another CS rep who assures me they will send a return shipping label and total refund within two weeks. We will see.....

I stopped dealing with Thompson years ago. I hate stale goods. There are reputable retailers on line & I make regular purchases.

Top Bottom