What's new

What Is A Good SE Razor Brand To Start SE Shaving?

Hello Gents!

Well, you provided an encyclopedia of SE info and recommendations above. Greatly appreciated.

At the moment I am closing in on two types, both of which seem affordable. Both GEM. The 1912 and the Flying Wing. I have seen two of the latter on sale at a good price here in the UK, and several 1912's. They are the short stubble handled ones. The Flying Wings look beautiful. They from 47-48 I believe.

What blades do they take? Is there a GEM/Personna blade that is currently made? Would these fit Ever Ready razors?

I have also seen an Ever Ready 'Popular' cased, for £14. There are 3 available.

Thanks everybody, as always.
The 1912 and the flying wing both take the Gem Personna blade. The Ever Ready razor also takes the Gem Personna blade. I get great shaves out of the 1912s and the flying wing and also enjoyed the Ever Ready while I had it.

Well I bought an Ever Ready English made example just now.

It was from the bay, looks very clean. It comes in a bakelite box, and is a 2 piece with a detachable handle.

Vey nice ornately decorated handle. Both head and handle look very presentable.

I think it is called the 'Popular' It seems to be 1936 or later, but definitely within the late 30's frame I would say.

Great value, however I have to break it to Mrs. Ladd. I expect pushback.

I will post pics when it's delivered.

I have arrived at SE shaving. I may need help, Gents.

Last edited:
Well I bought an Ever Ready English made example just now.

It was from the bay, looks very clean. It comes in a bakelite box, and is a 2 piece with a detachable handle.

Vey nice ornately decorated handle. Both head and handle look very presentable.

I think it is called the 'Popular' It seems to be 1936 or later, but definitely within the late 30's frame I would say.

Great value, however I have to break it to Mrs. Ladd. I expect pushback.

I will post pics when it's delivered.

I have arrived at SE shaving. I may need help, Gents.
Sounds like a 1912, the razor I’ve long declared as the best design of all time. Of course that and and two dollars will get you a two dollar cup of coffee. Just make sure both blade stops are still there and that it snaps closed tightly and the spring is still strong enough to hold the blade securely in place. Nice razor, enjoy SE shaving!

Sounds like a 1912, the razor I’ve long declared as the best design of all time. Of course that and and two dollars will get you a two dollar cup of coffee. Just make sure both blade stops are still there and that it snaps closed tightly and the spring is still strong enough to hold the blade securely in place. Nice razor, enjoy SE shaving!
Both the end lugs seem to be clearly shown and present. It is well photographed. It does not appear to have been abused in any way, and looks a clean example. Plating looks very good. Chrome/silver. A chunky, ornate patterned handle. The handle screws off. In the blade bay interior it says 'Ever-Ready British Made'. On the top plate 'Made In England' The head handle screw area has 'PTD 1912' stamped around it.

I assume it is 1936 or later because that is when the London factory was opened. It has an Ever Ready brown bakelite box with it but unsure if it was added later. I think it's a 'Popular'. It should clean up good.

It has a 14 day refund window, so that inspires confidence that it's a runner. No returns are suspicious.

£10.20 with postage, or 13.45 USD. Excellent.

I need to think about blades. Looking forward to using it.

Thanks as always Gentlemen for your advice and guidance. Appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds like it’s good to go! As far as blades there really isn’t much to think about. Personally, I prefer the carbon steel Blue Star or Treet blades but I’m in the minority as most guys prefer the stainless steel blades. Connaught is a great company to deal with.

Both the end lugs seem to be clearly shown and present. It is well photographed. It does not appear to have been abused in any way, and looks a clean example. Plating looks very good. Chrome/silver. A chunky, ornate patterned handle. The handle screws off. In the blade bay interior it says 'Ever-Ready British Made'. On the top plate 'Made In England' The head handle screw area has 'PTD 1912' stamped around it.

I assume it is 1936 or later because that is when the London factory was opened. It has an Ever Ready brown bakelite box with it but unsure if it was added later. I think it's a 'Popular'. It should clean up good.

It has a 14 day refund window, so that inspires confidence that it's a runner. No returns are suspicious.

£10.20 with postage, or 13.45 USD. Excellent.

I need to think about blades. Looking forward to using it.

Thanks as always Gentlemen for your advice and guidance. Appreciated.
Clearly an ER 1912 model, which were made as late as 1951. These came in clear plastic cases.They had aluminium handles round or hexagonal, being called Bathroom or Peerless sets respectively. These IMHO are the best 1912, as the head was designed to take the latest blades.
10 blade pack from Connaughts is inexpensive.

Regarding GEM razors - I started with the Ever Ready 1912 (UK). It provided good shaves but not great. I have since moved the to the GEM Micromatic Open Comb. It was a tough razor to learn, but it was absolutely worth it in the long run. It delivers a better shave than any razor I have ever used (I've tried a couple of dozen).

They seem to be a little more scarce than other GEM razors here in the UK, but they are worth it. Mine is brass with the bumps.

Oh and buy the Personna PTFE GEM blades... They are excellent. I do strop a new blade 10 times, each side, on the heel of my hand before first use. They can be a little harsh for the first couple, but they are the best blade I've used. No exceptions.

Just an update, the ER came today, and It completely surpassed my expectations.

It is a New Improved ER 1912, I would date it in the wide ballpark of 1936-49, as it seems from about 1950 on, a newer case, of clamshell shape, with a transparent top and coloured bottom, began to go on sale. It has the chain link patterned handle.
IMG_20220402_214538755.jpg
IMG_20220402_214736586.jpg

All photos completely fail to do the razor full justice. It is an almost perfect example. Some, what I thought was plate loss was visible from photos from the seller (an excellent antique store in the north of England, who sent the ER beautifully packaged) but hot water, some washing up liquid and a toothbrush and a few minutes of cleaning, revealed it to be just ancient soap residue.
IMG_20220402_215241527.jpg
The head is in almost perfect condition. It seems chromed, with the tiny blade retention hooks in perfect order and the blade compartment spring strong and crisp in action. It makes a very audible click.
IMG_20220402_215452843.jpg
The inner blade chamber is perfectly clean (hand modelling courtesy of Mrs Ladd) There appears to be a tiny spot of discolouration in the top right hand corner.
IMG_20220402_215113247.jpg
Impressively clean, with 100% original plating present on both head and handle.IMG_20220402_215203282.jpg
IMG_20220402_215720018.jpg

To sum up, for £10.20 including postage, this is an impressive example of a razor I'm already loving, and I haven't even shaved with it yet. It has presence.

Really happy to have perhaps the classic SE razor model in my little collection. And the first example with it's original case.

I screwed up the timing of ordering blades, but 10 Personna Gem SS should be here by Wednesday. I would have loved to have tried the Treet SS in the blue boxes, but I hear they are unavailable. I would like to source some CS blades also.

I will be shaving with it by the end of the week, and shall report on my first SE shave. I have read that the English Improved ER 1912's are more aggressive than the US equivalent. Having no baseline, I will just report what results I get.

Once again, thanks to all for your excellent and good humoured help and advice!

Last edited:
There's a good video on YouTube by Mr. Guy on how to shave with an open-comb Micromatic, and even though these 1912s aren't as aggressive as the open comb Micromatics, his how-to description is good for new SE shavers IMHO. Enjoy! Then you'll be ready to start looking for a lather-catcher :c2:

Top Bottom