What's new

What if... Prohibition was reinstated?

Man the way they keep jacking up taxes on booze here with the same stupid claim that it is to "promote social responsibility" each time, I just might have to start brewing my own.

It blows my mind when I visit the US and you can get a 24 case of beer for like 14.99 and the same thing here in Canada is almost $40.

Just about every single product in the US is cheaper, you could earn 60% of what someone earns north of the border and still buy all the same things pretty much.

Considering that Prohibition in the United States was pretty much a failure, having brought about a host of criminal activities, I doubt that it will be tried again.

V

VR6ofpain

When I used to go to sea, we used to make some ok wine with frozen grape juice, and bakers yeast
I remember making alcohol in chemistry while in college. We used bakers yeast and Welch's grape juice. After it fermented it smell vaguely of wine. We distilled it till we obtained alcohol. I believe mine measured in at about 35-40% alcohol. Someone in the lab did a real good job coming up with something like 45% alcohol. No one drank theirs though...the lab equipment wasn't something you would want to consume things from. Memories of college.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
When I used to go to sea, we used to make some ok wine with frozen grape juice, and bakers yeast

I did that a few years ago to cut the cost of cooking wine... I know, it's already cheap to make the wine, I think I had a cost of $2 per bottle which include the corks, wine, sugar, yeast. I was able to do a $0.40~$0.50 bottle table wine out of welch and baker's yeast.

It wasn't great to drink, it was all right, to cook, perfect! I gave a few bottles away and I had some comments back saying they would buy it off me because they liked the stuff :lol:

Don't forget that the wages are much higher here in Norway. On average about $55.000 a year.
Sure. But for a student without a parttime job it's just not fair.

Got about 13000$ a year in scholarship/student loans. Half of which disappears in rent. 550$ a month for a 15 square meter flat. It's just mean. (And by local standards it's cheap...)

High cost + high wages hits hard for the unemployed and the students. It's not all that bad for students though, college is cheap. 120$ a year even at the best colleges, yay for state subsidiation.

What really bites is a beer in any bar. 9$ for a 0.5l glass is pretty common. Heck, taxation is so high that there's not much of a price difference between imports and local breweries.

Last edited:
My particular field pays about the same here as it does in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Here, I live pretty comfortably. There, I would be homeless.

I remember making alcohol in chemistry while in college. We used bakers yeast and Welch's grape juice. After it fermented it smell vaguely of wine. We distilled it till we obtained alcohol. I believe mine measured in at about 35-40% alcohol. Someone in the lab did a real good job coming up with something like 45% alcohol. No one drank theirs though...the lab equipment wasn't something you would want to consume things from. Memories of college.

In college, my chem class was learning about distilation.
In the hood, they had a beaker of motor oil being distilled into gasoline.

The students got "corbet canyon" wine to distill.
Crappy wine, pretty decent brandy. :lol:

Yes, I tried it.
No, it was definitely not smart of me to do so.

I am still in my quest to find a cheap, effective stovetop still, to convert the cheapest of wines, into brandy.

You could get one like this
QUOTE=Fnord5;1301811]
I am still in my quest to find a cheap, effective stovetop still, to convert the cheapest of wines, into brandy.[/QUOTE]

That is WAY bigger than I would ever need.(and my liver just started shaking in fear)

Wine Enthusiast had a little glass one, that was no bigger than a gallon of milk, for distilling a glass at a time. I just can't find it now.:crying:

Considering that Prohibition in the United States was pretty much a failure, having brought about a host of criminal activities, I doubt that it will be tried again.

It was certainly that. But we didn't learn. The war on drugs is effectively the same thing, only with a different name and different target(s). Dare I say that it has been a bigger failure?

I would probably stick to wine and beer. You can pretty much brew anything that has sugar in it. How it would taste like is something else...

Home brew...... I have had it before.... Not going to say where I was at the time that i had to drink it, but it did the trick...... LOL.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, if Prohibition came back, ... since I drink but don't smoke ...

... I could enjoy a really nice bottle of wine or glass of scotch, and then post some smarmy :001_tt2::001_tt2: posts to antagonise my American friends here ... can't really do that with Cuban cigars, what with the whole "not smoking" thing and all.

Let me just state, first,

I'm all for home-brewing of any and all liquors.

I'm also for keeping it legal.

The question has been asked 'how could it ever come to that?' and I am going to postulate that if it did, it wouldn't be the same.

With the numbers of innocent people (like those four teenagers), I could see a limited-prohibition where no bar or restaurant (or any place one could go to) would be allowed to sell alcohol to reduce the large numbers of people who drive home intoxicated from such places.

I'm not saying it WILL happen, only that it could happen if we were to have any prohibition at all.

But, truthfully, with even my police friends calling for the legalization of pot to, honestly, every drug, as well as prostitution (the thinking that people should be allowed to do whatever they want with, and to, their own bodies - NOT because my friends wish to partake in it), I can't see a prohibition happening.

Top Bottom