What's new

What have you people done to me?

I'll address some of these recurring mentions of SEs and straights.

As for SEs: please correct me if I'm wrong, gentlemen, but I see them as razors with blades that have half the life of a DE blade. There are some very aesthetically pleasing SE razors, to be sure, but for me practicality sort of wins out here. As I said, please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for straights: well, isn't that the "holy grail" for most of us? I absolutely intend for this journey to encompass straight razor shaving. I'm staying away from them for the time being because I want to come as close as I can to mastering DEs, and I really don't have the funds right now to get into a good straight. Also, I won't lie; the prospect of honing and stropping is extremely intimidating.

I'll address some of these recurring mentions of SEs and straights.

As for SEs: please correct me if I'm wrong, gentlemen, but I see them as razors with blades that have half the life of a DE blade. There are some very aesthetically pleasing SE razors, to be sure, but for me practicality sort of wins out here. As I said, please correct me if I'm wrong.
SE blades are thicker and substantially more stiff than DE blades. Consequently they last much longer. I average 3-4 shaves with any DE blade and usually discard a SE blade after about 8-10 shaves. Even at 8-10, the blades probably have a few shaves left in them when I toss them.

SE shaving is a different monster than DE shaving is. The first round with my 1912 left me with a bad case of razor burn and more than a few cuts/weepers. The techniques are that different. After a little fine-tuning, I prefer the feel of the SE and find that I get a closer shave in fewer passes than I do with most of the DEs in my rotation.

As others have said... Just do it.

I went 2 weeks with only my trusty Superspeed..... Then I found this website.....

~ 1 month later I have ~ 40 razors and more on the way. My plan is to try them out, PIF, sell or trade the ones that don't fit me, and use that to purchase other equipment, soap, creams, etc.

Now I'm watching something like 20 different vintage Gillettes on my eBay page.... it's your fault I'm like this.

I know. I have your soul sitting in a jar on my desk. It's alright, I'll release it eventually... probably some time after you sell me your first sheraton.
}thunderclap{
Mooohooohahahahaha!
[cough]
-- Chet

Veritas,

I got the Tech in the mail this afternoon! I don't know how it made it here so fast, but I'm not complaining. I've been letting my beard grow in anticipation, and I'm going to shave with it here in about an hour. I've loaded it with a Personna (which I've never used). I'll report back!

Thanks again!

I was just fine with my Amboyna Burl Merkur 34G from eliterazor.com until I joined this site.

Now I'm watching something like 20 different vintage Gillettes on my eBay page. I want a (forgive my possible novice terminology):

Black Tip
Red Tip
Flare Tip
Adjustable Slim
Fatboy
Senator
Sheraton
Aristocrat
Tech

What am I supposed to do? I feel like you guys should send me paypal donations towards a vintage razor... y'know... on account of it's your fault I'm like this. B&B is the worst and best online community I've ever joined.

They did it to me too.:001_smile

Just think, shaving with a vintage Gillette is not just whacking whiskers,
It's living a bit of history at the same time, you can shave with a razor from
the same year you were born or an anniversary razor or any number of reasons to go out and get one. I have memorial razors from the first time I ever saw a shirt I like or to commemorate the first time I changed a flat tire, all kinds of landmarks in life you can use for a good excuse to just let go of the money and shake hands with history.

I have memorial razors from the first time I ever saw a shirt I like or to commemorate the first time I changed a flat tire, all kinds of landmarks in life you can use for a good excuse to just let go of the money and shake hands with history.

I know exactly what you mean. I have a razor to commemorate that burrito I had for lunch on Wednesday three weeks ago. I decided to get a razor to commemorate the consumption of a Pepcid right after that burrito, and another razor to memorialize the washing of my hands after swallowing the Pepcid. After getting back to my desk, as I was cleaning under my fingernails, I decided to commemorate that cleaning with another razor. Then I resharpened my pencil, which was such a meaningful sharpening that I wanted a razor as a momento of the occasion. Then my friend Eric came by to chat about the new project, and it was such a meaningful and life-changing conversation that I selected another razor as a souvenir. That was one helluva Wednesday, and I'm reminded of it every time I have to shave. -=sigh=- Wednesday, you were awesome.
-- Chet

When the bug bites it bites hard. I have 20+ razors and have settled down to about four. Ideally, I should settle down to one but then that means I wasted a bunch of money. Duh.

Top Bottom