What's new

What have you concluded from your shaving hobby?

I have learned that my morning shave is my refuge from the crazy world;
I have learned that a bad shave can ruin my entire day;
Before I started wet shaving I could never have imagined that I could be so excited about what was coming in the mail, or watching men shaving on YouTube, or being part of a great online community;
I enjoy shaving with vintage DE, SE and SRs;
I have learned that I always have room for one more razor in my collection;
When I am feeling down about the vicissitudes of life ordering a new soap or AS or brush can make me feel better and more able to face the world;
I wish I could be a minimalist, but I know that will never happen.

i really enjoy DE shaving now, i make sure i have enough time to do it well, and i love to read B&B.

there's always a plan B.

ca·nard
kəˈnär(d)/
noun
noun: canard; plural noun: canards
  1. 1.
    an unfounded rumor or story.
The primary English meaning of "canard" comes from the Medieval French expression “Vendre des canard à moitié.” The meaning literally is “to sell ducks by half.”

That is not true. (the primary meaning) As you can see the 1st meaning in the dictionary is the one I posted:
an unfounded rumor or story.

I have concluded that the actual shaving is what I enjoy more than anything else. I am completely happy with a synthetic brush and face lathering, because it gets me shaving faster. My razor is a tool, so as long as it completes it's task well, I am happy with it. Hence I use the same Dovo straight everyday. I do really enjoy beautiful razors though. So I will use others and keep others to look at and restore. Brand doesn't matter to me, so much as the look of the blade. Lastly, Sandalwood is my favorite scent so far.

Je parle francais; je suis canadien. (If you look up 'canard' in wikipedia, you'll find that the English comes directly from the punchline of a French joke.) It's like someone using the phrase 'base canard'. I get this picture of a six foot duck with strings on it.

Je parle francais; je suis canadien. (If you look up 'canard' in wikipedia, you'll find that the English comes directly from the punchline of a French joke.) It's like someone using the phrase 'base canard'. I get this picture of a six foot duck with strings on it.

So a Canardian is a French Canadian born humorous entertainer..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it's been the consumbles like soaps, creams, splashes etc... they did not and are not going down as fast as I thought they would but i kept buying and buying.

IMG_6140.jpg
IMG_6141.jpg

A good shave not only brings great pleasure, but can also lift your spirit and bolster confidence.

I now have an unfounded fear that my son may not want to shave with DE or straights, so I gave him a DE and brush when he was 4 years old. I now fear that he may never learn a proper lather by watching his technique at age 5....

For me it's been the consumbles like soaps, creams, splashes etc... they did not and are not going down as fast as I thought they would but i kept buying and buying.

If it makes you feel better, I have a full puck of VDH, and then I bought a case of 12 sticks of Arko - and I just ordered a stick, and a jar, of Palmolive. Next is a stick of Derby...

A hobby?

Woodworking?...yes.
Restoring old cars?...you bet.
Coin collecting?...absolutely.

Shaving?...I don't think so.

I don't think that shaving is really a hobby for me. It's part of my daily grooming routine.

I intend to use one razor and stick with it. Still looking for the one, although I could easily stick with my Parker Variant and use it exclusively until it wears out.

With blades I have found four that I really like. I could use any of them exclusively, I don't really feel compelled to try others.

Brushes are the least part of the equation for me, I have two that I like and I don't need another.

Soaps I like. I enjoy the different scents and will continue to find new ones. But truthfully I could use Edge gel every day without my quality of life degrading.

I DO like this forum. It's well run and civil. The members are helpful, generous and all around good people. I have learned a lot and I enjoy the time that I spend here.

My wife has concluded from my shaving hobby that if I am a bit stressed after work she just need to say FCOL go have a shower and a shave.... I always come out in a better mood.
Even if I put too much water in the lather and my shave mug capsizes and sinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom