What's new

What is generally slicker, soaps, croaps, or creams?

Which of these is generally slicker? I've only used soaps so far, but i feel tempted to buy TOBS sandlewood cream. Not sure about buying a cream though.

It all depends on the soap, the cream, and whether you have added the right amount of water to properly hydrate the lather. A properly hydrated lather will have the optimal slickness for a given soap or cream. In my experience, there are a number of soaps that have greater primary and residual slickness than TOBS. However, there are some creams that have outstanding slickness.

The best reason to try TOBS sandalwood is the scent; many people love the scent. The performance is decent, but not great. So whether it is an improvement on the soaps you are currently using depends upon those soaps.

IME, soaps are slicker than creams. TOBS creams are great products, though. I believe I have five different scents. I also have a puck of TOBS soap, but I find the cream superior.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Which of these is generally slicker? I've only used soaps so far, but i feel tempted to buy TOBS sandlewood cream. Not sure about buying a cream though.
Buy the TOBS sandal wood Croap in the white 5 oz tub. Slickness is OK and scent like others have mentioned is just ..... great.

In my experience, when dialed in properly, soaps, creams and croaps offer equal slickness. Soaps are a bit more trouble to make lather with, but they tend to last much longer than creams.

My experience tells me they are about the same if used in proper per portions water to product. But because one my be slicker than another ,does not make it a better shaving product. You of course need lubrication , but only enough to prevent irritation. Other factors are also to be considered , such as scent , skin conditioners , ease of razor rinsing and face washing.

In my experience, when dialed in properly, soaps, creams and croaps offer equal slickness. Soaps are a bit more trouble to make lather with, but they tend to last much longer than creams.

+1! In general, ‘tallow’ is great to see as the first or second ingreedient. :a14::a14::a14:

In contrast, olive oil is a lather killer. :a19::a19:

Just my $0.02!

I've found that just about all soaps, croaps and creams can all be equally slick, if lathered properly. Some are better than others, but that's more a question of product quality and the tastes of the user, rather than whether they're a soap or cream. There are a very few I can't get to work at all, but that's probably my fault. YMMV indeed.

I agree that they can all be equally slick. My best personal experiences of shaving slickness have been with tallow-based croaps.

If you are looking for sheer “slickness”, give this a try.
561915E4-306F-4AC5-B0A8-56D1513E0A49.jpeg

Just so you will know, Cremo does not lather. You simply smear it on your face and use it as is. I’m not saying that it’s the best all around product out there. But it is as slick as it gets. It’s right on par with WD40 for slickness.
I like to mix it with a good soap to make a super lather. For this purpose it’s about as good as it gets.

I've only used soaps so far, but i feel tempted to buy TOBS sandlewood cream.
TOOBS sandalwood cream is what won me over from can goo. The scent is spectacular and it’s a good all around cream. I always keep a tub on hand.
01AB83F1-C741-47E5-A149-DDB3DA116F21.jpeg

Also it’s very easy to lather. Give it a try my friend. Nothing wrong with having both cream and soap on hand.

I've found that just about all soaps, croaps and creams can all be equally slick, if lathered properly. Some are better than others, but that's more a question of product quality and the tastes of the user, rather than whether they're a soap or cream. There are a very few I can't get to work at all, but that's probably my fault. YMMV indeed.

That is also my experience.

Which of these is generally slicker?

Yes !!!

That would be the only "correct" answer. :D :D

It's impossible to tell, there are both, slick soaps and incredibly slick creams and in my experience one is not "better" than other in that regard, just because it's a soap, or a cream.

That said, I find that a lot of people get caught in "this soap/cream rocks, it's so incredibly slick" and sometimes disregard other things that make a cream or a soap great. Things like protection, ingredients used, longevity, how fast it dries, after shave feel or even secondary slickness are often ignored due to that initial "whoa, this thing really glides smooth under my razor".

Just my $0.02 on the topic, for what it's worth .

I haven't noticed any general relation between slickness and soap type. I tend to like the lather consistency of croaps, but Captains Choice Lime Soap is easily the slickest thing I've tried among some of the most highly regarded makers out there.

Unless it’s s product like Cremo which is crazy slick, I also found soaps generally slicker than creams. The one major exception for me would be maca root. Others may feel differently though. Just have to experiment and make own conclusions!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I’ll agree with others that TOBS is not the slickest, but it is really good and certainly worth a try. I also find tallow soaps, in general, to be slicker. However, you can dial in more slickness in most products by adding more water and/or a drop or two of glycerin. Stirling is excellent in the slickness dept. The slickest soap I ever used, believe it or not, was modern Williams. It takes a lot of work and patience to dial in the lather just so, but when you get it right, it is super slick.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
We all have our favourites, whether they be creams, soaps or croaps. As to the slickest I suppose it depends on the water ratio used. I personally find tallow based soaps excellent and the Nivea creams excellent for slickness. I must admit though that I have not tried as many soaps, creams and croaps that many other members have tried or have in their shave dens.

Any cream applied BRUSHLESS (it forms a slick "paste" on your skin this way) will be way slicker than a soap applied with a brush.You will not get "lather" of course but who needs lather for shaving?Slickness and lubrication is what you REALLY need.

Top Bottom