What's new

What have you bought this month because you could?

Ordered a couple pucks of Mitchells Wool Fat Soap. I have almost a full puck of Tabac and a puck of MWF in reserve already. Now that Tabac has changed I may order a more pucks of MWF and stick with it going forward.

Ordered a couple pucks of Mitchells Wool Fat Soap. I have almost a full puck of Tabac and a puck of MWF in reserve already. Now that Tabac has changed I may order a more pucks of MWF and stick with it going forward.
And then some more 😃

This time 👻
That's very true, but more than a decade of intensive hoarding has supplied with more shaving goods that you'll find in a very well assorted shaving store. If I feel an urge for something different there's always something I haven't used the last five years or so.
The one thing I sometimes long for are those American shaving soaps that aren't available from vendors in the EU, soaps like PdP63, B&M or Stirling Shadow Orchid. Alas the last few year's steep increase of shipping costs, added VAT and customs charges means that a $15 US soap cost about $45 delivered. This means that I'll stick to soaps like Sapofinicio Varesino, Klar and MdC. They cost less and are great so I guess I can live with it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I bought a vintage Seaforth Heather shave mug, a vintage Seaforth Heather aftershave and cologne bottle.
I also bought the new Seaforth Heather soap, aftershave and cologne, then transfered them all to the vintage containers.
Happy happy!

The one thing I sometimes long for are those American shaving soaps that aren't available from vendors in the EU, soaps like PdP63, B&M or Stirling Shadow Orchid. Alas the last few year's steep increase of shipping costs, added VAT and customs charges means that a $15 US soap cost about $45 delivered. This means that I'll stick to soaps like Sapofinicio Varesino, Klar and MdC. They cost less and are great so I guess I can live with it.
If you have friends travelling to the US, ask if they would be so kind as to act as a courier. If they agree, try to arrange delivery to their accommodation. Some US sites don't like US address delivery with foreign credit cards though.

That's very true, but more than a decade of intensive hoarding has supplied with more shaving goods that you'll find in a very well assorted shaving store. If I feel an urge for something different there's always something I haven't used the last five years or so.
I dont want to be responsible for fueling your hording habit, but did you check maggardrazors ? I think they actually have moderate international shipping fees to EU.

For now 😎

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I recently bought a 1964 vintage gillette tech my birth razor 100 GSBs razor blades and a Fatip piccolo. I hadn't bought anything in while and just thought why not treat myself

It's not the shipping fees to the EU, but VAT and customs charges that inflate the prices.
Indeed.
Soap cost (including US VAT): $16
Shipping to the EU: $17
EU Customs handling cost: $15
EU VAT 25%: $4
Total cost delivered to buyer: $52

Ten years ago the cross Atlantic shipping fees were a out half of what they are today and less than 10 percent of the packages where charged customs. These days ALL packages get scanned and registered upon arrival in the EU. It is only the best selling American shaving goods that are available through EU vendors at reasonable prices. To paraphrase a long gone British prime minister: An iron curtain has been set up across the Atlantic.

Then again there are very many first class makers of shaving goods in the EU.

Legion

Staff member
I’ve bought a silly number of knife hones in the last month, you would think I am setting up a sharpening business, which I am definitely not.

Indeed.

Ten years ago the cross Atlantic shipping fees were a out half of what they are today and less than 10 percent of the packages where charged customs. These days ALL packages get scanned and registered upon arrival in the EU. It is only the best selling American shaving goods that are available through EU vendors at reasonable prices. To paraphrase a long gone British prime minister: An iron curtain has been set up across the Atlantic.

Same issues here in the UK with products from the USA, also VAT from the EU since we thought it wise to leave.

If I ever go to the US for a holiday, I will have to plan it well and come back with a suitcase full of soaps and Tony Miller strops.

Indeed.

You just need to order more items 😜 the more you order, the cheaper the handing fee and the shipping will be per item. Ordering one is just not efficient.

Top Bottom