What's new

What is better than Cella?

If you're talking Italian soft soaps, then RazoRock's new Linea Artigiana soaps and Vitos Extra Super All'Olio di Cocco stomp all over Cella, and P.160 for that matter. They are slicker, and provide better cushion than both Cella and P.160. The Vitos smells closer to Cella. These two "soaps" will kill SSAD quickly.

On the flip side, if we're discussing hard soaps, then as previously mentioned, you have MWF, AoS (or Valobra Sapone per Barba), and D.R. Harris.

I'm in need of a new soap, and after reading the Cella thread where there was shown some discontent, I was wondering what do you feel is better than Cella, and for those that do rank Cella high, is there anything you like better?
You'll always find fans and detractors for any soap out there. Don't rely solely on forum posts. If you haven't tried Cella then give it a shot and see for yourself. Consensus and what's best for you aren't necessarily the same thing.

Personally, I prefer DRH and AOS over Cella but that's a highly YMMV thing.

Sure but not if the number of suggestions approaches the total number of available products... :wink2: Also, because of that personal preference element, you may not like some of the suggestions once you try them.... I must say that some of the suggestions have been pretty good though, have fun.

Al raz.

Perfect, many responses is exactly what I was looking for.

I like the Valobra Almond Soft soap myself...Better scent and better lather with my water conditions.

If you're talking Italian soft soaps, then RazoRock's new Linea Artigiana soaps and Vitos Extra Super All'Olio di Cocco stomp all over Cella, and P.160 for that matter. They are slicker, and provide better cushion than both Cella and P.160. The Vitos smells closer to Cella. These two "soaps" will kill SSAD quickly.

On the flip side, if we're discussing hard soaps, then as previously mentioned, you have MWF, AoS (or Valobra Sapone per Barba), and D.R. Harris.

FYI, most of the RR Artisan series basically IS Cella in different scents....

FYI, most of the RR Artisan series basically IS Cella in different scents....

Are you sure about that? From my understanding they are made by a different artisan. I have both, and they do not seem the same to me, scent aside.

Joe won't disclose who makes the soap. I'm pretty sure part of his "contract" with the maker prevents it.

Yeah, I tried getting it out of him also. No luck on that front.

What caused me to hold out on trying the RR soaps for so long was the belief that they were nothing more than scented Cella, which I have found to be untrue. That's why I'm arguing that they are not.

What caused me to hold out on trying the RR soaps for so long was the belief that they were nothing more than scented Cella, which I have found to be untrue. That's why I'm arguing that they are not.

I think all the italian soft soaps are FAIRLY similar (not identical, but similar). So for a very simple explanation I can understand why someone would say that. I haven't tired the Artisan soaps, except for XXX, which is fantastic btw. But the fact that one of them is a non-tallow leads me to believe the maker isn't the same as Cella, since I'm pretty sure they don't make any non-tallow soaps. It wouldn't make sense for them to create an entirely new formula for 1 scent of Joes line considering their total sales.

There are many soaps that have better scents than Cella, but IMO that doesn't make them better soaps. From a technical standpoint, lots of the softer tallow based soaps are very very close to Cella (AoS, P.160 etc) but don't beat it, scentwise. The harder tallow based soaps often have better scents and you can get a range of opinion on their performance.

Tallow = mutton/beef fat. Cella is tallow based, but not triple milled. Glycerine is melt and pour, yes.

Top Bottom