What's new

What I found at TJ Maxx Today

Paid a visit to my local TJ Maxx. They must be gearing up for Father's Day.

The Crabtree & Evelyn container has three soap bars. I found the lime shaving cream a while back and like the scent. Good for summer.

IMG_5774.jpg

Proraso is an okay soap. I think it these prices it is worth it. But anything higher and you're better off going with a better performing brand.

however, I love the smell of that Red!

another good thing about it is that not too many retail stores have soaps at all. Much less ones at a low price.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Proraso is an okay soap. I think it these prices it is worth it. But anything higher and you're better off going with a better performing brand.

however, I love the smell of that Red!

another good thing about it is that not too many retail stores have soaps at all. Much less ones at a low price.

Proraso tube creams are some of the best available.

If they stuck a fancy label on it or called it artisan or LE, people would he signing up for release dates to buy it all up.

And you can't beat their metal tubes.

Proraso tube creams are some of the best available.

Definitely an opinion.

But I guarantee you that if I mixed up a lather of Proraso (even the cream) and had it side-by-side with a lather from Tabac, MWF, Fine, DR Harris, PDP, Arko, or even Williams.... So few people would choose the feel and performance of Proraso over the others, that its inferiority would just have to be accepted as a universal fact.

You can have your opinion. But when you state it like you did, I just feel a duty to the new shavers out there to let them know that most shaver's don't think like you do.

And you can be elitist about artisan soaps if you want, which I think is prejudiced and unfair . However, none of the soaps I mentioned could be classified as artisan at all.

@sugardaddy and your post is all opinion as well. I'd like to see the blind lather/shave test and guarantee put to the test, I have a feeling it would fail. Just based on my experience here.

You are also comparing a cream to soap in most of your examples, which is not a fair comparison. That said, I'd take Proraso tube creams over any of the soaps you listed

Use what you like and like that you use. That's my Moto.

Nice score. I've been waiting to see if the green AS splash appears on the shelves.

Yes, I've seen it and was able to purchase a bottle.

The problem with TJ Maxx is that these were one offs and I got all of them. Same with the green AS splash.

Burlington, Marshall's & TJ's around NYC all have Proraso tubes, tubs & cans around. Have seen Red, Green, White & Blue tubes, only red & green cans & tubs for a buck more. Other products out there too depending on the store.
As far as the quality, I've been using shave soaps, creams & croaps for quite a few years now & find Proraso to be a damned fine one.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

@sugardaddy and your post is all opinion as well. I'd like to see the blind lather/shave test and guarantee put to the test, I have a feeling it would fail. Just based on my experience here.

You are also comparing a cream to soap in most of your examples, which is not a fair comparison. That said, I'd take Proraso tube creams over any of the soaps you listed

Use what you like and like that you use. That's my Moto.

What I said was opinion, yes. But I believe I worded it so it was easy to understand as opinion. That's kind of my whole point.

Also, you are right, I was comparing soaps to creams, inadvertently . I rarely use creams and so I would have to defer to someone like you perhaps who has more experience in that . To me, a lather is a lather and I believe that creams if they're worth anything should be comparable with soaps . But yes, my bad, I retract my assertion because I don't have enough knowledge to compare cream versus cream.

But I do believe that you would be in the minority if you would take a Proraso cream over the soaps that I've listed ( Based on latherer field and performance). But it's okay. We can agree to disagree. I do know there are some people who think Proraso is the greatest thing in the world.

But yes, we do agree that everyone is different and we all get to choose what we like and enjoy it.

Soooo after the funny exchange on this thread, picked up a Red and Green tub from Marshall’s for $4.95 a pop. Never tried the tubs, only the tube creams and looking forward to trying them out.

Anybody else want to contribute what they have found at TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Home Goods/Sierra Trading etc? I’m afraid you’re not going to find artisan stuff at those places.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Soooo after the funny exchange on this thread, picked up a Red and Green tub from Marshall’s for $4.95 a pop. Never tried the tubs, only the tube creams and looking forward to trying them out.

Anybody else want to contribute what they have found at TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Home Goods/Sierra Trading etc? I’m afraid you’re not going to find artisan stuff at those places.

Didn't have a brush so I picked up a cheap Izod set that had a brush and cream from Burlington. The brush seems to work fine with the proraso. I think it was also 4.99.

Didn't have a brush so I picked up a cheap Izod set that had a brush and cream from Burlington. The brush seems to work fine with the proraso. I think it was also 4.99.

I was tempted to buy a kit I saw there with a synthetic brush, mug and small tube of cream. Tempted because I don’t have a mug or brush at work. Forgot the brand name but it has a mustache on the mug. Synthetic fibers didn’t look half bad, small but thick knot. $4.95 as well. Might grab it on the way home and share.

Just tried the Proraso Red in the tub. I’ve used the tube creams, Red and Green for a bunch of years. I have to say that using the tub resulted in a slightly more slick experience and I think a more comfortable shave.

From reviews, I read that there was more work involved with lather but I did not find this to be the case. I didn’t pre-soak, I just wet down my Plissoft brush with hot water, shook off the excess water, put it in the tub and gave it a spin. Lather was quick and took no real effort. Found myself doing more of a face lather. Nice, thick long lasting lather.

Depending on how long these tubs last, I may just buy these in the future instead of the tube cream. The tube cream lasts me about 5 months. I still love the tube cream but I think this is just a bit better. Not bad for $4.95

Top Bottom