What's new

What I have learned- If I was starting over what would I do differently?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a slightly different point of view. I was doing ok with my technique. I had made a lot of progress, I’m sure.

Then I got an Athena. The Athena taught me to speak the “Razor” language. Before the Athena, I tried to bend the razor to my will, but the Athena taught me how to listen and feel, both, and let the razor guide me to the sweet spot, the best angle.

I might have learned this eventually, but I wonder.

Then we have the shave masters here on B&B. Not all that long ago, I was still struggling with my chin whiskers, even after the Athena lessons <eg> and Aaron/ @APBinNCA asked me if I was changing the angle of attack in my problem areas. I was, pure and simple. I’m having a much better time now shaving my chin and the areas surrounding it.

So, in my case, the equipment taught me how to shave and a master shaver refined my technique.

For me I would have just gone straight for the Henson razors. So much time and money wasted on uncomfortable or simply sub-par shaves.

Same goes with Proraso shaving creams. They just work for me. Great lather, scent and they provide enough slickness. Although I’m finding that Taylor of Old Bond Street is right up there for me too.

I don’t have a favorite blade. I find it to be too much fun trying out different blades to see how they do.

1. Spend a couple of days doing nothing but practicing lather. It's not a waste of product.

2. Only do one pass, maybe with some bits of touch-up, till you're good enough to avoid razor burn. Three passes of bad technique can leave your skin in pretty awful condition.

3. Ask for advice before choosing a blade to learn with. Don't shop by wrapper design or whatever. Instead, use what the most people recommend. Personally, I've found Astra SP to be a reliable, middle-of-the-road blade, and I think it would a good one to start with.

x4ykfz8iq5f91-ezgif.com-added-text.gif

Top Bottom