What's new

What have you concluded from your shaving hobby?

You guys said it all - not least this:

Before I started wet shaving I could never have imagined that I could be so excited about what was coming in the mail, or watching men shaving on YouTube, or being part of a great online community

For me also the following:

1 - I absolutely love DE wet shaving. Shaving now has become my ME time representing calmness and focus
2 - Gillette Adjustables are the coolest industrial design things EVER MADE - looks, feel, story, and they work best!!
3 - My Acquisition Syndromes will only be with creams, aftershaves and DE travel cases
4 - I won't get RAD ... only need a Black Beauty ... and maybe a Tech Travel... and...
5 - I absolutely love DE wet shaving...!!
:a50:

Last edited:
A hobby?

Woodworking?...yes.
Restoring old cars?...you bet.
Coin collecting?...absolutely.

Shaving?...I don't think so.

Perhaps the word hobby is a bit strong. I too don't see wet shaving as a hobby, but rather a part of grooming--a ritual perhaps. Combing one's hair (not that I've had to do that for years) isn't a hobby either. That being said, collecting razors, soaps/creams and the like could be considered a hobby.

Perhaps the word hobby is a bit strong. I too don't see wet shaving as a hobby, but rather a part of grooming--a ritual perhaps. Combing one's hair (not that I've had to do that for years) isn't a hobby either. That being said, collecting razors, soaps/creams and the like could be considered a hobby.

There you go. It's a hobby or you wouldn't be here.

I just have so much fun with the DE shave, rotating my various lather bowls, scuttles, razors, brushes and aftershaves. then i'll rub my face during the day and marvel at the shave that i've gotten.

there's always a plan B.

I just have so much fun with the DE shave, rotating my various lather bowls, scuttles, razors, brushes and aftershaves. then i'll rub my face during the day and marvel at the shave that i've gotten.

there's always a plan B.

There is a plan B?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Not to believe every thing I read , shaving is very individual and what works for one doesn't always transfer to another person .
- In my experience there are vintage razors that shave as well as the modern beauties.
- I like to read about other shavers choices and experiences and this has led me try a wide variety of products
- I enjoy collecting
- I like that there are a wide variety of opinions and there are no absolutes and it is good to have a place to share with like minded individuals
- I did not expect that shaving would become a passion and a relaxation
- Every shave is a different experience to be enjoyed for it's own merits
- I'm not chasing the perfect shave or set up , I enjoy the variety.
- Never judge a razor until you have used it over a period of time and have revisited it more than once
- The joy at getting a new razor doesn't gets old

Glenn

I have concluded that I now have way more razors than I need. No I 'm not sending them to anyone either. Plus I need a few more.

Thankful for sites like this that helped me find the best shave and the products I like best. I don't have any AD's and have settled into a routine that consistently works great for me.

I wouldn't describe it as a hobby, but:

1. What was always a pleasure is now an indulgence, and the most indulgent bit is a gentle, luxurious, face lather.

2. That I prefer soaps to creams, but I like both.

3. That an open comb is my favourite type of razor, but I like all DEs.

4. That I never fail to get a kick using a vintage product: I feel reconnected to my heritage in some way.

5. That perfection (or its pursuit) is the enemy of the good.

6. That I love being part of a community of interested and interesting individuals (to many of whom I'm grateful for their wisdom and advice), who behave as true gentlemen, don't swear, and who know how to disagree without being disagreeable.

1. Shaving is not a hobby, although collecting the stuff may be
2. There are a lot of silly terms used like 'Shave Den' and 'proto-lather'
3. Neck area: Great is the enemy of good enough. Sometimes it's OK to get to good enough with no burn or irritation
4. Starting out, trying new blades is the way to go. While technique improves, if you can find a blade that works, then go with it and worry about the rest later. But if you don't try several, how will you come to realize that Derby sucks? :001_302:
5. I like brushes with a bit of scratchiness to them vs softer. Pure badger works for me and price is right.
6. Great community here, very knowledgable - although ya'll are a bunch of enablers when it comes to RAD, SAD, etc :001_tt2:
7. Vintage razors are just plain cool
8. DE shaving is definitely more fun than carts or electric, not to mention a better shave that lasts longer

What that guy said.

Even though I have more soaps & brushes than necessary, I've been using product up and haven't bought any new soaps, creams, or blades in several months. My conclusion after trying all the stuff I could is that all one needs is a single razor, brush, soap or cream, and blade that suits him or her well. When my current stock is used I'll be going more of a minimalist route. I'll keep a soap and a cream onhand, along with a finest for soap a silvertip for the cream, my EJ, and Nacet blades.

Now when it comes to AS, a different scent for each day of the month should be adequate!

OK, I see a few people object to the word "hobby". Shaving itself may not be a hobby (though with a DE I find it quite enjoyable and relaxing unlike with an electric or a cartridge), but all the other stuff associated with it is (if you don't use a cartridge and can of shave cream or gel). Collecting brushes, mugs, creams, soaps, razors, blades, and other tools associated with shaving is a hobby. Even if you don't have more than one of anything, the whole process of using a brush to lather some cream or shave soap, and using a supposedly antiquated style of shaving with a DE, SE or straight puts it in (or at least near) the category of hobby.

That said, I learned...

1. That I can actually enjoy shaving (I may never go back to a beard)
  2. That shaving (or the stuff associated with it) can actually be a hobby
  3. That there is no reason to be afraid of somewhat aggressive razors just because you are still pretty new to it
  4. That there really is no reason to avoid open combs
  5. That I love open combs
  6. How YMMV it can be: there really is no objective way to rate razors, brushes, etc
  7. That maybe I will get into collecting vintage razors too
  8. That I might possibly like boar and synthetic brushes better than badger (so maybe I shouldn't have avoided them in at first)

Graydog

Biblical Innards
What I have come to realize
If one finds a few Razors and blade combos and a few perfect soaps or creams
and the You just love the few brushes you have found and get a BBS with every Shave. as My Wife always says why do you keep looking if you are happy.
I have come to the conclusion that it is time to clear out the way to many razors I have and only keep a handful
and sell off the rest. It is a waste of a Razor to sit in a cabinet and not be used.
Do not buy anymore soaps or creams , I have enough to last My lifetime

As much as I loved changing to DE shaving 6 or 7 years ago . . .

There are times I wish I had a good electric razor for when I'm in a hurry. But there is no such thing.

If you really get into it, you WANT to compare blades, soaps, etc., but it WILL drive you crazy and cost lots of money.

Bay Rum. I have 9.

Other silly ones. I have 15. Yes, at LEAST 9 of them I wish I hadn't bought, because now I have to use them up, but I just can't bring myself to throw them away.

Time. I'm getting older. My face is getting more lined. And some of those neat creams that I bought still haven't been opened. What to do?

Blades. There is a FEATHER blade available in Japan that absolutely sucks. Really. It's horrible. Caveat Emptor.

I haven't been DE shaving all that long -- just under a couple of months -- so my own mileage may yet vary. So far, however, I have learned...

• It's the sharpened edge of the blade that does the work;
  • The edge of a Feather blade is nicely sharpened;
  • Like any other precision cutting job, good shaving requires the blade to address the work at a certain angle; too steep or too shallow yields poor results;
  • I cannot see the edge of a razor blade as it engages my whiskers in the same sense as seeing the edge of a chisel engaging a block of wood; I can only gauge by touch and by sound;
  • It is much easier to shave with a DE blade using some sort of tool to hold it in position while protecting the fingers from contact with the sharpened edges;
  • A Muhle R41 performs that function very nicely;
  • Skill is required to obtain consistently good results from any such activity, and DE shaving is no exception; skill comes from intelligent practice;
  • Access to the accumulated wisdom of others engaged in the same pursuit can dramatically increase the intelligence of one's practice;
  • Badger & Blade -- i.e., you kind gents -- provides such access, very nicely indeed!
Thanks to all of you!

Top Bottom