What's new

What is Argonate?

I see that Captain's Choice soap has Potassium Argonate, Sodium Argonate in their ingredient. I can't find any information about that. What is it? Does anybody know?

I just found out that sodium cocoate (another ingredient of that soap) can also be listed as coconut oil. So I will asume that the same applies to sodium argonate, even thought I can't find anything confirming this.

I would guess that they are the potassium and sodium salts derived from the saponification of argan oil.
Bingo!

I presume the choice to list the ingredient as an "argonate" is meant to clarify that the oil was part of the saponification NOT added as s superfat post saponification.

Bingo!

I presume the choice to list the ingredient as an "argonate" is meant to clarify that the oil was part of the saponification NOT added as s superfat post saponification.

Does it add any benefit if you do it during and not after the saponification? Or it really doesn't matter?

Does it add any benefit if you do it during and not after the saponification? Or it really doesn't matter?
Each oil/fat/wax that is part of the saponification process adds a little something different to the characteristics of the finished soap. Adding a specific fat (usually or typically a "Butter") after the saponification or late in the process is usually done to improve face feel more than to improve the lather. I think some Butters might also improve slickness.

What ever the case, Captains Choice soap is pretty great stuff. It's got a thick,dense lather that provides great slickness and incredible residual slickness.

Each oil/fat/wax that is part of the saponification process adds a little something different to the characteristics of the finished soap. Adding a specific fat (usually or typically a "Butter") after the saponification or late in the process is usually done to improve face feel more than to improve the lather. I think some Butters might also improve slickness.

What ever the case, Captains Choice soap is pretty great stuff. It's got a thick,dense lather that provides great slickness and incredible residual slickness.

Great thanks!
I got the aftershave and balm samples from Captain's Choice and I'm in the process of picking one or two scents with my wife and I was planning to buy the matching soap also when I'm done with the samples. I have TOBS cream that gives me a thick lather and Mitchell's Wool Fat that is not that thick but rather slick with as good of a stickiness and consistency as TOBS. I was researching about the CC soap to see the difference with what I had and that ingredient got my attention.
I most likely get the sandalwood one, my DW likes it the most

Top Bottom