What's new

What is a good long handled shave brush?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
As a matter of fact, I make quite a bit of longer handled brushes, the so-called Barber style.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Maybe this isn't what you're talking about but maybe it is...

11-5-19.Torrey.DB.Horse.Kit.640.JPGZenith Soft Horse. Vendor photo.480.jpg9-18-19.ERN.M&M.Horse.Kit.640.JPG

That's a Zenith and one of my very favorite handles (I also like the extra soft horse knot a lot).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have this:

1573932736911.png

A good long handle brush. Actually, a very good long handle brush. Omega 10098. Best value, plastic handle, metal ring, not floppy (good backbone but soft tips after broken in), perfect loft/knot. In my uneducated opinion. Readily available just about everywhere.

I also find the longer handles to be really great. They feel good in the hand and are easier to manipulate, especially for an aging Boomer like myself. I have two. They are both replicas of the great Gillette 400 handle. One is a RazoRock 400 and the other is a Alpha T-400. The RR is butterscotch colored acrylic or plastic with a noir synthetic knot and the Alpha has an Envy Shave Luxury Silvertip badger. Two of my favorite brushes in my 16 brush collection. I'd also love to find a vintage Gillette 400 that I can stick a boar brush in and I'll have covered all three basses. While I don't have a Rudy Vey brush, yet, I love some of his work. His "barber style" brushes are nice. But I'm a much bigger fan of his faux ivory Persian Jar style handles. One of these days I'll be reaching out to him to talk about one of those. There are lots of options for longer handles so just see what the auction sites have and visit the websites of brush makers like Rudy and others to see what they are showing. After a bit of research you'll find a few that you "just have to have."

Check out Craving Shaving and Wild West Brushworks. They make beautiful long handled brushes that are very ergonomic. Also, Rudy Vey does great custom brushes so you can ask him to customize you one.

That omega 98 brush has a cheap feeling plastic handle, but it is ergonomic and comfortable. I've shaved with it 20-30 times and it is still not soft. Looks like it will be a bear to break in.

I like craving shaving as well.

Also check out the Maseto brushes with the Memphis handle. I have both the Silvertip and finest badger in that handle.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Ive owned a few of the Razorock 400s and theyre very nice brushes. Ive been wanting to try the Omega barber brush but havent pulled the trigger on it yet.

enjoy my longer handled brushes!
several are re-knotted vintage barber-style brushes.
a few are modern styles, simpsons, morris forndran, vulfix re-branded.
in any case, long handles help with loading creams or soaps in deep mugs.

long handled brushes.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Just bought this 26 mm Yaqi Rainbow brush and it is one of their largest. It could be discontinued now?
Strange that this is not my photo but I bought all three at the last great sale they had recently!!:thumbsup:
1574115368811.png

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Some great options above!!

You might also check out some of Simpsons options, for example their Polo series.

Just bought this 26 mm Yaqi Rainbow brush and it is one of their largest. It could be discontinued now?
Strange that this is not my photo but I bought all three at the last great sale they had recently!!:thumbsup:
View attachment 1036252
Have some great shaves!
I also bought the two brushes on the left. Hope they arrive over the next couple of days.

Top Bottom