What's new

What is it about tea....?

Started drinking tea about 18 months ago after 45 years of “coffee, black.”

I still have a cup of coffee now and again, but I make a pot of tea every morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Read a really good book about tea, and gain a new appreciation.

There's a lot to it ... every type has a lengthy story.

AA

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I prefer tea in the winter. To warm the bones in the evening. Still need my coffee in the mornings.

Tea is way more flavorful though.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I tend to go back and forth between periods where I'm all about coffee and periods where I'm all about tea. I enjoy the heck out of both.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I normally only drink tea when I feel sick, for some reason it makes me feel better. Otherwise I hardly ever drink the stuff.

I used to drink it religiously, ordering it from Upton. The Dept got a Kuerig and I switched to coffee but lately I have been switching back to tea. Tea is so much easier on you.

Tea is pretty much like shaving supplies for me. Always looking for something new that is economical. Frequently have 2-3 different loose leaf teas, and even tea bags on hand. Had a cup of Matcha earlier this morning and now having a cup of green tea from tea bags.

I normally only drink tea when I feel sick, for some reason it makes me feel better. Otherwise I hardly ever drink the stuff.
I always drink it during the flu, colds or bad congestion issues. I gave up drinking sweetened soda a while ago so I drink a lot of iced tea at restaurants.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm enjoying a very nice cup of Chinese green & jasmine curls at the moment. Quite lovely.

How many steeps do you normally get out of your tea? I generally get two cups. If I get hot tea at Starbucks, I save / bring home the bags to use a second time.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@craigM, it depends on the tea. For most of the green teas I drink, two or three steepings usually are very good. However, only a couple of the black teas I enjoy are worth a second steeping.

How many steeps do you normally get out of your tea? I generally get two cups. If I get hot tea at Starbucks, I save / bring home the bags to use a second time.

Depends on the tea, the size of the mug I’m using, whether I’m using a basket or inginuitea, and my mood. I will do two brews usually.

I usually get a fair number of infusions but tend to pack a lot of leaf into a tiny space. 8-10 grams of tea in a 120ml pot is fairly standard.
Even using my little Tovolo TeaGo infuser in a mug at work I have multiple steeps of the oolong and black tea I have just now.

I'm a tea-totaler. For those who may be interested in the basics of tea, I recommend Tony Gebely's fine book,
Tea: A User's Guide, available at a reasonable price as an e-book on Kindle or BN Nook book. The quality and variety of teas available nowadays is unprecedented. And you can make a cup of the finest tea for a fraction of the price of a fine coffee. I recently brewed a cup of Spring Flush green tea from Japan (they only export about 2% of their harvest)
Elixir of the angels!

Top Bottom