What's new

What is it with Mitchell's Wool Fat?

I really like MWF, but alas, I believe I have an allergy to the lanolin. My fave gets a bit reddish in color and I itch when using it. So saf

Izen, what is your water like? Hard, soft?
Hey Mac, I honestly don't know, exactly. It's a good question and online searches that I've done aren't very definitive. I've lived in a few different regions of new york state. Pretty sure there are minerals in the tap water here. Probably much harder water in michigan. It is a lather killer for sure.

MWF Once you get it dialled in it is fantastic soap and the lather just explodes

View attachment 796620

I just got some for my birthday & test lathered it today expecting to have some trouble since I have really hard water & had heard all the horror stories. I bloomed the MWF for 10 minutes, poured the bloom water in the VDH mug, used a WD 24 mm badger brush, squeezed the water out of it, loaded the soap for a minute, & lathered in the mug hoping for the best. I was pleasantly surprised to get results like in this pic - maybe even better. Lather just exploded out of my mug. I kept pulling lather out of the mug & setting it on top of the water in the sink. Then adding water to the soap in the mug to test the limits. After doing that several times, I never got to the point where the lather broke down. It got thin in the mug, but was still thick enough to shave with & was still slick. When I went to clean up, I pulled some of the lather into my hands that had been floating on top of the water in the sink for 5-10 minutes. It was still very "peak-y" (?) and holding up well enough to use for a shave. In total, I think I generated enough lather for a 10-pass shave.

Looking forward to shaving with it, but am sticking with my Haslinger Schafmilch (3017ing it & think it has 2-4 more weeks left in it.)

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I just got some for my birthday & test lathered it today expecting to have some trouble since I have really hard water & had heard all the horror stories. I bloomed the MWF for 10 minutes, poured the bloom water in the VDH mug, used a WD 24 mm badger brush, squeezed the water out of it, loaded the soap for a minute, & lathered in the mug hoping for the best. I was pleasantly surprised to get results like in this pic - maybe even better. Lather just exploded out of my mug. I kept pulling lather out of the mug & setting it on top of the water in the sink. Then adding water to the soap in the mug to test the limits. After doing that several times, I never got to the point where the lather broke down. It got thin in the mug, but was still thick enough to shave with & was still slick. When I went to clean up, I pulled some of the lather into my hands that had been floating on top of the water in the sink for 5-10 minutes. It was still very "peak-y" (?) and holding up well enough to use for a shave. In total, I think I generated enough lather for a 10-pass shave.

Looking forward to shaving with it, but am sticking with my Haslinger Schafmilch (3017ing it & think it has 2-4 more weeks left in it.)

Any thoughts on a direct comparison to Haslinger? Is the HS your 3017ing the sheeps milk with lanolin?

Any thoughts on a direct comparison to Haslinger? Is the HS your 3017ing the sheeps milk with lanolin?

@shavefan MWF has more lanolin and post shave feel than Haslinger Schafmilch, Haslinger Schafmilch can create a lather much quick and thicker than MWF so they both play a 50/50 and their both fantastic to have in your den.

Trust me I love both Haslinger Schafmilch and Mitchell's Wool Fat ;)

@shavefan MWF has more lanolin and post shave feel than Haslinger Schafmilch, Haslinger Schafmilch can create a lather much quick and thicker than MWF so they both play a 50/50 and their both fantastic to have in your den.

Trust me I love both Haslinger Schafmilch and Mitchell's Wool Fat ;)

I can't compare shaves because I haven't used the MWF during a shave yet - only a lather test. But in that, I thought it was very comparable to the Haslinger (yes, I'm 3017ing the Sheep's Milk version.) I thought it was a little slicker & left a better "post-shave/ moisturizing feel on my hands than does the Haslinger. Not that the Haslinger is bad, but I thought the MWF was a little better. (But who knows - maybe if I was 3017ing the MWF & tried the Haslinger for the first time, I'd say the same thing about the Haslinger because it's "new". We'll see...)

I disagree w/ SpeedyPC, though, on the speed of the lather. During my test lather Sun PM, the MWF lathered up very nicely. If it lathered slower than the Haslinger, it certainly wasn't noticeable to me (Granted, this is an evaluation based on my one - & so far, only - time lathering MWF. So take that for whatever it's worth.)

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have hard water and no problem lathering MWF. I actually moved from a home with soft water and actually had more trouble with the soft water.

I gave it away, though. The shaves were mostly good and the lather was quite thick but I like a more creamy, thick lather rather than the light and fluffy lather MWF has. Still a great soap though.

i know i kind of did this back aswards but i bought the refill puck first. I had read it was hard to lather so i grated the whole puck into a dollar store type cup and proceeded to 3017 it. Well that lasted quite awhile until it was almost empty and some how i got it into what is left if my brain to microwave what was left to help it lay better in the bottom of the mug. Got a little distracted with the kids and next thing i know i had a miniature white volcano erupting in my microwave. Looked pretty cool, and it sure made plenty of suds in the dishwater when i was cleaning the mess off the glass carousel. But any how after that fiasco i decided to order the ceramic bowl of it since i had kind of decided it really was top shelf. Came tonight and really is one that will always be in my rotation !

ROF

That only works with veggie soap. Tallow doesn't like the microwave.

I loaned my MWF to my daughter's father in law so he could try it and he liked it so much I didn't think I would ever get it back.

i know i kind of did this back aswards but i bought the refill puck first... and some how i got it into what is left if my brain to microwave what was left to help it lay better in the bottom of the mug...
If there's a next time; Ten seconds on half power would be a good start (and maybe, finish).

Had my MWF sitting in a mug hidden in my den and I forgot I had it. Took it out soaked it in water used my Omega boar brush and bowl lathered and it just explodes with the water you add to it. I don't see what me so hard about lathering this soap.... it performs wonderfully and the post shave is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I love the fat. I love the scent. I love the way my face feels afterwards. I'm new to wet shaving and bought a lot of other soaps to try. Now that I've spent some time with it I want to trade all my other soaps away and just use the MWF exclusively.

I recently picked up some MWF in addition to a few other classics like Tabac, La Toja stick, and Palmolive stick. For me, they're all great. I had some initial hiccups getting a good, stable lather out of MWF as opposed to disappearing bubbly froth. But armed with a consensus of tips from a bunch of "How To" MWF threads, I arrived at a lathering method that works very well. As much as I like all these soaps, I am often drawn back to MWF. The consistency of the lather, the delicate clean scent, and the skin conditioning are all excellent.

Top Bottom