Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Arkansas Oilstones

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I have HAD- All of the above

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Dinosaur gizzard stone, quarried from the Gobi Desert

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
Thank you @Alum of Potash ! I'm going to try lather too. Do you have/use the slurry stone on the Anchor?

Cheers, Steve

I'm not a big fan of using slurries in general. But when I did try the Anchor for the first time, I attempted to start a slurry as that was mentioned on the website description. After some rubbing, little or no slurry appeared, so I went with what little was there before switching to water with a little dish-washing soap to emulsify things. Later, I wrote to Matt mentioning little or no slurry, and he confirmed that a slurry really wasn't needed there. So just water for me as the underlying work (up to 8k as recommended) has already been done.

Jnat finisher with Atoma slurry dilution and a rarely used 4/8k Shapton Glass progression. Atoma slurry has made a big difference for me as far as consistency of sharp/smooth edges. Either that or the more I hone the better I get. I like keeping it simple.

It didn't happen without pictures.
As promised; 3 coticules in three days.
The largest:7" x 1 13/16th - like a cross between the "scratchy" and "glassy" types. Really smooth feel.

Middle one: Very hard. Unresponsive feel under the blade.

The wee one: Came on a wooden paddle, the sheath for which says "German Stone and Strop" (distributer / historic circumstance / linguistic designation..? Who knows).

Maybe I'll add new leather & re-stick the stone. There's a concave in the original surface, so the "off" side is now the honing surface, and it is extremely hard, almost hybridish, with a (quartz?) inclusion. Shame it's so small.
coti new final.png

As promised; 3 coticules in three days.
The largest:7" x 1 13/16th - like a cross between the "scratchy" and "glassy" types. Really smooth feel.

Middle one: Very hard. Unresponsive feel under the blade.

The wee one: Came on a wooden paddle, the sheath for which says "German Stone and Strop" (distributer / historic circumstance / linguistic designation..? Who knows).

Maybe I'll add new leather & re-stick the stone. There's a concave in the original surface, so the "off" side is now the honing surface, and it is extremely hard, almost hybridish, with a (quartz?) inclusion. Shame it's so small.
View attachment 909527
Thanks for posting.

Your descriptions are really useful.

Can't vote for two stones... for the last 7 months all my razor work is done in two stones.

A big polishing coticule.
A vintage buttercup arkansas.

The crazy thing is that I keep learning, and the edges improving.

Next on my list is a blue/ black arkansas. Not sure if there is anything that can refine an edge futher?

Doesn't surprise me, very technical stones. Require a lot of dedication to tune up, technique and patience to coerce the great edges they are capable of.

Wow...Glad to see another Arkansas fan. I can't believe there's only 3 votes so far.
I was tempted to vote for Arks, but quality ones are expensive to get to Britain, so I only have a few.
Sadly.
The Germans seem to love them, and it'd be cheaper to get them from there, but I prefer to get them from the "source".

Top Bottom