What's new

What is it with blade naming conventions?

I tossed out that feather Blade that cut me 4 times (5 off you count the cut I got loading it.)

So I switched out the blade. Don't think I'll be using a Feather again ever, because if for no other reason they are three times as expensive.

So I reached in my bag of blades and pulled out a Shark brand.

What the hell... I'm going to try then all eventually, right? At least once.

This blade was nice. I did two passes. Yeah it did open one of the cuts again but that's not the Shark's faullt.

Using Dad's wild country aftershave, I got a mild tinlev except for that one cut I reopened when I was expecting it to feel like I splashed on molten lava.

So here's the thing. I'm not wondering if there is a naming convention for razor blades where it is the exact opposite of how the blade actually performs.

Like when they were coming up the name razor in pretty sure the folks at Feather passed over the names Bloodlust, Workaholic Ninja, Death by 1000 Cuts, Widow Maker, and Medieval Torture Device.

Over at Shark they passed over Comfort, Teddy Bear and Mug Hug.

By far my favorite blade.

I tossed out that feather Blade that cut me 4 times (5 off you count the cut I got loading it.)

So I switched out the blade. Don't think I'll be using a Feather again ever, because if for no other reason they are three times as expensive.

This blade was nice. I did two passes. Yeah it did open one of the cuts again but that's not the Shark's faullt.

Using Dad's wild country aftershave, I got a mild tinlev except for that one cut I reopened when I was expecting it to feel like I splashed on molten lava.

So here's the thing. I'm not wondering if there is a naming convention for razor blades where it is the exact opposite of how the blade actually performs.

Like when they were coming up the name razor in pretty sure the folks at Feather passed over the names Bloodlust, Workaholic Ninja, Death by 1000 Cuts, Widow Maker, and Medieval Torture Device.

I believe it’s a marketing thing and the names are chosen to stand out from the competition. There is after all a lot of competition. The only blade that the naming makes any sense is the BIC blades.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.

I want to buy Widow Maker blades now but Shark got it just right, every time I use one I feel like I've been attacked by a shark

Which Shark blade are you using, Super Stainless or the Super Chrome?

A lot of folks really like the Shark blades, my face has never gotten along with them. Glad this blade didn't cut you up like the Feather did!

Sharks (all of their options) also work better for me than Feathers, so you are not alone! :thumbup: :thumbup:

(And be sure to save some for SHARK WEEK!!)

Sharks (all of their options) also work better for me than Feathers, so you are not alone! :thumbup: :thumbup:

(And be sure to save some for SHARK WEEK!!)
I used a new Shark in my Fatip Open Comb Slant last Saturday. No cuts or irritation, but it just was not a pleasant-feeling shave. I switched it out for a Personna Red.

On the other hand, a Shark worked fine in my '65 Travel Tech, so . . .

I'm sorry to hear, hope it wasn't a bad cut.

BTW, I'm the opposite - never use anything but Feather when it comes to blades, be it DE or SE.

Maybe one day, you revisit your decision, as these are truly awesome blades you know. The trick is to use them with a mild razor OR just improve your technique.

Top Bottom