What's new

What Is Going To Happen To Cuba ?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
AJS said:
Ascari, Aston Martin, Bentley, Bristol, Invicta, Rolls Royce I wonder if America has any marques to match those?

Let's not forget our two-wheeled friends- Norton, Triumph, Birmingham Small Arms, Royal Enfield. Talk about history. I'll tell you one thing- the Brits may have trouble keeping oil in their casings, but they certainly know how to put soul into their cars and bikes. My biggest mistake was selling my Vincent.:frown:

I'll give you the Corvette in terms of sheer muscle and performance, but the cars I mentioned have a timeless elegance and refinement to go with the brute power. Apart from the Bristol, they are the ugliest cars ever made.

It's sorta like the old Mac vs. PC debate. Mac users get all fired up over whether the Mac is a better system (and I make no arguement there), but very often the realities of life lead one down a differnt path. Maybe inexpensive is more important for mass appeal. Maybe more versitility is "better," even at the expense of stability or susceptability to viruses. Maybe uniformity is better, and since most people use a PC, it simply makes more sense from some point of view. "But Macs are better systems" becomes largely an irrellavant arguement in the end.

Sure, we all agree that DE's are better than the Fusion. We all wish that you could still buy brand new fatboys from Gillette. But for most men, the "trouble" of shaving just isn't worth looking beyond the easy answer. That's just life. You can own a 60's muscle car that you largely fix yourself, or a 2006 Camry that you don't have to concern yourself with repairing. The choice is yours. BETTER is never the arguement. Not everything that is better is also more practical.

And just because something is made, popularized, etc. in America, does not mean that it is the best product for the job, nor that anything else sucks in comparison. It simply means that a choice has been made. Maybe it was out of expediency, laziness, conformity, cheapness, availability, etc., but that's just life.

You can list all of the British products that are "better" than their American counterparts that you want. But it doesn't change the fact that people made a choice (maybe a bad one) to go with A instead of B. Besides, would jags be anything special is EVERYBODY drove one? Are Camry's or Ford F150's (common as mosquitos where I live) special, or just a common choice?

Andre

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Andre brings up some good points. Exotic cars serve no real purpose other than as a tour de force of the company's R&D abilities.
Witness the Viper. Big deal. We can make a great $100+K car/toy. Now can we make a decent <$20K car for the masses? The fact that Toyota is poised to eclipse GM as the world's largest auto maker in the near future is a hint as to the answer.

So what do you guys drive/ride?

ouch said:
So what do you guys drive/ride?

Not to brag, but I drive a '97 Honda Civic. :rolleyes:

We also bought an '03 Honda CR-V after having our second child, but that's mostly my wife's ride.

Dream car: Aston-Martin Volante. If I can just find one cheap on ebay... :lol:

Top Bottom