What's new

What I have learned- If I was starting over what would I do differently?

I did read this long ago and it did help me from buying too much in the beginning. I had A Gillette President and a barbershop brush that was a gift in the 80's I then proceed to get some blades from Walgreen's (Crystals I think) and a puck of Williams.

I bought the following after lurking here for a month.

Razor : Merkur Model 38 HD Classic Barber Pole Safety Razor
Blades : Sample pack
Brush : Mühle Classic Black Silvertip
Soap : Tabac
Aftershave : Floid Amber

I still have and use all these items and am glad that I found B&B but I can see why some people, especially in the states just give up and quit. Most of my better supplies are ordered online and from overseas so I had no opportunity to check anything out before buying. I now know a bit more than I did before and can see why people use DE razors and Brushes and soaps & creams. The information about shaving found here is invaluable I know opinions differ and what works for me wont work for everyone else.

My to do different is don't think that whats on the shelf at your local drugstore is your only options as to what you can use to shave with. There are better supplies out there but sites like B&B will give you great information as to where to start.

Dont believe that your going to save money because most people become addicted to something shaving related. But what will happen is you will get a great smooth shave and probably enjoy yourself in the process.

I can't say that if I bought all of these things first I wouldn't have bought other things, but I find that these items are my favorite ones so far... I would have been much happier when I began if I bought these first instead of Parker razors and brushes.
Razor: merkur progress
brush: semogue boar 610
blades: gillette silver blue
soap: proraso green or tabac
i hope guys read this whole thread before they buy their first set

Another great thread.

My advice to myself two years ago would be:

- Set $75 aside and buy some good tools. It will save frustration early on and eliminate potential variables. I would recommend:

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 (or Muhle R89)
Brush: Semogue 830
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond (in the bowl)
Blades: Astra SP x 100
Aftershave: Thayer's Witch Hazel
Bowl: Walmart salsa dish

- Now that you have the tools, don't worry about them for six months. Just focus on technique. Map your beard, learn proper shave angle, learn about gradual beard reduction, light pressure, etc. Learn to make good lather, which should be easy with the cream.

- Don't go for BBS shaves right away. Your skin is too sensitive to do it daily anyway.

- Don't change too many variables. When you run out of soap or cream, move on to another one. Don't worry about trying everything out there. Pick a few well-regarded soaps or creams and use them start to finish.

- Don't start out with a sampler of blades. When you can get the same shave two weeks in a row, then you can start messing around with different blades.

- If you're going to get something, don't find the cheapest alternative. You get what you pay for most of the time. If you want a good badger brush, it's going to cost more than $25. If you want a good soap, it's not going to come from the drugstore.

- Try a shave stick. You'll learn about making lather.

razor - r41 muhr with ikon bulldog II handle
soap - palmolive shave stick
razor blade - gillette blue
brush - semogue boar 620
after shave - thayers witch hazel rose petal

Razor: Tech+AstraSP. With the grain only. If it isn't working, shim until it does. Because you can't take away blade exposure from some of the "ultimate" razor designs, while anchor-style heads and TTOs are pathways to attempted epilation. Comfort should be the learner's priority, and all techniques are accessible with this non-specialized design.

Lather: One synthetic brush, one Stirling soap. Because you don't need any other problems, starting out! (But extra credit if you can work from both dry brush and wet brush by the time you've finished learning to use the razor.)

Orderly Acquisitions: skin care first, one razor to suit your special hair reduction needs second. Soap third. Brush to suit the soap and your skin both, fourth. Somewhere there's a "social media strategy" that says the exact opposite. Not your problem.

I've only been wet shaving for a week. So glad that I read this thread, and thank you everyone for your input.

Well if I had to do it again, I would do it the same. I started before the internet and there was not a lot of people to ask about stuff. That was both a blessing and a detriment. It was a blessing because I did not know any of this stuff existed so I was perfectly content with my used gillete SS, some drug store soap a made rite boar brush and whatever blades they had at the local stores. It let me concentrate on learning how to shave well with a very basic kit without a lot of variables.
The internet was also a blessing as it opened my eyes to the wide world of shaving and how many wonderful products existed out there around the world. The detriment was that now that I seen it I thought I had to have some of that. Suddenly now my simple little Gillette SS and humble brush seemed inadequate to the task even though I had done it that way for 10 years, I thought that there was so much better stuff now.
I came a full circle after trying Presidents, Aristocrats Merkurs, Fat boys, ATTs, Chubbies, Feathers., all manner of foo foo soaps, and brushes that cost more than my first car and straight razors and hones that cost twice that.
Now 30 years later what do I like you ask?
Same old humble 40s super speed I started out with. Any good tallow soap will do, I do like a nice badger brush, but not for what you would think, I like them because they hold a butt ton of water and can 3 pass with lather in the brush. I face lather, a bowl is just more to clean up..
so here is my Alltime favorite stuff
Preshave: Never used nothing but a good splash of hot water or hot towel
Razor: a plain jane 40s SS (the same thing I started out on)
Soap: Cella by the brick because its good quality and dirt cheap , Croaps lather fast,then your done and its all I really ever need. I no longer need 50 soaps getting old, 4-5 gooduns will do just for variety
Blades: I prefer Astra SP or Polsilvers both excellent blades for the price point. almost always 5 shaves and good QC
Brush: Well here you got me, I am fond of me Rooneys but if I was on a budget a Semogue 1250 would do fine and did.
Straight Razor: When Im in the mood and have the time. About any good 6/8 extra hollow ground will do, I like one that is backsassy and noisy so do you can hear it working and know when Im smooth. Ill let you guys fight over the 9/8 dud wedges, trying to work that lawn mower blade under your nose.
Balm- Why? Never needed it with good tallow soap
Aftershave; Plain witch hazel if I don't want a scent, Chepo barbershop Bay Rum or Osage Rub for everyday and D R. Harris Windsor or similar for nicer outings
And that there folks, is the coming full circle on your shaving, Just settling down into the stuff you both like and enjoy, and what the heck try a new soap of scent once in a while but you find the stuff your happy with and what works for you.

Now

Last edited:
My first razor was a Parker 92r and 1st brush is a Parker Pure Badger.

If I could do it again, I'd probably get a better beginner razor like an EJ DE89 and an affordable Omega 10065 boar brush.

If I could go back in time while knowing what I know now, I'd save a good chunk of money :w00t:.

I would limit myself to the following:

Merkur 1904 open comb razor
Astra Super Platinums
Arko shave sticks
Maggard 24 mm synthetic brush
-and just keep using Old Spice.

Great thread, wish I had seen this months ago.

There are a lot of things I would do different, but the one thing I wish I had done, was some research, instead of impulse buying my first razor, brush, blades, etc.

- Set $75 aside and buy some good tools. It will save frustration early on and eliminate potential variables. I would recommend:
Easier said than done.

- Now that you have the tools, don't worry about them for six months. Just focus on technique. Map your beard, learn proper shave angle, learn about gradual beard reduction, light pressure, etc. Learn to make good lather, which should be easy with the cream.
Easier said than done.

- Don't change too many variables. When you run out of soap or cream, move on to another one. Don't worry about trying everything out there. Pick a few well-regarded soaps or creams and use them start to finish.
Easier said than done.

:lol:

:blushing:

Top Bottom