What's new

What is going on in the wet shaving world?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
To each his own . To me spending hundreds of dollars on razors I don’t know how they will shave isn’t fun
Robert.. that's why some of us find people here who like the same things we like... be it razors or brushes or soaps.. etc. Then our buying can be more directed with less risk.

I will say this.... as I've mentioned many times: I'm not looking for one razor to rule them all... but a group of razors that are comfortable, relaxing, smooth yet close. I have 7 of them now... and I can feel the differences between them when I shave, but they are all easy for me to use.... I passed along others that didn't make the cut. They weren't bad razors, in fact, many people just love the ones I sold. This stuff is so subjective. What works for one person doesn't for another.

Add to that, we all have varying amounts of cash we can... or want.. to spend on this hobby. There are things that work at all price levels. For me, I feel fortunate to have access to stuff made all around the world because of the internet and places like B&B. I would have have heard about most of the razors I now treasure... or brushes, for that matter had it not been for B&B and the fine people who gather here.

To each his own . To me spending hundreds of dollars on razors I don’t know how they will shave isn’t fun
Yes, truly dedicated hobbyists usually have to go to the time and trouble of selling as well as buying. And that also applies to many other hobbies.

I've found many nice razors in antique shops for $5 and $10, very few were "mint", though some were close.

I've found a like-new condition boxed Fatboy in a shop, a boxed Aristocrat in good condition in a shop, an unboxed Aristocrat in good shape, a mint lady's Blue Star Superspeed, an Old Type Bulldog for 10 bucks in a shop. It was black with tarnish but polished up nicely. A Slim ($6), a Senator ($10), a Milord, two 40s Superspeeds, two New Long Combs, a New Short Comb, a Red Tip ($5), 3 or 4 Techs ($10 or less) in excellent used condition. Several Gem SE razors, and 5 Schick SE razors. Full bottles of Avon aftershave for $2, and glass bottles of Old Spice for $10. All in shops near my home over the last year.

And I've shaved with nearly every one of the DE razors.

My NOS Techs both were part of two unused mens travel kits I found on the 'bay. Both came to me with the paper "blade" installed in the head. I know that doesn't mean that they were unused, but they both look time-capsule new.

They aren't hen's teeth, you just need to look, and use creative Ebay search terms like "vintage men's travel kit" instead of the obvious "vintage Gillette Tech" or "vintage Gillette razor".

...and I'm retired, so I have plenty of time, and enjoy combing through antique stores and shows - not just for razors. I find it fascinating, and nothing beats seeing that box that says "Gillette" on it and opening it to find...???
Thanks for the tips on hunting for vintage razors. I live in the suburbs of Washington, DC and occasionally stop at thrift and antique shops in my area to look for vintage razors. Unfortunately, I've never found a vintage razor. I probably need to extend my search to the county north of mine which seems to have more thrift and antique shops.

Thanks for the tips on hunting for vintage razors. I live in the suburbs of Washington, DC and occasionally stop at thrift and antique shops in my area to look for vintage razors. Unfortunately, I've never found a vintage razor. I probably need to extend my search to the county north of mine which seems to have more thrift and antique shops.

I retired to a rural area of Michigan, with antique shops in nearly every small city/town nearby. When I first started looking, I found many old Gillette razors, and bought many for $10 or less. Once those were gone, the pickings were slim, but some occasionally still appear.

Then there are those that are incredibly overpriced. We went to a huge antique store in Saginaw MI. On second floor was a display case filled with vintage shaving stuff, lots of very cool stuff. I noticed a boxed Fatboy and got excited when I thought the price was $29.99, but realized it was $299. Probably worth it to someone, especially if it was NOS, but I had just recently found one in like-new condition for 75 bucks.

My best recent luck was when a shop I go to frequently had a show, with lots of new vendors set up under canopies in the parking lot. I found one vendor selling a pair of razors - an Old Type and a New long comb (as I recall) - for two bucks. I also found two full bottles of Old Spice, one was boxed with a bottle of pre-electric shave for $10 and the other was in a "telescope" bottle for $2.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, I just feel I've been very lucky, and have had a lot of fun looking and yes, I think location has a lot to do with success.

Try facebook marketplace

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
No my question is why people spend 2 or 3 hundred dollars on one of a hundred different razor brands on a razor they don't even know will work for them and do it over until they find one thats right.
Spending two or three hundred dollars on a razor may sound unreasonable at first, but it's a lot cheaper than cars, guns, guitars, watches, antique china... other more common hobbies.
Razors also take up far less space and follow-up costs than cars, guns...

If you don't like the shaving efficiency of a certain boutique razor, you can sell it for almost the same price without losing much.
Cars, by contrast, lose half their price from the first day they're driven.

Spending two or three hundred dollars on a razor may sound unreasonable at first, but it's a lot cheaper than cars, guns, guitars, watches, antique china... other more common hobbies.
Razors also take up far less space and follow-up costs than cars, guns...

If you don't like the shaving efficiency of a certain boutique razor, you can sell it for almost the same price without losing much.
Cars, by contrast, lose half their price from the first day they're driven.
Very true. Except, no matter how hard I work on it, I can't seem to get any music out of my razor.

I've been wet shaving for quite a while but haven't been on here until the past few weeks after not
keeping up for a number of years. What is going on now? Seems like everybody and his brother are
making double edge razors acting like it's something new now and hundreds if not thousands of shave soap makers. I see a lot of
new people spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on the latest and greatest razors and creams
being disappointed in their shaves not realizing an old $15 used Gillette will give them just as good a shave
if they learn how to use it
Collecting hundreds of razors, as some people do, won't improve your shave. All it will do is drain your bank account. Before you buy yet another razor, ask yourself if you have saved enough to put your kids through college and have saved enough to fund your retirement. A whole bunch of people have dropped $5-10K on shaving gear when they have no business doing so. Two razors will be the total number that I will collect in my lifetime. I have two high-quality soaps (Lothur and Barrister and Mann) and one synthetic brush. Through in a marble lathering bowl, and I am all set. Quit chasing the latest and greatest razor. Find the razor that works for you and stop there.

Collecting hundreds of razors, as some people do, won't improve your shave. All it will do is drain your bank account. Before you buy yet another razor, ask yourself if you have saved enough to put your kids through college and have saved enough to fund your retirement. A whole bunch of people have dropped $5-10K on shaving gear when they have no business doing so. Two razors will be the total number that I will collect in my lifetime. I have two high-quality soaps (Lothur and Barrister and Mann) and one synthetic brush. Through in a marble lathering bowl, and I am all set. Quit chasing the latest and greatest razor. Find the razor that works for you and stop there.
I believe a lot of new people look for the latest and greatest razor before they really know how to use what they have. It’s not hard to learn to Shane with one, not so easy to learn to get a quality close shave

You can find a relatively affordable vintage Gillettes with full plating that will last for years. Yes the plating can wear off but it will only corrode if you just let it sit there. A lot of the new boutique razors are made of brass with no plating. It would be very easy to spend a thousand dollars on the new boutique razors until you find one that suits your face. These 2 razors are over 80 years old and I paid 50 bucks each for them. They would be hard to tell from new.View attachment 1597951View attachment 1597952

This is something awesome. I mean literally in this case: Old is Gold

Top Bottom