What's new

What is and isn't a Gillette "Clone"

I have heard the mention of "Gillette clones" quite a bit recently. In most cases the term is not used correctly. Over the years there have been hundreds of double edge razors manufactured. There are only so many different ways to make a three piece that works with standard blades. You can use either an open comb or safety bar design on the guard or a combination of the two with one on each side. The blade positioning design of the cap can either incorporate pegs, bars or both. These basic design components can be found on any double edge razor that can accept the standard blade.

I often hear mention of any razor with an open comb and pegs as being an Old Type or New Improved clone. The same applies to any degree of bar design with an open comb being referred to as a Gillette NEW clone. In addition, any razor with a closed safety bar design, whether sporting pegs, bars or both, often seems to be pegged as a Tech clone. The latter occurs frequently with the Chinese made Flying Eagles which are a peg positioning safety bar design. The vast majority of these razors really shouldn't be called Gillette clones as they do not incorporate the specific properties of the original's patents. They were different enough from the original Gillette patents that they stood, or fell, on there own merits.

True Gillette clones are manufactured as very close replicas based upon Gillette's expired patents. Gillette never renewed any of their razor patents allowing each to expire after the initial 25 year run. Therefore, many European manufacturers would crank out the expired design 25 years after the originals appearance. This is why the 30's and 40's had so many true Old Type clones. The Old Type being the most basic design was the cheapest to replicate. The second most replicated Gillette was likely the Tech starting in the 1960's, but since the original was still in production not as much of a market was there.

In addition, a similar, or even an identical, handle does not qualify as a clone as the handles were not really integral to the original Gillette patents. It was the head design which truly identifies a Gillette's characteristics. Therefore, a non-Gillette manufactured with a Gillette design head sporting a unique handle would still qualify as a Gillette clone, at least in my opinion.

I can understand a reference to a Gillette when describing another brand given the fact that the Gillettes were, and still are, the standard by which to grade the double edge razor. But, be careful when describing a razor as a clone, as it doesn't truly give credit to the non-Gillette design and can also denigrate the reputation of the superior original.

Last edited:
I get you, but gillette invented the original DE disposible blade right? With the three holes I mean, and then the bar across the blade, then the "diamond, or squares on their edge" on the outer blade. Then the grooves on the edges, so the blade had a notch out of each corner. Then the first TTOs, which didn't have a flat middle bar that was notched to grip the razor out of the dispensor, but had wings on the end so blades have the outer perpendiculur slots cut out too.
In fact the only thing on a modern DE blade that gillette didn't cause to be there was the inner perpendicular slots. That was a different competing company and gillette bought them out I believe.

I understand what you mean AG, but most companies did copy gillette and they were trying to sell blades, so they have to copy gillette to copy their blades. As mentioned before, I think there was only one other company that was innovative, and gillette bought them out due to a lawsuit over a patent (ABC?). The othes didn't make patents for DE, just copied them.

Not to say that none of those companies didn't do a better job than the gillette they copied, gillette isn't the be all and end all.
But I get what you're saying. Gillette won the blade wars and are the strongest company still standing. That doesn't mean that every razor made by gillette was the best at the time, and doesn't mean that every DE is a gillette or gillette clone.

Last edited:
I get you, but gillette invented the original DE disposible blade right? With the three holes I mean, and then the bar across the blade, then the "diamond, or squares on their edge" on the outer blade. Then the grooves on the edges, so the blade had a notch out of each corner. Then the first TTOs, which didn't have a flat middle bar that was notched to grip the razor out of the dispensor, but had wings on the end so blades have the outer perpendiculur slots cut out too.
In fact the only thing on a modern DE blade that gillette didn't cause to be there was the inner perpendicular slots. That was a different competing company and gillette bought them out I believe.

I understand what you mean AG, but most companies did copy gillette and they were trying to sell blades, so they have to copy gillette to copy their blades. As mentioned before, I think there was only one other company that was innovative, and gillette bought them out due to a lawsuit over a patent (ABC?). The othes didn't make patents for DE, just copied them.

Not to say that none of those companies didn't do a better job than the gillette they copied, gillette isn't the be all and end all.
But I get what you're saying. Gillette won the blade wars and are the strongest company still standing. That doesn't mean that every razor made by gillette was the best at the time, and doesn't mean that every DE is a gillette or gillette clone.

ABC (American Button Company) was a subcontractor for Gillette and produced the early Pocket Editions. You are probably thinking of Probak, a division of Autostrop, which Gillette acquired in October of 1930.

As I mentioned, the vast majority of razors were not Gillette clones. They were, of course, manufactured with some basic requirements that allowed them to use blades patterned after Gillette's blade designs, but all the razors themselves, other than true clones, had their own unique characteristics, be them better or worse than the similar Gillettes.

And I agree, there were some very outstanding designs that definitely challenged the quality of the vintage Gillettes.

Probak is, of course, also the reason that Gillette kept changing the blade securing mechanisms - the various designs were not necessarily innovations, just an attempt to keep Gillette blades proprietary to their razors. I assume that by the time Gillette acquired Probak the DE blade was already standardized to the form we know today.

yep, you're correct it was probak.
Most were manufactured to suit the blades available at the time, ie gillette blades, and that some were still great razors, if that was your point I agree.

Here are two razors which I believe qualify as Gillette clones. The first, which bears no markings, is a copy of the single ring. Externally, the only differences I see are the teeth are a little longer than a true single ring and the smooth parts of the handle are a little smaller. The parts inside the handle are different lengths than Gillette used. I thought it was a single ring when I first saw it.

proxy.php

The second is a Speedway, manufactured by International Safety Razor in the 1930s. If you lay the head parts side by side with those from a ball handled old style, they appear identical. The bottom plate appears to be cast, rather than machined, though. ISR even went to the trouble of using a hollow handle, which cracks just like Gillette's.

proxy.php

-Clarke

Yup! Now those qualify as clones. The dating puts them right in the wheelhouse of the time period just after Gillette's Old Type patent expired.

So would it be incorrect to call a "Feather Portable", and a "Lord Tech" Gillette Tech clones?

The "Feather Portable" looks very much like, and shaves very much like a Tech. Aesthetically, the handle is a little shorter, and not a perfect match to the Ball End handle of a true Tech.

Guilty as charged (I think), Guido. Thanks for insisting that we use greater precision in our descriptions!

Guilty as charged (I think), Guido. Thanks for insisting that we use greater precision in our descriptions!

No guilt implied. I was just pointing out, in general, the specificity of design. The subtle differences in razor designs are still just that ... differences in design. Similarities may appear, but short of a true "clone" they can be quite different in shavability regardless of appearance.

Top Bottom