What's new

What I have learned- If I was starting over what would I do differently?

If I was starting over, what would I do differently?

• Before my first DE shave, somebody should have told me, "Up and down, good. Side to side, bad." I have yet to have a serious cut that wasn't a result of violating that rule.
  • I'd accept what my own senses were telling me, rather than try to bend reality to match something I'd read, no matter who wrote it.
  • When budgeting, watch the price tag. When judging, be blind to it.
  • Slow down with the purchasing. Nothing wrong with AD's, as I've enjoyed every minute of them, but what's the hurry? If I ever did get it all, then I'd be done, and that wouldn't be fun, would it?
  • I'd wake up every morning, face my den, and bow three times, each time saying "Technique Trumps Hardware"
  • I'd have taken more time to savor the flavor of being new to the game. There is an edge to discovery that mellows with experience, so be a wide eyed tyro, and enjoy it.
  • This is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. If I was buying something, trying something, or posting something and I wasn't smiling while I was doing it, I'd take a deep breath and reconsider.

Ah to begin again. It was a great time I wish I could repeat. I'm really not that far out of newb-dom myself, so I'll suggest that readers here keep that fact in mind. Nevertheless, I remember my first wet shave quite clearly, so there is that benefit. If I could start again, I'd be sure to consider the following:

1. Wet shaving has many variables. Change only one at a time. In the beginning, I often changed razor, soap, and lathering method from shave to shave. As a result, I never was able to figure out what part of my shave and prep made the experience particularly enjoyable or distressingly poor. Proceed slowly.

2. Fear not the straight razor! I switched to the straight (via the Dovo Shavette then a G. Wostenholm) pretty quickly, and now rarely use anything else. Its worth a try for any beginner, in my opinion. The Shavette is a great entry level tool. It is pretty forgiving, very sharp, and requires none of the daunting maintenance and expensive accessories 'real' straights necessitate.

3. Use the BST. It is almost always fairly priced and honest. Used is a good place to start with any piece of equipment or product.

4. I don't see any reason to buy an expensive soap right off the bat. There is a learning curve to lathering; inexperienced technique will likely waste it. Start with something pretty cheap and widely beloved, like Tabac or Proraso. I started with Col. Conk Amber.

5. Everyone on B&B has really specific ideas of what is right and good, and justifiably so. Many here have spent years honing (pun intended) their shaving skills and finding what works. For every person that hates a product, there is someone else that uses nothing else. Your mileage may vary.

6. Adjustable DE's are good. Lots here say a beginner should avoid them. I must disagree. To me, it is like getting nine razors in one. Just start with it set on a 1, and leave it there for at least several shaves to get the hang of it. I use my Slim set on 9 for WTG, 7 XTG, and 4 ATG. I thought DE shaving was unworkable until I got the adjustable.

Just my two cents.

1. I would have started off with a Chubby 2 from the beginning-density matters!

2. The recommended 'best' products are for a reason. You really cannot go wrong with GFT Coconut Shave Oil SC, DR Harris Arlington SS, Proraso SC or Tabac SS.

3. Blade sampler packs save time.

marty

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Why did it take me close to 5 years to embrace Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet Shaving Cream?!?! I'm totally spoiled now!
proxy.php

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm glad I haven't gone hog wild with AD's. I get that newbie experience all over again every time I try something new.

I believe my shave and lathering techniques are pretty square, but I still get stoked when I get a new soap, cream or brush. If I ever get a new razor (non-vintage) I will probably explode with excitement. I have been doing it this way for years and while some days I wish I had one of everything to try I really enjoy the anticipation of a new product.

If you can afford it, get a few lathering products with each order. You never know which one might not work for you. It's a real bummer to anticipate the arrival of a new soap and then find out you're allergic to it. With more than one, you have some others to fall back on. I got carried away last order and got 8, although 4 were for traveling, and sure enough two of them left me feeling a little underwhelmed.

Razor - Current favorite is a '53 Gillette President
Blades - Gillette 7o'clock yellow, or Astra SP
Brush- An old aluminum handled Rubberset found in an antique shop fitted with a TGN 26mm finest badger
Creams - NA(see soaps)
Soaps - Mitchell's, Cella, Arko, or Tabac
Aftershave- Thayer's lavender witch hazel with aloe on most days

I used the template from a previous poster, very handy

Template works nicely:

Razor - Mergress
Blades - Gillette 7 o'clock blues
Brush - a smaller Simpson two-band super, such as the PJ1 or Tulip2, or a Rooney Heritage two-band super silver-tip, such as the Beehive1 or Stubby 1 XL
Creams - Trumper's GFT or Art of Shaving Lemon
Soap - Art of Shaving Lemon
Pre-shave - Castle Forbes or Edwin Jagger (both non-oily)
Aftershave - Trumper's Extract of Limes Skin Food

I would focus on technique rather than equipment to get a good shave if I was starting again. Currently using Merkur hd With Astra blades and whatever soap and cream is available at the time

I would focus on technique rather than equipment to get a good shave if I was starting again. Currently using Merkur hd With Astra blades and whatever soap and cream is available at the time

I agree completely. Technique is much more important than equipment. I tried a bunch of different products, and initially used progressively more aggressive razors. Eventually, I found that, if I did it right, I got as good a shave with whichever razor, and almost any blade, I used.

At this point, my favorite setup is:

Razor- Pre-war Gillette Fat-handled Tech
Blade- Iridium, although of the currently produced blades, Astra SP and Med Prep Personnas are great
Brush- Semogue 610
Cream- I have a bunch in the closet and rarely use them
Soap- MWF, AoS
Aftershave - Speick ASL

Mike

To those of us who try to stick to a budget: be aware of re-branding, which can substantially increase the price of a product. As one example, some Omega-made brushes are sold under other brand labels at considerable mark-ups. It's not always clear who makes what--a phenomenon of today's world economy in general--but perusing B&B's threads can really help you to save some money. (Of course, they can also really help you to spend a lot of money!!!)

Hey, I am new here and still consider myself new to wet shaving with just over 2 years cartridge free. One thing I wish I would have done is picked up a leather case for my brush and DE razor right away.. After I noticed my brush was getting damaged while traveling in my shaving kit, I picked one up and it has been perfect ever since.. For those just starting out with wet shaving, if you have the option to pick up a leather case, don't hesitate.

Good thread!

Right now i'm on the point of wanting to buy/try all kinds of soap like T&H, DRH, TOBS etc. Everything looks interesting!

I'd better stick to my Proraso soap and Arko stick for a while I guess, working on technique. Well ok, maybe use the more luxuary TFS soap on sundays :)

I agree completely. Technique is much more important than equipment. I tried a bunch of different products, and initially used progressively more aggressive razors. Eventually, I found that, if I did it right, I got as good a shave with whichever razor, and almost any blade, I used.

At this point, my favorite setup is:

Blade- Iridium, although of the currently produced blades, Astra SP and Med Prep Personnas are great
Brush- Semogue 610
Cream- I have a bunch in the closet and rarely use them
Soap- MWF, AoS
Aftershave - Speick ASL

Mike

Scary but true: my recommendation would be very similar.

Blade- Personna lab
Brush- Semogue 610
Cream- N/A
Soap- MWF
Aftershave - Witch hazel, unrefined shea butter

I'm only a newbie but I would agree with those above who stress technique. Actually my technique is just to be very careful and go slowly (though my wife recently commended me in completing a shave in 20 minutes). Seems to work for me, as I've noticed that I'm steadily getting better at it. Main regret is that I wish I had started DE shaving much earlier!

My set up:
Razor- EJ D89L - see no need to change
Blade- Derby - tried Feather as they're easily available locally but they irritate my neck
Brush- EJ pure badger - seems to do the job well
Shaving Soap - Tabac
Aftershave - recently picked up Auslese aftershave and skin conditioner - wonderfully calming stuff!

Simon

Key is avoiding bad choices, there are many good choices. Let your face tell you what works. Change only one thing at a time. New wet shaver goal is a close comfortable shave. BBS comes with time, but is unnecessary. You will eventually find a combo that makes the close shave easier to achieve (fewer passes over same spot) with less chance of nicks or irritation. Some days will go better than others.

I leave out equipment that I have not used or have not been strongly favorably impressed. I have been impressed with the following user friendly razors and equipment:
Merkur HD a solid low cost performer, Gillette SS (1949, 1950s) very forgiving, gentle, and easy to use, Gillette Slim set to 3 to 5 then left alone (the 1st razor used by millions of older US males). I can shave with many razors and blades by adjusting my technique but prefer those which gives me an easy close shave with a low risk of nicks or irritation. Blades: Feather, Personna reds. Soaps; MWF, Cella, Tabac, ProRaso green. Brushes: Chubby 1 in Best, TGN Finest badger XH knot set in a custom or vintage handle about 50 mm long, Merkur Vision Silvertip, and various boar bristle brushes. Many brushes work for me, I continue to use my VDH Deluxe $9.00 brush. My softest brush is the Merkur Silvertip. The 26mm TGN Finest XH knot ($ 25.95 without handle) compares favorably to my Chubby Best knot when both are rubbed on my face at the same time. After Shave: Thayers Witch Hazel, Dominica Bay Rum, Old Spice, Clubman.

I have acquired most of my equipment from the BST and shaving classifieds and so far have not been burned. Disclaimer: I have never sold anything. I feel that it is best to acquire NOS or equipment with little wear. Restoring equipment with issues is often not cheaper and the end result product not as good as the less heavily used equipment.

Equipment that gets consistent positive reviews over many years is probably a good way to start while avoiding what may be only the latest trends,

I have chosen to not add very high cost equipment to this list as such equipment is burdensome for new shavers and not necessary to get a good shave.

Last edited:
I would have spent more time perfecting lathering since I dealt with a lot of crappy lather in the first months. And I would have learned earlier to hold the razor at a better angle (I was using a very shallow angle for a while and didn't get the angle right until I watched some Murray Carter videos and realized that a more obtuse angle with a nice, sharp blade gives you a better shave).

Admittedly I'm still a noob, but here are my stepping stones so far:

Give cold water shaving a try. It may provide a more comfortable shave and you might even end up liking it. I should have tried it earlier.

See if an alum block (potassium alum) does good for your skin. Applied to wet wet skin right after shaving it can have a calming and toning effect. Wish I had gotten one right away.

Comfortable and irritation free > BBS, don't get carried away whilst shaving.

"No pressure" really means no pressure. I found this surprisingly hard to grasp. Sort of like lightly working the clutch with stick shifting when learning to drive is hard to grasp at first, the feel for it needs to develop with practice.

And lastly, I should have started out with a heavier razor. Light razors tend to give rise to the urge to apply pressure, which leads to suffering.

That'd be all, for now.

Edit: Gear involved:
Gillette Fatboy G3, Astra Superior Platinum blade, Speick soap stick, cheap boar brush (face lathering), Osma alum block, Nivea Sensitive ASB

Last edited:
My story is a bit different than the others on this thread. I started wet shaving 10 years ago. My very first DE razor is a Merkur travel razor. I traveled a lot back then and I hated traveling with cartridge razors, the Merkur travel razor gave that "James Bond" feel to my razor setup. I was so happy with the performance that I ended up purchasing a Vision 4 piece razor set in 2003 from Classic Shaving and picked up a few more things from Shavemac. The soaps/creams I limited my self to were T&H, Trumper, and Haslinger. Aftershaves and Scents - T&H and TOBS and Trumper. The only razor blades that I knew that existed were Merkur blades. There was a lot of information out on the Net but it was scattered. There was no Badger and Blade Forum, no Shaving101, no Bullgoose, no West Coast Shaving, no Razor Blades and More, no Lee's Razors, no ShoeBox Shaveshop, et alia. Six years later I purchased a Merkur 34C and got into Santa Maria Novella as my main shaving soap.

The good in all this - for the past 10 years I really focused on technique. Because I didn't know that there were other blades available I was forced to focus on technique. Because there was no Badger & Blade I could only hone in on my technique. Blade angle/ razor pressure/ building a lather. You take away the distraction of Acquisition Disorders and wet shaving boils down to crafting your skill set (technique).

I don't think I would do anything differently, I'm glad I learned the techniques of wet shaving without distractions of ADs. These days we have this great community and a hell of a lot more resources for acquiring our hardware and software, lets never take this for granted - first piece of advice. Second piece of advice: Do Not let Acquisition Disorders give you a Learning Disorder. As stated by members on this thread, your shaving gear should not get in the way of refining your technique. There is nothing wrong with ADs. My ADs are in the scope of blades, soaps and creams. In being involved with this community, I hope to learn more about these aspects of wet shaving and reduce wasteful AD in these areas.

Thanks Jim for being so insightful as to start this thread.

Razor: Weber DLC

Brush: Simpson X2L

Blade: Feather

Soap: D.R. Harris Arlington

Cream: D.R. Harris Arlington

Aftershave: SMN Analcolica Emulsione

Last edited:
For the first few months I was bouncing around with different soaps and blades and razors, and a constantly irritated face. Then I went on a three month trip, living out of a small suitcase. So I took some very ordinary, drugstore grade stuff that I could replace along the way if necessary: Proraso white soap, an Omega boar brush, a Weishi travel razor, Wilkinson blades, and a bottle of Clubman. By the time I got back home, I was making great lather and getting close, comfortable shaves. Not varying my kit let me focus on technique.

If I were starting over, I'd just get a kit of drugstore grade stuff and shave with it for a couple of months. Then I'd treat myself to a nice razor and get used to it. Then a blade sampler. Then fancier soaps and brush. I would focus on technique rather than product at first. Easier said than done.

This is a great thread. As a newbie, I want to say thanks to all who shared information I find so valuable in my foray into traditional wet shaving:thumbup1:.

Jeff

Top Bottom