What's new

What ingredient do you dread seeing in a shave product's ingredients list?

Any blood thinners, and more specifically “fragrance” because of the blood thinners they contain.
I don't understand why this is a problem since the product is being applied to the skin? Ingesting coumarin in food would be a different thing. Many natural foods such as cassia cinnamon contain coumarin and that could cause problems if you ate enough of it.

Not exactly an ingredient but a scent I avoid.... Anything with smoke. I hate the smell of smoke. Especially on my face. I have one scent with just a hint of smoke in it that I use every blue moon. I enjoy the shave but cover it up with an aftershave afterwords. I call that progress.

That is unfortunate. I am drawn towards lanolin and all sorts of butter as it makes the lather creamy and slick.

Lanolin seems to cause the crazy "tree hair" phenomena when I use it. I love MWF despite the fact it's kind of a pain to load, but these thick hairs wreck all sorts of havoc so I stopped using it. LEA Sensitive caused the same issue and also contains Lanolin so the probability is high the Lanolin is causing this issue.

My skin tends to be oily, and the butters just make it worse. I'm too old at 43 to be popping zits! Yes, they are super slick but so is Tabac, which doesn't bother me at all and is slippery as all get out!

Lanolin is a no-no for me.
Also some "superfatted" soaps as they tend to go rancid over time, developing an unpleasant smell.

Plus, SLS and similar just don't make the right kind of lather for a shave. The point of SLS is to make a big, airy, foamy lather, and that's just about the opposite of the thick, slick, cushiony lather a good shave soap aims for. I haven't seen many shave soaps or creams with SLS, but when I do I just wonder what the point of including it was.
SLS is a detergent that prevents soap scum from sticking to the sink.

Almond oil. I'm allergic to tree nuts. Yes, I know, it's highly refined and probably doesn't have any protein residuals, but why take the risk?

For me, Parabens (ethylparaben, methylparaben, etc). Can be carcinogenic. I bought two tubes of Vifrex aftershave gel from Connaught a while ago but rarely use them due to this reason. Don't know what role they play in the mixture. Once in a blue moon I'll use some Vifrex after a shave and that's it.
I also don't like eucalyptus and camphor. Hate the smell.

I suspect that that Lanolin does not agree with my skin too, given the outbreaks I'm having. I was committing to use MWF for the month of April but I may have to change course and use Tabac instead to see if this outbreak subsides.

Eucalyptus, my face doesn't like it. I always get a nasty big bump from it, has only happened after using Proraso eucalyptus shaving cream. Has never happened with Proraso Blue or anything else.

Top Bottom