What's new

What I found today and almost missed it!

Ya know Ironhammer I think yours is an original case. I think both cases are originals. I have been looking at old ebay ads With Gillette Advertisements from 1908 and it says the "Standard" set cam with the razor and 12 blades in a velvet lined full leather case for $5.00. They then also have a tag line about "Combination" sets starting at $6.50-$50.00. I'm guessing the one Intriuged has in the nickel box is the low end combination set.

I did find mention of Gillette releasing the "New Process" blades in 1908 so maybe it has something to do with that.

I'll keep sifting through old ads and see if I can find mention of anything to do with the signature.

Jay

Last edited:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Jay, the information you have been able to find so far has been really impressive and interesting. Thanks for all the research. :thumbup1:

Well guys it appears they are probably both "Standard" Sets. I didn't want to repost the pic without permission but here is a link from Mr Razors site...

http://www.mr-razor.com/Werbung/C 1911 ABC.jpg

Now this ad is from 1911 but I am betting the model numbers stayed the same. That would make Ironhammers a No 460 Standard Set in Leather(Or pigskin but without seeing the case nearly impossible to tell)and Intrigueds would be the No 460B Standard Set in the Nickel Case.

Nothing more on the signatures yet but still looking.

Jay

Last edited:
Ok guys. Not sure if this is relevant but its one of the few things I found today. Bad news is its not our date range and it looks like the first contest was 1911. My google-fu must be getting weak:blush:. Its a google book entry from a 1912 Feild & Stream fishing contest. Pg 688 5th prize under Brook Trout lists part of a prize being a Gillette Combination Shaving Set with razor and case initialed. Probably means the winner got it engraved but its all I can find. Heres the link...

http://books.google.com/books?id=dH...q=field & stream gillette razor prize&f=false

Jay

Last edited:
Thanks, Jay! It's amazing how you are able to ferret this stuff out of the internet!

I don't think "initialed" would be the same as "signed", but it's still a cool find!

Its a google book entry from a 1912 Feild & Stream fishing contest. Pg 688 5th prize under Brook Trout lists part of a prize being a Gillette Combination Shaving Set with razor and case initialed. Probably means the winner got it engraved but its all I can find.

I would assume it's a personalized one of these:

proxy.php

the 1909 catalog lists them at $6.50, so accounting for any possible price increases and the cost of adding the engraving would get you to the $8 left in the prize value.

It's an interesting hit, nonetheless. The fourth place prize was a $20 gift certificate to a camping supply catalog run by David T. Abercrombie, who at this point had already left Abercrombie & Fitch.

proxy.php

Awesome razor. My wife likes stories like this. Unlike her, I've never been one fond of trips to flea market's or antique stores. This actually makes me want to give the flea markets a go, if it ever warms up and stops raining.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Oh, and Intrigued, all the early pics I have found the showed the Standard sets with open ended blade cases. The closed cases appear to have gone into effect with the "New Process" blades. They were very proud to introduce the new case with the new blades.

Edit-Not the picture I was looking for but here is a google book link to what I was trying to show

http://books.google.com/books?id=AU...w Process Ad&pg=RA1-PT157#v=onepage&q&f=false

View attachment 161007

Jay

That's really interesting! If I understand it right that would mean my set was probably put together in the second half of 1908 if the new blades were to be in stores by Sept. 1. :thumbup1:

Awesome razor. My wife likes stories like this. Unlike her, I've never been one fond of trips to flea market's or antique stores. This actually makes me want to give the flea markets a go, if it ever warms up and stops raining.

I have gotten my rarest razors and bargain prices at antique stores. I have developed quite an eagle's eye, that's for sure!

Todd,
I don't collect as you know I just shave with them; however that razor is one you would have to pry from my cold dead hands.
Everyone need to have an outstanding find one time in their shaving life. You also may have a bit of history you will be able to verify in yours.

Mike

Thought I would post pics of the final cleanup. I was able to get the purple lining cleaned up pretty nicely and I have two period-appropriate blade bins to complete the set. I didn't even attempt any restoration of the box. I kind of like it looking "well loved and worn" anyway.

I don't have pics of the inside of the case before I cleaned it up. Trust me, it was a LOT worse!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

You know, now that I get to looking at that serial number I think it's A388088. Anybody else getting that?

proxy.php

I think your right on that serial. I am kinda putting something together and I'll post it later in the Serial Number Thread. Don't know if it will help but it might narrow thngs down.

Jay

Top Bottom