What's new

What have you “settled on”?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

What have you “settled on”?​

Settled is a terrible word. Settled is what you do when your in a marriage prison, she's got the key, and there's no way out. The minute you buy something new, you'll fight with the war department until you surrender, because you know, that is your only recourse. Because If you don't settle, the misses will put an opened stick of Arko under your pillow, making you think she had your side fumigated for dandruff insurgence.

I've only been traditional wet shaving with DE for 8-momths, close to 9 now. But in this time, I found my dream razor, a PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable in Rose Gold. And since I fell in love with Stirling soaps, I've really taken a strong liking to Stirling Wintergreen shave soap.

I have also fallen in love with PAA Ice 2.0 PreShave Cube, it produces a slick lather on it's own, there's no question who the king of PreShave slickness is! My favorite shave brush is my Cayune Workshop Dark Nebula shave brush, with the 26mm Tuxedo synthetic knot. I also love my Cayune Workshop Dark Nebula matching shave bowl as well.

With blades, its gotta be Wizamets all the way. Nothing says sharp and smooth like having a Wizamets slice whiskers off. For aftershave, I'm going all in with Duke Cannons Ice Menthol aftershave balm. And because I'm addicted to menthol, there's nothing like that Chill Mill grinder from PAA, to bring the cool, to my lather.

For frags, I haven't tried very many, I'm not really a frag connoisseur. But if the ones I have tried, anything that smells like Creed Aventus is a winner for me. Stirling Executive Man EAU De Toilette is a favorite of mine. I'm thinking about trying out other alternatives as well

Razor- Blackland Era, Level 5
Blade- Gillette Platinum, Bic Chrome Platinum or Personna Lab Blue
Soap- Noble Otter Barrbarr
Brush- RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic
Bowl- Captain’s Choice Seaworthy
Witch Hazel- Stirling Unscented
After Shave- The only real variable anymore 🤣

Every time I think I'm settled...I'm not. However, I have settled on a brush (RazoRock synthetic) and a couple of creams (C.O. Bigelow and Palmolive Classic). My razor and blades of choice (or handle + cartridges) have yet to be determined, but I feel like I'm starting to come towards a conclusion on those.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Every time I think I'm settled...I'm not. However, I have settled on a brush (RazoRock synthetic) and a couple of creams (C.O. Bigelow and Palmolive Classic). My razor and blades of choice (or handle + cartridges) have yet to be determined, but I feel like I'm starting to come towards a conclusion on those.

Hasn’t C.O. Bigelow discontinued their cream? Are you referring to the green tubed rebrand of Proraso?

Because all the Bath & Body stores here where I used to all ways get it, say the don’t carry/ stick it anymore?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don’t know if I have settled, it’s more of a natural gravitation or evolving.

I have spent a few years now pairing my den way down. Not an absolute attempt at being a minimalist, but minimalist enough and still enjoy a bit of variety while not getting into a rut of the ‘same ole same ole’.

4 soaps to represent the seasons,

Fall: L’Occitane Cade,
Winter: Haslinger Schafmilch
Spring: La Toja
Summer: Proraso
Travel: Arko stick

One of each type Razor,

DE: Gillette Super Blue
SE: GEM Push Button
Straight: Dovo Bismarck 6/8
Shavette: Sanguine R5
Travel: Vintage Trac II

Brush:

Plisson Maison du Barbier 22mm synthetic. I am looking for another synthetic with a 20mm knot for travel. Also keep an Omega #10029 ‘Baby Pro’ Boar for proper Italian shaves with Proraso in the Summer months.

I have a huge aftershave collection of many, modern & vintage aftershaves obtained years ago, plus my Bootlegger’s Series. If I could go back and do it again, I would probably not collect over 200 splashes. Probably just do a few of the drugstore classics and my Bootlegger’s.

Hasn’t C.O. Bigelow discontinued their cream? Are you referring to the green tubed rebrand of Proraso?

Because all the Bath & Body stores here where I used to all ways get it, say the don’t carry/ stick it anymore?
I'm not sure, but I know I can still order it on Amazon, which is usually where I get it.

For me it's EJ3One6, it has just right amount of agresiveness, balance and weight
Simpson Trafalgar T3, it just works amaizing, lot's of lather, soft but firm
Blade, Nacet. I'm in proces of testing other lades but nothing comes close to Nacet regarding sharpness, smoothness and durability
Proraso Blue. Green is nice Menthol, Red is nice Sandalwood, TOBS is nice also, but Blue is the best, it's unscented, smooth nice lather, amaizing stuff
AS, Nivea 2in1, Deep or balm, or proaso green can't decide, depends on the mood

Decided on Timeless Ti .68 SB and selling all others but do plan on getting a TI 95 SB to test
Captains Choice cream has moved into #1 over SV am going to do another run with all my soaps one last time as I just want the best performer and backup
blades still testing but I know Nacet and green 7 are my favs so all will have to beat these two I have about 50 dif blades to run through again ! So going to take a while

Brush is now the SV Muhle STF and will try a few other synths APShave most likely but no hurry for this but will try my Semogue badger a few more times and decide

razors I still want to try will be Tatara and maybe Charcoal goods daily but I love Ti so much and the lighter weight so not sure on the charcoal ?

But next up is going to be the Kai Kasho Captain artist just to see what those are about either will end quickly or take me down another rabbit hole I reckon

a minimalist who does just want to use my fav things so no wanting to collect unless a few items offer me something the other does not and performs the same like a soap or aftershave I could be Ok with multiple ? But would only be a couple

reckon now the only thing I will eventually end up the most of will be EDT/EDP

. . . no matter how long I live, I still won't have time for all the things I want to do, I won't hear all the music I want to hear, I won't be able to read all the books I want to read, I won't have all the women I want to have, I won't be able to do a twentieth of the things I want to do . . .

-- Alphonso de Portago

My soap and splash scents change seasonally.

For the post shave I have settled with thayer’s witch hazel.

I use the merica razor and will be pairing it with a feather blade mostly.

I’ve been exploring the Tatra blade recently and am enjoying it but the feather is the Payton Manning of my blades and remains on the A team.

Settled with unscented pre-shave oil

I have settled with Simpson t3 synthetic brush.
Right now it’s the only brush I use because overall it is a great brush (some what a be-all end-all brush).
However I’m now bored of the t3 and synthetic in general. It’s a good work horse but doesn’t carry any spunk.

Waiting for the boar to get here to join the A squad and put t3 on 2nd string.

If I had to pick 1 soap (as like a baseline or whatever) it would be Eucalyptus mint with maybe a lavender splash.

There’s been some changes:

I now have a blade rotation:
Feather
Tatra
Shark
Persona

My brush is the semogue 620

Captains Choice ceramic scuttle.

I say that every time I try something new. Then I get fed up. And I’m running out of new things to try. The only thing I’ve bought more than once in the past 20 years is Proraso. I’m due for another Proraso if I can finish my Martin de Candre stash.

Muhle across the board. Razor. Blade. Brush. Soap. Aftershave balm. 1 pass shave. Best shave.

Martin soap.
Cella soap.
Caswell Massey for fancy soap.
Sebum gold for daily use.

Plisson shavette.

Top Bottom