What's new

What is a "flattening" stone?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A while ago I purchased three Chinese synthetic whetstones (400, 1k and 6k) for bevel setting. They came with what they called a "flattening" stone. This little rock is about 60mm x 22mm x 28mm, white in colour and relatively soft compared to the 177mm x 59mm x 15mm whetstones that it came with.

What is the purpose of this "flattening" stone?

IMG_20200913_063004.jpg

So it’s not really meant for flattening but rather clearing the stone of metal particulate periodically. You know if you’ve just lapped the stone with a plate and only honed up one or two blades you can use the small stone you have rather than taking the lapping plate back to it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
So it’s not really meant for flattening but rather clearing the stone of metal particulate periodically. You know if you’ve just lapped the stone with a plate and only honed up one or two blades you can use the small stone you have rather than taking the lapping plate back to it.
So a better name for it would be a cleaning or clearing stone?

Removing metal particulate indeed. “Dressing stone” or just “nagura” I think the term is, but it’s all the same I guess.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you to all who enlightened me. With the name Nagura I was able to research its proper use. I do not think that I will be needing it on my bevel-setting whetstones. It might be interesting to play with when knife sharpening.

Thank you to all who enlightened me. With the name Nagura I was able to research its proper use. I do not think that I will be needing it on my bevel-setting whetstones. It might be interesting to play with when knife sharpening.

what do you use to clear your bevel set stone after some heavy work????? I use wet dry. id use that in a heartbeat since ya got it.

my 1.5k gets pretty dirty even with razors that don't require a bunch of work.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
what do you use to clear your bevel set stone after some heavy work????? I use wet dry. id use that in a heartbeat since ya got it.

my 1.5k gets pretty dirty even with razors that don't require a bunch of work.

camo
Like you, I use W&D. I prefer that as it helps in keeping my whetstones flat. I don't think a Nagura would be as good in that respect.

Nagura are actually commonly used for keeping stones flat. One interpretation of the word Nagura is 'correction stone'.
It is common practice to use nagura for 'flattening the ends of stones that get over-worked in the middle. The term flat here is not like when I say my stone is dead flat.
More like - flat enough for government work or at least the task at hand. The idea is to wear the ends enough to sorta match the center. Using them to clear swarf and resurface the stone is also part of the deal. Chosera stones used to come with a 600x Nagura - was good for flattening as well as dressing and cleaning. I think they sell them separately now.

Top Bottom